Washing clothes

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a big supply of underwear and socks and wear clothes more than once. I do laundry at friends or family's houses when I am near or I go to a laundromat. I always check the ratings before I go.

Caryn

"Where does the dirty-soapy water go when you're out in the boonies?"

Usually into the ground. One hopes that they use an environmentally friendly detergent and do their disposal at least a couple of hundred feet from any water source.

If it costs me ten or twelve dollars to do my laundry, that's barely over minimum wage for one hour's work in the states around here. It's just not cost-effective to do it in camp unless you're broke and desperate.

ok I need to answer some of these questions.

1. besides the actual cost of the laundry mat, what if you are miles from the closet laundry mat over rough roads that take a day to get there and back? what's the cost then?
2. natural water sources are everywhere even in the desert. I have no problem doing wash with untreated water.
3. most of the time I don't use soap. dirt and dust washes out with water. if you have to use soap dig a hole. what do you think septic systems do with the soapy water. most small towns are on septic systems. btw you want to minimize soap use anyway, it takes less water to rinse.
highdesertranger

Milk Hauler said:
Where does the dirty-soapy water go when you're out in the boonies?

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Nobody is actually washing their clothes out in the desert. Unless you're going to dip water out of the Colorado River... there is no water. There is a laundromat with free Wi-Fi down the hill and the other side of the interstate. If you are actually van dwelling 365 days a year the idea of washing your own clothes is quite impractical. Many interesting and innovative ideas that you might conceive and think will work.... actually don't when you become a full-time van dweller. I am camped in Ehrenberg with probably 15 other people and nobody here is washing their own clothes. The other concept is that very few people live/camp where there are no conveniences a short distance away. Why would you?

I have better ways to spend my time than washing all my clothes by hand. Yes, there's a couple of items that I'll rinse out because they shouldn't go in the washer if I want them to last. But that's it!

Other than that, it takes me less than 2 hours of standing around watching machines at work, once every 2 to 3 weeks to get all that work done for me.

Last trip to the laundromat - 2 very large loads, time 1 3/4 hours spent. Cost $5.25 cents and I was on my way!

Free time saved from doing it at the laundromat - absolutely priceless.

"The other concept is that very few people live/camp where there are no conveniences a short distance away. Why would you? "

because I want to.
because many of the best gold fields are very isolated.
because many of the small towns I am around do not have a laundry mat.
because this is the same reason I got away from using ice chests.
because on my day off from digging holes I don't mind doing a little clothes washing.
I understand that most people like being close to conveniences, I am not one of them.
highdesertranger

Right now, we have 3 adults wearing winter clothing and laundry is costing a bundle! I just checked and the "Scrubba" is available at both Amazon and Cabelas, read the reviews and it sounds interesting since we want to be able to be off-grid. Also, both of those retailers sell the Mr. Buddy washing machine. Anyone ordering should take note that it is cyper Monday and many retailers offer free shipping, some with no minimums in this season.

I always check youtube for video reviews and did come across one on the Scrubba by an RVer washing his bicycle clothing worn on 150 mile trek and he was pleased with the results. I cringed as he gave them the "sniff" test though, but all went well.

I have started buying "ski underwear" usually fleece or polyester/nylon whatever dries quickly and wearing it on the outside for shirts as no one would guess, very lightweight and dries quickly, top it off with a vest when it is cooler. I shop at Sierra Trading Post online and have signed up for "deal flyers". Buying for 3, it saves money when I bulk purchase there.

I won't even speak the cost of laundry right now as I am in denial that it is so high.

if you are not rolling around in engine oil a couple drops of mild dish soap and a rinse will do,i grew up with a scrub board at the spring,been using a machine for a couple decades and they are extremely wasteful and over kill

just had my moms septic back up and the septic guy said you can take a shower or do dishes but dont do cloths,dumps to much water in the system

the line was plugged,had to crawl under the house to the clean out,anyone want to hear about the fun that came flying at me when i opened it?

IanC said:
Wondering how people deal with washing clothes. In the years I traveled in my youth there were laundromats everywhere, now it seems I only see them in low income areas. Also I used to wash them in a five gallon bucket, but using 5 gallons of water seems a waste. So, what do you do? In all the videos I watch, people look pretty spiffy too (or maybe they put on their good duds for the vid?)

I have a Panda and a drying rack. It is not the perfect answer. I still have to find a place to do bedding every week. But the Panda keeps our daily clothes clean. We don't have enogh room to store even a week's worth of dirty clothes. If we are out with no power or running water, I either go for a big bucket or drive to the laundramat. maybe someday I will convince DH that he does not need to change his jeans every single day or throw a pair of shorts in the bag if he has only had them on for a couple hours.

highdesertranger said:
"The other concept is that very few people live/camp where there are no conveniences a short distance away. Why would you? "

because I want to.
because many of the best gold fields are very isolated.
because many of the small towns I am around do not have a laundry mat.
because this is the same reason I got away from using ice chests.
because on my day off from digging holes I don't mind doing a little clothes washing.
I understand that most people like being close to conveniences, I am not one of them.
highdesertranger

The real life van dwellers like Bob and the rest of us will be in our campsites for months so we need the conveniences... we need grocery stores, laundromats, free Wi-Fi, a source for water, banks, over-the-air broadcast television, radio, some work jobs, libraries, some social services and food pantries, car washes and auto parts stores. Van dwellers are a practical bunch so convenience is a important part of the criteria for camping/living on the land. I think you are one of the lucky ones that doesn't have to depend on society's conveniences. Sometimes I wish it were the same for me. It's just that I occasionally need my Carl's jr. Fix.... even out here in the boonies.

Gcal: "maybe someday I will convince DH that he does not need to change his jeans every single day or throw a pair of shorts in the bag if he has only had them on for a couple hours."

Anyone who lets someone else get away with that deserves the expense. Just take those jeans or shorts out of the laundry bag, give them a shaking, then fold them neatly and put them back with his clean clothes.

ArtW said:
Or let HIM do the laundry

He has done a couple loads. Water everywhere, all over the floor, the kitchen cabinets, the frig, the stove. He is all muscle and no finesse. He needs to leave it alone.

OOp, I can relate, I knock out a load of dishes in 5 minutes that takes most folks 15 (former dishwasher in commercial kitchens) but i do tend to 'wear my work lol

Unless I'm doing some really nasty construction work, I wear jeans up to a week. I will also alternate two pairs. Put dirty ones on before working on the house. When done working take shower and put on clean ones. Next day put dirty ones on to work and after work wear the cleaner after work ones. Saves a lot of laundry doing it this way. I fold my dirty clothes too, as they take up less space that way while waiting to be washed and put them in a plastic bag to separate from the clean ones. Not sure what people mean when they say they don't have room for dirty laundry? Clothes take up the same amount of space clean or dirty. If you have space for all your clean clothes you have space for all your clothes right?

I'd absolutely make him do his own laundry if that's his attitude.

gcal said:
He has done a couple loads. Water everywhere, all over the floor, the kitchen cabinets, the frig, the stove. He is all muscle and no finesse. He needs to leave it alone.

Ever think that maybe he's sabotaging his efforts to do laundry on his own so that you'll pick up the workload.

If he makes a mess, let him clean up his mess. Let, hell, make him clean it up!

Heck my sons were taught that by the time they were in kindergarten!

Use the right kinda soap and it is not a problem. I have washed my underwear in a bucket.

"He has done a couple loads. Water everywhere, all over the floor, the kitchen cabinets, the frig, the stove. He is all muscle and no finesse. He needs to leave it alone."

Men will often screw things up deliberately so you won't ask them to do it again. It's called 'manipulation'.

Aren't you the one who obsesses about making the bed? Have you ever heard of the old saying, "He can play you like a fiddle"?

There are two ways to deal with it:
1) Stand over him while he does it RIGHT, with a big stick (solid metal is good).
2) Have His and Hers laundry bags, and only wash your own.

And tell him to do it OUTSIDE.

Men CAN be trained, but it's a tough job.

TrainChaser said:
"He has done a couple loads. Water everywhere, all over the floor, the kitchen cabinets, the frig, the stove. He is all muscle and no finesse. He needs to leave it alone."

Men will often screw things up deliberately so you won't ask them to do it again.  It's called 'manipulation'.

Aren't you the one who obsesses about making the bed?  Have you ever heard of the old saying, "He can play you like a fiddle"?

There are two ways to deal with it:
1) Stand over him while he does it RIGHT, with a big stick (solid metal is good).
2) Have His and Hers laundry bags, and only wash your own.

And tell him to do it OUTSIDE.

Men CAN be trained, but it's a tough job.

Yes, I am the one obssessed with making the bed. I also used to be driven mad by dirty dishes in the sink, cobwebs in the corners of closet ceilings, any sign of dust anywhere in the house and weeds of any size in the flower beds. I ironed tshirts and sheets. I think I am a member of the last generation where this was considered normal behavior. Now, it is OCD or some other mental disease, and some of my female relatives and I would be sent to therapy to learn how to lighten up. Lately, in the rv, I have had to learn to relax on my own

DH and I are headed towards our Golden Anniversary, soon. We aren't going to change each other any more. There is a certain division of labor that is customary, comfortable, and expected. We make jokes about it, but it seems emotionally right to us.