Vintage toppers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That red camper kinda looks like mine.  You can build a bed on one side and sit on the bed and have headroom.  If you buy it I'll figure out a way to show you pictures haw I did mine.

QinReno said:
Check that the water seal around the rim of that shell looks good. Just cover over the windows with masking tape and newspaper, and the painting would go quickly. If I were getting a tent extension, I'd get one that comes out far enough to form an awning to set 2 or 3 chairs under, plus a table to cook on. That would make a nice setup.

Thanks Quin:) I'm still on the roller coaster trying to decide what I want.

closeanuf said:
That red camper kinda looks like mine.  You can build a bed on one side and sit on the bed and have headroom.  If you buy it I'll figure out a way to show you pictures haw I did mine.

Thank you, Closeanuf. I'll look you up if I get it.

For temporary, sometimes you can find lumber / ladder racks for contractors and tarp over them. I have seen them sell for $100 on Craigslist. If you drive high speeds you would need to un tarp it. here is an example, the guy wants $80 https://prescott.craigslist.org/pts/d/lumberrack/6723007954.html
You probably could even use one as a frame to attach hard sides and top to it. This would require some construction skills.

Thanks Danny. That rack is pretty cool. I actually saw one locally on craigslist under "toppers" but didn't even look at the price. I wasn't being inventive/imaginative enough:D

Can a tarp be used to cover the bed of a truck at high speeds? Or would it be shred to bits?

Gave my daughter my van, because I can't own two vehicles while on disability. It cost $327 for her registration, plates and insurance (one month of ins.). My dream of camping is slipping away, lol. Not really... just delayed... again.

I bet cardboard could be glued/ taped together to cover it and a canvas drop cloth from Harbor Freight glued with Titebond III then painted with opps exterior house paint inside and out would last several years, even longer if you just bolted a few sheets of thin quality plywood on it and then covered it as stated previously. I built one out of interior doors glued together with little or no support covering it this way and it has lasted years.

Carla618 said:
Can a tarp be used to cover the bed of a truck at high speeds? Or would it be shred to bits?

It would be tough to keep it from flapping around. You could custom fit a tarp using a grommet kit. I just bought some plastic grommets at Home Depot garden compartment. The two halves snap together with pliers or a hammer, then you cut out the material that is in the hole of the doughnut. This would make it easier to put back on.
If you can use a needle and thread, you can make it real custom. I like canvas tarps, but they are not water proof. You would still need to carry a plastic tarp for rain.

bullfrog said:
I bet cardboard could be glued/ taped together to cover it and a canvas drop cloth from Harbor Freight glued with Titebond III then painted with opps exterior house paint inside and out would last several years, even longer if you just bolted a few sheets of thin quality plywood on it and then covered it as stated previously.  I built one out of interior doors glued together with little or no support covering it this way and it has lasted years.

Geez, I never thought of anything other than stuff already built. Thanks!

DannyB1954 said:
You could custom fit a tarp using a grommet kit. I just bought some plastic grommets at Home Depot garden compartment. The two halves snap together with pliers or a hammer, then you cut out the material that is in the hole of the doughnut. This would make it easier to put back on.

Thanks Danny. I'm realizing why so many choose vans, rather than pickup trucks.

When coming from living in a house to living in any form of vehicle there is compromise and work envolved, even if it is a 40' class A motor home. Dumping tanks, filling tanks, driving setting up is all work. Living in small spaces, not being able to leave stuff lying around, not being able to stand up straight are all compromises. Having a standup enclosure in your truck puts you in better shape than most van dwellers having to deal with back problems because they cann't, even if it is just a tarp you will be able to. Living this way for you is breaking new ground and requires you to make it happen, besides what else you got to do? George of George and Tioga web site fame at 81 has decieded to build out a box truck having never done it before he will make mistakes, but he enjoys fixing his mistakes. You have to learn to enjoy the challenges before you can sit around the camp fire and enjoy telling people about them in beautiful places.

Not trying to sell you on a topper, but the beauty of these things is that you have an instant "shell". everything inside is flexible (the ultimate clean slate), do-overs are a piece of cake, and you didn't spend a lot of money. If you can relax your constraints (must be able to stand up inside), or plan on adding height via "sidewalls" at some point, a topper might be the most inexpensive route ...

You can put a bed running across this way, and change it next week to one of the other (3) sides ... or rip it out and try something totally different. Your bed can be a cot to start, or a built thing later, once you know for sure where it is going *in conjunction* with everything else you want in there.

there's no huge investment in anything such that it can't be revised/replaced; very little carpentry. more of harvesting the great ideas from others for various systems and changing them up for your own needs.

think complete "systems" in a can. a camping toilet for example, handles your blackwater system ... no fuss, no smell. put it in this corner, and change it next week to that side. for electricity, a sealed solar battery in a box, with an inverter on top; stick the box wherever it fits best for function. you acquire/assemble enough of these until you have what you need.

for a one-person show, it is very easy to "camp" in a topper, considering that you won't always be *in* the topper space; mine gets me there, saves me hotel costs, and most of my (fun) time is outside the topper space anyway. I sleep, shower, cook (my coffee), and then switch to the truck cab, and drive to some place I want to explore ...

I've squeezed in everything *and* the kitchen sink (but not my couch, darn it), and I get by just fine (hot or cold weather). everything is small (as the small space forces you to skip large versions of things), well thought out (as opposed to the first few weeks), and constantly changing as I see better ways to do it, but it works ...

I'm 6'-5", and have no problems in a 5'-5" truck bed layout (the horizontal diagonals saved me) ... I do the hunchback of notre dame proud on the verticals, but I'm also considering a possible sidewall project, to raise the height one day (I can do carpentry, if I whack my head enough) ... in the meantime, I'm saving money left and right.

Hope this helps ...

One life saver for me was one of those short folding beach chairs but my wife liked those 3 sided chair pillows then just used the bed to sit up and read on rainy days. Your are gonna get old and wake up hurting from sleeping like that sooner rather than latter. Not to be negative as at one time even shag carpet on a concrete floor was too soft for me long time ago.

I have an old truck 1970 and had a heck of a time trying to find a topper to fit a real full size pick up bed.  I finally found one that worked but the guy was rock solid on his price and it took a full days drive to go get it but sleeping in the back with my dogs at the truck-stop coming home was great.  I have an all steel Caveman topper with wool felt insulation, a bed that goes sideways right against the cab and two slider windows.I am very comfortable summer camping in it even though I can;t stand up.  I have thought about adding wooden sidewalls to raise it but worry my already dismal MPG would go even lower with the additional wind drag ( 12 mpg is typical now ) for a relatively small comfort gain

Attachments

• IMG_20170422_105051.jpg
    IMG_20170422_105051.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
Nice!!! Mines way up there standing room but as you say lost about 3 MPG at 55 MPH I would hate to think what it would be if I were geared to do 65 MPH.

bullfrog said:
Having a standup enclosure in your truck puts you in better shape than most van dwellers having to deal with back problems because they cann't, even if it is just a tarp you will be able to. <snip> George of George and Tioga web site fame at 81 has decieded to build out a box truck having never done it before he will make mistakes, but he enjoys fixing his mistakes.

I'll probably get a camper I can stand in come spring. No money for one atm. I keep running into unexpected expenses. As much as I will (or might) miss my house, I sure won't miss my mortgage. This check to check living is nerve-racking.

I'll check out George's site. I found some really cool box trucks on craigslist when I was deciding which type of rig to go with.

LexSleuther said:
Not trying to sell you on a topper, but the beauty of these things is that you have an instant "shell". everything inside is flexible (the ultimate clean slate), do-overs are a piece of cake, and you didn't spend a lot of money. If you can relax your constraints (must be able to stand up inside), or plan on adding height via "sidewalls" at some point, a topper might be the most inexpensive route ...
<snip>
Hope this helps ...

Thanks Lex, Yes, it helps:) I am so dang broke right now I know a topper is the best I can do. I've been having trouble finding a cheap ($200) one for my 8 foot bed, but I'm going to inquire about two I found at junk yards (online). I found a website that junk yards use to look up parts. One is the "ugly" red one I posted earlier, but now I found a decent looking black one that is also raised and it has a rack on top. Think it is $150. I'll know more Thursday.

I read your post about living in a topper and I thought of a youtube channel where the man built an extension that covers his tailgate. If you ever get tired of sleeping diagonally, here is his link (just noticed he sells the plans, but I doubt they are needed):

outermostsoul said:
I have an old truck 1970 and had a heck of a time trying to find a topper to fit a real full size pick up bed.  I finally found one that worked but the guy was rock solid on his price and it took a full days drive to go get it but sleeping in the back with my dogs at the truck-stop coming home was great.  I have an all steel Caveman topper with wool felt insulation, a bed that goes sideways right against the cab and two slider windows.

Very cool topper outermost:) I do find toppers for my F250 long bed that are a full day's drive away... might have to bite the bullet and drive to one.

http://belairshells.com/wood-n-alum
I did see one of these at campsite and was surprised that they were still making something like these. Brand New and don't seem too overpriced.
I didn't read all the way through if this has been mentioned. It may be good for some folks with newer trucks if in there budget ranges.
Myself I'm happy with Leer high-top for now.

...or try what I just got, www.notelusa.com
My primary concern has always been being able to drive away immediately if needed. So no sleeping in the back of the truck for me. I've only used it once so far before the weather got too cold and it is quite comfy with my memory foam pad. Leaves the entire back of the truck for my stuff and so I won't have to break down the bed in the cab when I use this regularly (the dogs get a really plush ride!).