Vintage toppers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything is expensive now. Build what you own; upgrade when prices go down. Not alot of headroom in a van, either, but it’s nice to have acces from cab.
I know! Over a year ago my kids kept talking about how used car prices had gone up. I should have checked camper prices, but since I had one I didn't think of it. I was helping out two of my kids babysitting my grandkids every day, because they had to work and the schools shut down (Covid). Property taxes were due so I sold the camper for what I paid for it ($1,200). When I started looking for another camper (I wanted one with a toilet and shower anyway) I found out that cheap old campers had tripled in price... or more. Prices are crazy atm.

I think I understand what you explained. I need to start paying attention to the sounds my engine makes. My truck has automatic transmission. Don't know how many speeds. After Drive it has a 1 and a 2. When do I use those? (My son-in-law told me once, but the truck has sat for almost a year & I forgot).

Edit: which is lower? One?

Also, going up a steep hill near my house the transmission does shift. It really struggles. Should I put it on the 1?
One is lowest. Is the D just a D, or is there a circle around it? That would indicate you have overdrive. If so, then Fords have a push button on the shifter to lock out overdrive. Do that on steep hills/ mountains. Overdrive is best for flat highway driving. Better economy. What engine do you have?

I think I understand what you explained. I need to start paying attention to the sounds my engine makes. My truck has automatic transmission. Don't know how many speeds. After Drive it has a 1 and a 2. When do I use those? (My son-in-law told me once, but the truck has sat for almost a year & I forgot).

Edit: which is lower? One?

Also, going up a steep hill near my house the transmission does shift. It really struggles. Should I put it on the 1?
1 is first gear 2 is second gear and D is third gear on your transmission first is your lowest gear. When you are going up hill your automatic should pick the best gear for you, but if it is struggling to much you could pull it down into first gear. And yes you either need to start paying attention to the sound your engine is making or get yourself a tachometer. If your transmission shifts down to second gear going up hill then that is the gear you should put it in going downhill likewise if it shifts down to first then that is the gear you should go downhill in when you have a trailer attached.

Another consideration is trailer brakes. They will help you a lot. Most double axle camper trailers would have them anyway, but it would be good to ask.
Why does your truck struggle so when going up hills? It's an f250, right? I'd assume it's an 8-cylinder, When was the last time the engine was properly tuned up?
Towing a trailer will cut your gas mileage by a considerable amount also.

One is lowest. Is the D just a D, or is there a circle around it? That would indicate you have overdrive. If so, then Fords have a push button on the shifter to lock out overdrive. Do that on steep hills/ mountains. Overdrive is best for flat highway driving. Better economy. What engine do you have?
Pretty sure it is just a D. My son borrowed it a few days ago & hasn't returned it yet. I looked up the VIN:

1995 Ford F250 3/4 ton P/U 2WD 8 Cylinders H 5.8L FI 351 CID
4x2
Light Pickup Engine
5.8L Manufactured in
OAKVILLE, ONTARIO, CANADA Age
27 years
Manufactured By FORD MOTOR COMPANY OF CANADA, LTD.
Plant Company Name Ontario Truck
Engine Displacement (CI) 351
Engine Displacement (CC) 5751.859464
Fuel Type Gasoline
Engine Number of Cylinders 8

1 is first gear 2 is second gear and D is third gear on your transmission first is your lowest gear. When you are going up hill your automatic should pick the best gear for you, but if it is struggling to much you could pull it down into first gear. And yes you either need to start paying attention to the sound your engine is making or get yourself a tachometer. If your transmission shifts down to second gear going up hill then that is the gear you should put it in going downhill likewise if it shifts down to first then that is the gear you should go downhill in when you have a trailer attached.
Very good. I'm going to get a tachometer! Unless they cost too much. I'll start listening to the engine.

Another consideration is trailer brakes. They will help you a lot. Most double axle camper trailers would have them anyway, but it would be good to ask.
Why does your truck struggle so when going up hills? It's an f250, right? I'd assume it's an 8-cylinder, When was the last time the engine was properly tuned up?
Towing a trailer will cut your gas mileage by a considerable amount also.
My truck came with trailer brakes... well, there is a box with a light that never goes off that is for trailer brakes. Previous owner towed a 5th wheel.

I think my truck struggles so much because these hills are super steep. Illinois is mostly flat, except on river bluffs. Peoria is on the Illinois River. Like most river towns on the Mississippi the city was built below and atop huge bluffs. Guessing the road by my house is 7% grade. (Comparing it to a hill with a sign on it that said 7% grade).

It is a 250, 8 cylinder and it was just tuned up. New distributor and plugs. A bunch of new stuff. But, last week I bought new wipers at O'Reilly Auto and a man there looked at my engine. He found 2 hoses not connected to anything and something else missing an intake hose. This is after I paid $1,400 to tune it up and fix anything obvious.

My truck came with trailer brakes... well, there is a box with a light that never goes off that is for trailer brakes. Previous owner towed a 5th wheel.

I think my truck struggles so much because these hills are super steep. Illinois is mostly flat, except on river bluffs. Peoria is on the Illinois River. Like most river towns on the Mississippi the city was built below and atop huge bluffs. Guessing the road by my house is 7% grade. (Comparing it to a hill with a sign on it that said 7% grade).

It is a 250, 8 cylinder and it was just tuned up. New distributor and plugs. A bunch of new stuff. But, last week I bought new wipers at O'Reilly Auto and a man there looked at my engine. He found 2 hoses not connected to anything and something else missing an intake hose. This is after I paid $1,400 to tune it up and fix anything obvious.
If you paid $1400 for a tune-up, find a new garage! That's outrageous, even in today's world. Did the guy at the parts store connect the hoses, or tell you where they go?

Your truck doesn't have trailer brakes, but it does have the controller and that's a good start. It should mean you can connect a trailer with electric brakes and they will work. Surge brakes are fine too, but you might have to learn how to lock them out to back up.

If you paid $1400 for a tune-up, find a new garage! That's outrageous, even in today's world. Did the guy at the parts store connect the hoses, or tell you where they go?
The truck sat in my driveway for maybe a year after letting my son-in-law borrow it for a few hours (with the camper on it). He did something to it & I'll never know what. Seems he blew the drain plug from the transmission pan and had to fill it & drive it home crippled. He repaired it after a long ordeal about that plug not even being a plug. The truck was messed up after that. No power. Couldn't go up any hills and didn't dare take it on the interstate.

Couple months later my daughter borrowed it to move in with me. The truck died on a hill and it wouldn't start (even with jumper pack). She had it towed home and it sat for a very long time. Finally had it towed to a transmission shop, because I thought the transmission was messed up. They kept it for 3 months to "save me money". They worked it in between other repair jobs. The owner said he probably gave me 10 hours of free labor. The transmission was fine, but a bundle of wires were "cut". I suspect chipmunks because I saw them repeatedly climbing up the truck tires. The shop thought it was from someone who didn't know what they were doing.

The shop said they were in contact with Ford repeatedly over the 3 months trying to clear the check engine lights. Three issues there. They said trucks that old have rudimentary computer systems & they needed Ford's assistance. From the invoice:

Battery $158.58
Air Filter $18.11
Ignition Coil $45.90
Fuel Filter $20.22
Spark Plugs $55.04
Ignition Cables $65.10
Ignition Control Module $75.32
Fuel $30.00
Right Exhaust Manifold Kit $188.30
Front Brake Pads $65.90
EGR Tube $108.45
Labor $400.00
Supplies $50.00
Taxes $79.28

Total $1360.20

Regarding those hoses, the man told me to take it back to the transmission shop since I just got it out of the shop. He said all are intake hoses. I haven't taken it back yet because the snowstorm hit.

Your truck doesn't have trailer brakes, but it does have the controller and that's a good start. It should mean you can connect a trailer with electric brakes and they will work. Surge brakes are fine too, but you might have to learn how to lock them out to back up.
I didn't know what it is called. Thanks. I can't afford a trailer yet anyway. I'd have to sell my house, which I want to. But I seriously need help preparing for that.

Put the flashers on whenever you shift to a lower gear on a higher speed highway.

A general rule is to observe the yellow warning signs of steep grades, tight curves, etc. ahead, also advising of a slower speed.

back onto the vintage topper category does anyone else have an all steel topper? I bought it used of course seller guessed it was from maybe 60s or early 70s. He thought it was a Caveman brand but nothing marks it as that. No leaking ever. Keeps warm enough with just a roof felt thing for insulation. Probably weighs a ton.. my truck is old full size Ford and it fit perfectly.

I have an all steel pop top on my homemade truck camper. I saved it when I junked my 1964 Econoline Travel Wagon. Goes up or down in a few seconds. Very clever design. See if this link works.
Thanks for the memories, hugemoth. My dad bought his blue Ford Econoline new in '66 or '67. We took it on vacation every summer from Illinois to Massachusetts and Rhode Island. No seats in the back, so six kids sitting in lawn chairs or spread out on sleeping bags reading comics. The camper version would have been great for our trips.

OMG!!! I have looked & looked for that pop up top for years, in '75 I bought a '62 vw bus for $500, had the popup top, icebox, sink, stove & bed with storage under. Took out the old 36 horse engine & replaced it with duel port 1600, & traveled all over the western US. Of all the rigs I've had over the years from slide in campers to class A's, & 40 ft 5th wheel I miss that one the most.

PS, it would be nice to have a classified ad section in forums for rigs for sale, I'm thinking of a small (14') box truck.

OMG!!! I have looked & looked for that pop up top for years, in '75 I bought a '62 vw bus for $500, had the popup top, icebox, sink, stove & bed with storage under. Took out the old 36 horse engine & replaced it with duel port 1600, & traveled all over the western US. Of all the rigs I've had over the years from slide in campers to class A's, & 40 ft 5th wheel I miss that one the most.

PS, it would be nice to have a classified ad section in forums for rigs for sale, I'm thinking of a small (14') box truck.

Check the Marketplace and Trading Post forum sections at the bottom of the main forum listings.