Vintage toppers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone using vintage toppers on their trucks? I'm curious about the problems with them. There are plenty of new-ish fiberglass ones for $200 on craigslist, but I like the look of the vintage ones. I'm guessing they are more prone to leaking.

Eg. https://nmi.craigslist.org/pts/d/8ft-high-top-topper/6674290344.html

Also, I love the look of this one (posting), but I think it would have to be gutted and I have no building skills:

Attachments

• topper1.jpg
    topper1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 39
  • topper2.jpg
    topper2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 42
I used to have something like that on a truck I owned in the 1970's . . . if you sleep inside that, be sure you have an escape route in case someone locks it from the outside with you in it.

the pic on the right shows water damage. the problem with that style is the build type. it's basically wood framing and sheet aluminum stapled together. if you take these or any RV built this way on gravel or unimproved roads you literally shake/vibrate them to death. even on pavement they get loose over the years. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the pic on the right shows water damage.  the problem with that style is the build type.  it's basically wood framing and sheet aluminum stapled together.  if you take these or any RV built this way on gravel or unimproved roads you literally shake/vibrate them to death.  even on pavement they get loose over the years.  highdesertranger

Thanks. I wondered about the shaking. Too bad... it looks really cool.

Then again, it has survived at least 40 years. If you replaced the framing, maybe it could last another decade or so. Darn, I wish I knew carpentry.

travelaround said:
I used to have something like that on a truck I owned in the 1970's . . . if you sleep inside that, be sure you have an escape route in case someone locks it from the outside with you in it.

Who would do that? Is it really a danger?

The problem is you don't know who would do that.  I take precautions to prevent someone from locking me inside whatever I'm in.  When you get a camper come back for ideas.

closeanuf said:
The problem is you don't know who would do that.  I take precautions to prevent someone from locking me inside whatever I'm in.  When you get a camper come back for ideas.

I will. Thanks:)

Hello Carla. As HDR indicated, the internal picture shows **massive** amounts of water damage in that topper. Horrible rotting and mold.

Regular pickup campers tend to be very heavy so you would likely need to check about strengthening the suspension of he truck. With the usual toppers, you can barely even sit up in the back, but there are tall shells like the Leer 122 that give more headroom.
- http://www.americantruckoutfitters.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=5

You could start out with that, as it would provide more comfort and security than a tent, and possibly go to pulling a trailer later on. Bob Wells mentioned these recently,
https://www.weeroll.com/

QinReno said:
With the usual toppers, you can barely even sit up in the back, but there are tall shells like the Leer 122 that give more headroom.

You could start out with that, as it would provide more comfort and security than a tent, and possibly go to pulling a trailer later on.

I looked at Weeroll online a couple months ago. Cargo trailers are great, but I don't feel comfortable towing anything. I'm trying to stay as simple as possible. I'm not even comfortable driving this truck. Last night I heard 3 super loud banging noises as I was stopped in my alley texting my son. No idea what those noises were, but they were louder than someone banging on my truck. Big fat mystery:(

Today I started contacting people who posted toppers on craigslist. No replies so far. I think a lot of the ads are there to harvest email addresses. But I'll keep trying. I'm just buying something cheap now so I can get out camping before winter. In the spring I'll A) have more money and B) know more what I want.

I like the Leer 122 and will probably grab something like that for now (but old). Or an old aluminum frame one and insulate it.

Thank you, QuinReno:)

tx2sturgis said:
This makes me think you might want to buy a tent and use that for a while.

I'd love to tent camp. That's my preference, but I need total knee replacement and  I'm not brave enough to tent camp alone. I saw the CRVL vid of the woman in the Springbar (or Kodiak) where she zip tied the zippers together. Still, not brave enough:) I don't even like knowing I have to exit the camper to get to the driver's seat.

There is a tall topper/small camper I want, but it costs more than I can afford. In 3 weeks I can get it (if he still has it).

Maybe a truck tent for now? A month or so ago I saw a Napier for $75 on craigslist. I have to visit my daughter 6 hours away in a week and want to camp while there.

Call the seller and offer a deposit to hold the topper till you get the money. If you don't meet the deadline, he gets to keep the deposit.
See if he would go for that.

Minivanmotoman said:
Call the seller and offer a deposit to hold the topper till you get the money. If you don't meet the deadline, he gets to keep the deposit.
See if he would go for that.

I'll call him tomorrow. I've been thinking of doing that. Only because I once sold a boat on craigslist to a man who made payments and it worked out well. Thanks:)

QinReno said:
Carla, I ran across this, may get some ideas, they show some tent camper pickup setups.
https://www.desktodirtbag.com/truck-camping/
https://www.desktodirtbag.com/pickup-truck-camping/

Thanks QinReno. I've been to that site before and liked it, but didn't know it had that much info. I just watched his video about the two main approaches to bed placement. He is in a Leer 122 (I think) and it looks so tiny. But he has a ton of gear. He didn't mention sleeping sideways across the truck bed... is that impossible in a truck? I'm 5'9". Was thinking of putting the bed across (just behind the cab). I never see that, so I'm guessing there is a reason why.

Originally I wanted the bed on the side with a counter for sink/stove on other side.

This planning stage is such a roller coaster. I keep learning new things and changing my mind. And I'm so eager to start camping, I think I'm willing to settle for something I don't really want because I can't afford what I want yet. I've wanted the Callen tiny camper for months (bigger than a topper, but not quite a camper). Ok, what I REALLY want is a full size camper, but I don't want to travel with one on my truck. So the Callen is a compromise. At least it's bigger than a topper.

I'll call the guy with the Callen tomorrow.

You could also just get a regular topper, and raise it with basic plywood and frame for not much money. Less than the price of an expensive tent.
Can even get the plywood and studs cut at Home Depot.
Then just glue/screw for assembly and Bob's your uncle, or Santa Claus, or something.  :D

Or look online, YouTube for self built slide in campers, most are basic and simple, anyone could build if they set their mind to it. Coat of paint and will last a couple years and get you started.
Give you a start and in a couple years, ready for something bigger or more suited to your liking. As most will say on here, your first rig often isn't your last or best suited. Most go through 3 RVs before they settle on the right one for them.

Minivanmotoman said:
As most will say on here, your first rig often isn't your last or best suited. Most go through 3 RVs before they settle on the right one for them.

I love truck tents. Especially the Kodiak. But I keep reading that people struggle a bit with setting them up. And with a tent I can't climb in at a rest area if I'm tired. Guess I could sleep across the front seat.

I showed my kids a pic of an old topper I found at a local junk yard today ($200) and they thought it was really ugly. Heh. One son said he would paint it for me. I liked it because it was unusual. Before I decided to travel and camp on my own, I would have thought it was ugly, too. Now I think, "How cool. I could look at the stars while camping..." I'll post the junk yard topper (for laughs).

Attachments

• redtop.jpg
    redtop.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 11
QinReno said:
The junkyard topper is ugly but could be painted. I ran down this thread, nice build along these lines. Workable. For a shorter topper, you could make the bed and cabinets shorter.
- https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=32525

Yeah, it is ugly. Could i use cans of spray paint on something like that? If I sand and prime it first? With so many windows, there isn't much fiberglass to paint.

Thanks for the link. Have you ever used a truck tent extension? I'll post pic.

Attachments

• tentx.jpg
    tentx.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4
Check that the water seal around the rim of that shell looks good. Just cover over the windows with masking tape and newspaper, and the painting would go quickly. If I were getting a tent extension, I'd get one that comes out far enough to form an awning to set 2 or 3 chairs under, plus a table to cook on. That would make a nice setup.