Vehicles I'm considering

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myway_1

Reaction score
I want a vehicle that costs no more than $12,000, has an excellent repair history, gets 30 mpg on the highway and that I can sleep in fully extended and flat. I'm 5'8". I am willing to construct platforms to overcome seats that don't fold flat. I can't remove seats because I have no place to store them.

Here are the ones that I am considering so far:

Toyota Prius
Volkswagon Golf
Ford Escape Hybrid
Honda Fit
Nissan Cube
Toyota Matrix
Mazda 3 hatchback
Kia Soul
Ford Transit Connect

I know some of you use the Prius, the Escape and the Soul.

Does anyone use any of the others?

Any other suggestions?

Edit: I'm not sure about the reliability of the Nissan Cube or the Ford Transit Connect

I can't imagine planning on sleeping in most of those cars, they're just too small for anything like comfort. I believe the people who use a Prius and similar are living "out of", not "living in". Big difference I think.

A connect would work...here's a build on this site: https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-My-2010-Ford-Transit-Connect-conversion?highlight=transit+connect

I can say there's so way I'd consider a Honda Fit...after a 2k mile round trip in a friend's Fit, I felt close to physically crippled. And that was just using the vehicle as intended.

Why not consider a Toyota Tacoma or Sienna? A cap on the Tacoma and you're all set, plus leaves options open for a slide in or small trailer in future...

Agreed on the Honda Fit.  It just doesn't....   'fit'.  At 6'4" and being "Bigger than the average bear", I cannot even wedge myself into the seat of my sister's Honda Fit.  Trying to sleep in one?  Faggitabouttit.
If you will consider vehicles a few years older, the Honda Element is a surprisingly roomy little toaster.  Arguably the best of the little toaster-cars, ever.  Last model year was 2010 I think.  All wheel drive has it's uses too, if you realize it is NOT "4X4", and don't try to go off-road with it.
A buddy's wife has the Toyota Prius, and he tells me it is actually roomier than it looks, but I haven't sat in it yet or looked at it from the eyes of a sleep-in.  But we have members who do use them as such.

My first experience in the vehicle life was unplanned and done with the vehicle I had at the time: A Suzuki SX4 hatchback. It was a 2010, capable of 30mpg, and I paid $10,500 for it at a dealer. That was with only 28k miles on it. And it included selectable AWD, 4WD or FWD, Bluetooth, heated seats...

As far as cars go I think the SX4 is very underrated in terms of value.

When I lived in mine I built a platform from the dash to the back hatch on the passenger side. I'm 5'10" and there was no way to lie down otherwise. I was also working construction at the time and the car was full of tools.

It's possible. But I wouldn't recommend to anyone buying a vehicle that small with dwelling in mind.

Ford connect is the only one I'd live in off that list. The bigger vehicle the more comfortable you will be.

My .02

The Ford Connect,
Honda Element,
or a Scion XB (that's what we have)

All are amazingly roomy for their small sizes, and all get great mpg's!

Patrick46 said:
The Ford Connect,
Honda Element,
or a Scion XB (that's what we have)

All are amazingly roomy for their small sizes, and all get great mpg's!

I would definitely consider a 2005 or older Scion xB (before they were made bigger and heavier). They got great mileage. I'm just worried about reliability problems with an older vehicle.

I see these Ford Flex outfits around where I live from time to time.  Not too common around here.

But they look like a big overgrown Station Wagon and I could imagine one being set up for stealth camping
and even a little boondocking.  

I was looking at the Car Research Widget "interior speck's" in my signature line (bottom link)  edjsautoservices.

This thing has 12 vdc outlets all through the interior.  Like they were expecting people to camp in it.

ford-flex.jpg

2015-Ford-Flex-Wagon-interior1.jpg

The back seats can still be folded down for that 83.2 Cu Ft room.  I could imagine
the front passenger seat removed for added room.

• Two 12V power outlet(s) in front, one 12V power outlet(s) in rear, one 12V power outlet(s) in cargo area
  • Climate control
  • Roof antenna
  • Anti-theft protection
  • Audio system with AM/FM radio, CD player (reads MP3 format)
  • Cargo area light
  • Cargo capacity: rear seat down (cu ft): 83.2, all seats in place (cu ft): 20.0, third row seats removed (cu ft): 43.2 and Manufacturer’s own
  • Compass
  • Trip computer: includes average fuel economy, current fuel economy and range for remaining fuel
  • Dashboard console, floor console, overhead console
  • Cruise control
  • Front cup holders
  • Outside air temperature indicator
  • Floor covering: carpet in passenger compartment and carpet in load area
  • Carpet floor mats
  • Intelligent driver and passenger front airbag
  • Driver bucket front seat with 6-way power power height, manual lumbar and power tilt, front passenger seat bucket front seat
  • Height adjustable driver and passenger front seat belts with pre-tensioners
  • Front seat center armrest
  • Headlight control with dusk sensor
  • Two height-adjustable front seat head restraints, three height-adjustable rear seat head restraints, two height-adjustable 3rd row seats head restraints
  • Internal dimensions: front headroom (inches): 41.8, rear headroom (inches): 40.5, front hip room (inches): 55.5, rear hip room (inches): 55.0, front leg room (inches): 42.6, rear leg room (inches): 44.3, front shoulder room (inches): 58.4, rear shoulder room (inches): 58.1 and interior volume (cu ft): 155.8
  • Low tire pressure indicator
  • Reverse Sensing System rear radar parking distance sensors
  • Digital keypad power locks ; automatic locking
  • Vehicle speed-proportional power steering type
  • Front windows with one-touch on one window, rear windows
  • Front and rear reading lights
  • Rear seat belt, passenger rear seat belt, 3-point center rear seat belt
  • Split-folding rear seats: manual recline
  • Auto-dimming rear view mirror
  • Steering wheel mounted remote audio controls
  • Remote control trunk/hatch release
  • All three rows protected by curtain airbag
  • Seating: seven passengers
  • Upholstery cloth
  • Service interval indicator
  • Front side airbag
  • Six speakers
  • Alloy & leather-trimmed, tilt telescoping steering wheel
  • Tachometer
  • 911 Assist telematics
  • Passenger third row seat belts
  • Third row seats: split-folding,, bucket with seating for two fold flat to floor
  • Illuminated driver and passenger vanity mirror
  • Ventilation system with micro filter
  • Voice activating system for radio and phone

I don't know how many years Ford has made these but they look like an overgrown Scion xB. 

I don't know if any deals could be found on these.  The only thing I'm leery of in the Ford like is their
V6 engines.

That is a beautiful vehicle for long-term living. It doesn't meet my mpg needs, but thanks for posting. I enjoyed seeing it.

We have a 2005 XB, and we freeking LOVE IT!!

(actually...I bought it, and my wife stole it out from under me, so now I'm stuck driving HER truck!) :D :p

36 mpg's CONSISTANTLY.

We've driven from here on the Oregon Coastline, back and forth to Chicago, Central Wisconsin, and Southern Illinois...3 times, IN THE WINTER...In 36 hour non-stop marathon runs...and have never experienced a single problem with the car.
We also made tons of runs over to Missoula Montana, (in all weather) when our daughter was in school there.

Black ice in central Wyoming, in a blizzard, at 3AM??....right through!
Tornado shuts down the highway in North Dakota??...boogied right along!

We're not insanely fast drivers either. Just real consistent.

I love this car, but I'd still be inclined to get a mini-van were I you. (voice of experience)

Is the cargo area of the xB long enough to be able to sleep in it for a 5'8" person? Do the rear seats lay flat?

Major reason I bought a 2005 Jetta TDI was I could lay down but just.Gets great milage.

I have given several of these vehicles a "stretch out flat" test

Not long enough:

Honda Fit
Nissan Cube
Kia Soul (2010) there may have been a tweek in later model years to make a few inches more room.

Just long enough:

Toyota Matrix
Mazda 3

Plenty long:

2009 Toyota Prius

Not Yet Tested:

Volkswagen Golf
Kia Forte
Scion xB (2006 or older)
Ford Escape Hybrid

If I could only choose from that list I would choose the Prius. You can likely find a reasonably used one for under 12K, and it gets closer to 50MPG, which I assume is one of your key criterium. Many others already using it as a vehicle to live out of so its proven as useful for that purpose.

I doubt a transit connect or Nissan Cube would actually get 30MPG in a real world situation. The transit connect would be difficult to find under $12K that wasn't already beat to death. The rest on your list seem far too small even for the most organized person (which isn't me)

Lots of other good recommendations on this thread already. You could likely find a older in good condition Toyota or Honda Minivan for in the $7K range. It will only get 20MPG, but that extra $5000.00 will buy about 2500 gallons of gas at todays prices (that is about 50,000 miles of driving - as a useful reference point).

wagoneer said:
Major reason I bought a 2005 Jetta TDI was I could lay down but just.Gets great milage.

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI I want to try out for extended durations this year.  What configuration do you use for laying down/sleeping?

myway_1 said:
I want a vehicle that costs no more than $12,000, has an excellent repair history, gets 30 mpg on the highway and that I can sleep in fully extended and flat. 

Toyota Prius
Volkswagon Golf
Ford Escape Hybrid
Honda Fit
Nissan Cube
Toyota Matrix
Mazda 3 hatchback
Kia Soul
Ford Transit Connect

Does anyone use any of the others?

Any other suggestions?

Edit: I'm not sure about the reliability of the Nissan Cube or the Ford Transit Connect

I went with the Ford Transit Connect, but i paid a little more than your desired price limit.  I bought it, in addition to my own reasons, for some of the same things you want: Reliability, fuel economy, room the lie down.  As for the repair history, I've read stories about the brakes wearing out prematurely and possible transmission issues, but I haven't seen those problems myself.  I think this is due in part, if not entirely, to the fact that I don't overload my van like people who use the TC for commercial duties often do (plumbing companies loading it down with tons of pipe and fitting, mechanical companies packing in heavy tools and parts, machine shops loading thousands of pounds of steel plate, etc. etc.)  I see lots of the TC's where I live and work, but I never see them used by non-commercial customers. 
For this reason I tend to take the repair complaints with a grain of salt.  

I have the 1st Gen. TC, so I don't get the 30mpg I've seen claimed in the new model.  The best I've gotten so far is 26.6mpg on the highway, but that's not bad for a van.....  even a minivan.  Some of the things I really like about the TC are that it's easy to drive, easy to park, easy on the wallet and easy to get parts for.....  And let's not forget the hi-top!  That was a major reason I went with it!  

The cargo area is 6' long, and even thought I'm 6' 4" I still find it comfy.  If I need a little extra legroom, I simply fold out the leaf I built into my bunk and get an additional 10" of length on the bed.  Having the hi-top means I was able to set the height of the bed higher to increase leg comfort when sitting at my table, while not hitting my head on the ceiling.  

From time to time I wish I'd bought a full-sized van, but then someone will say "Wow, it's so tiny!"  "You couldn't possibly live in it!", leading me to believe that's what most people think, so they'll leave me alone if they see it sitting on the side of the road.  :p

(I have since added another layer of plywood to the floor and raised the bed 1")

(Leaf folded under foot of bed)

I have decided to adjust my requirements a bit. I want to at least be able to sit up in my bed and preferably stand up and walk (while fully bent over). This eliminates all the vehicles on my original list except the Transit Connect and the Ford Escape Hybrid. I have reduced the mileage minimum to 25 MPG highway. I have added the Honda Element to the list.

myway_1 said:
I have decided to adjust my requirements a bit. I want to at least be able to sit up in my bed and preferably stand up and walk (while fully bent over). This eliminates all the vehicles on my original list except the Transit Connect and the Ford Escape Hybrid. I have reduced the mileage minimum to 25 MPG highway. I have added the Honda Element to the list.

Honda Element with the ecamper:

http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/element-camper/ecc-camper-package.html

Patrick46 What is a 2005 XB?
eDj's Ford Flex looks awesome. And expensive. But it would be a nice dual purpose camping/family car.
As a starter car dweller I've been trying to find an older Dodge Grand Caravan (low miles) with the stow n' go seats.
I've seen several interior builds that would work nicely in a minivan.