vehicle tents

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jannette

Reaction score
Does anyone use one?
What's your experience?
Thank you

Jannette said:
Does anyone use one?
What's your experience?
Thank you
I have a Roofnest "Eagle" rooftop tent. It's awesome! It's basically like putting a Queen size bed on the roof of your vehicle that has weatherproof tent siding and a fiberglass roof. The roof tent can be set up and broke down within 1-2 minutes. If you buy some extra mattress foam @ walmart or homedepot and cut it down to the mattress size to place under the factory Roofnest mattress- the bed will be extremely comfortable! I used to own a very high end Serta gel & memory foam mattress- And, I honestly sleep better in the tent. There are people who have slept in their Roofnest's up in the Colorado Rockies in 40 knot winds and torrential sideways rain- without any water intrusion. So, they're quite sturdy. I suggest checking out Roofnest.com and seeing some of their videos. I'll post a video below which will give you an introduction to the Roofnest tent. Shhhh, don't tell anyone- I stole the idea about how to improve my bedding from this video ;)....Enjoy.

Jannette said:
Does anyone use one?
What's your experience?
Thank you

Hi Jannette!  I've never used one, although I thought about it, and looked it up. My conclusion is that by the price of a decent one, I better buy me a camper shell   :) I have a truck.  I'm not sure what to tell you about it, they look cool, but not very practical, I would have to put it down and up again often because I like to drive my car and explore around.

RollingOM

No experience using them but I've always loved the Pontiac Aztec with the tent on back.  The Aztec has a built in air compressor for your air mattress and full stereo controls in the back for when you are camping.

aztektent.jpg

I don't own this but it looks like a great combo (TailVeil.com) :

Attachments

• TAILVEIL on a PRIUS.jpg
    TAILVEIL on a PRIUS.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 11
Motrukdriver said:
No experience using them but I've always loved the Pontiac Aztec with the tent on back.  The Aztec has a built in air compressor for your air mattress and full stereo controls in the back for when you are camping.

aztektent.jpg
I like this, looks easy. Is that on a truck?

Thank you all! for your input. I'm hesitant due to wind and less convenient mobility. Too, I forgot to mention another question . . . wouldn't it run-down my battery to have the back open for such a long time? I have a Jeep Compass.

Jannette, there should be an off switch on your ceiling lights so that the interior lights don't come on at all when the doors are opened.

Check your owners manual to locate it in your vehicle.

Vehicle tents have their advantages in that they expand the living area of the vehicle. They also have disadvantages like having to separate them from the vehicle if you want to go somewhere.

A friend had one that was free standing and you could either use it that way or open up one of the side walls and attach it with a special panel that zippered on to the tent. It was a combination of both but it took up a tremendous amount of space in her roof top cargo carrier and was a PITA to set up. It only got used if the plan was to stationary for a week or more because of the time it took to pack and unpack.

Perhaps you'd be happier with a self made one. I used to use my 10x10 free standing shape canopy for that by parking quite close to it and then using a clear side panel to drape over the roof of my mini-van. I could step out in to the shelter through the side sliding door but also close the door at night for sleeping. The 10x10 area was set up as my kitchen and living room with lawn furniture and the camp stove, etc. The mini-van became essentially my bedroom. To drive off and leave it in place all I had to do was take the side panel and unhook it from the van. No it didn't give me bug-free living in the complete complex but it sure was a whole lot easier and cheaper. That's what mosquito coils and bug spray are for... :)

Jannette said:
Thank you all! for your input. I'm hesitant due to wind and less convenient mobility. Too, I forgot to mention another question . . . wouldn't it run-down my battery to have the back open for such a long time? I have a Jeep Compass.

I had to take my bulb out in the back and turn the rest off with the button up front. It hasn’t affected my battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I took this shot (with my drone) of my van along with a friends pickup with tent a couple of years ago:

DJI_0495.jpg

Attachments

• DJI_0495.jpg
    DJI_0495.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 35
RollingOm said:
I like this, looks easy. Is that on a truck?

Pontiac Aztec.  The tent is a factory option.  The Aztec also came with a built in air compressor so you could inflate your air mattress.  There are some youtube videos of folks setting that tent up and all of them say it isn't difficult at all.  Aztec also had an AWD version so you could go in more off road situations.   I think one of these would be awesome especially if you built a tag along camp kitchen trailer for cooking and storage.

I have the Sportz tent that hooks to the back of my SUV. I love it. Not sure about the longevity of it using it full-time. I've used it a hand full of times and have had to patch a hole in the floor already. Maybe I had a rock poke through. I can also use it with a teardrop camper I have. All in all I would buy it again.

say a gye last week on the blueridge parkway puling a6by8 flat bed trailer with a jeep and he had bult a platform about 6 feet high on the trailer and put a  car top tent up their and bult his kitchen on the bottom of the trailer it was a pretty nice set up.

Almost There said:
Jannette, there should be an off switch on your ceiling lights so that the interior lights don't come on at all when the doors are opened.

Check your owners manual to locate it in your vehicle.

Vehicle tents have their advantages in that they expand the living area of the vehicle. They also have disadvantages like having to separate them from the vehicle if you want to go somewhere.

A friend had one that was free standing and you could either use it that way or open up one of the side walls and attach it with a special panel that zippered on to the tent. It was a combination of both but it took up a tremendous amount of space in her roof top cargo carrier and was a PITA to set up. It only got used if the plan was to stationary for a week or more because of the time it took to pack and unpack.

Perhaps you'd be happier with a self made one. I used to use my 10x10 free standing shape canopy for that by parking quite close to it and then using a clear side panel to drape over the roof of my mini-van. I could step out in to the shelter through the side sliding door but also close the door at night for sleeping. The 10x10 area was set up as my kitchen and living room with lawn furniture and the camp stove, etc. The mini-van became essentially my bedroom. To drive off and leave it in place all I had to do was take the side panel and unhook it from the van. No it didn't give me bug-free living in the complete complex but it sure was a whole lot easier and cheaper. That's what mosquito coils and bug spray are for... :)
I like your idea better.  Thank you for the light information.

Kia girl said:
I had to take my bulb out in the back and turn the rest off with the button up front.  It hasn’t affected my battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is very helpful, Thank you!

Motrukdriver said:
Pontiac Aztec.  The tent is a factory option.  The Aztec also came with a built in air compressor so you could inflate your air mattress.  There are some youtube videos of folks setting that tent up and all of them say it isn't difficult at all.  Aztec also had an AWD version so you could go in more off road situations.   I think one of these would be awesome especially if you built a tag along camp kitchen trailer for cooking and storage.

One of the ugliest vehicles ever made in myt opinion. But nice setup though.

Blasian_Invasian said:
One of the ugliest vehicles ever made in myt opinion. But nice setup though.

No argument there.  They had more of an industrial look than a pleasing family friendly look.  I'd own one if the right opportunity came along.

Latest posts