vehicle tents

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Off topic I know, but the Pontiac Aztec is just funky enough to maybe be worth a LOT more money 10 or 20 years from now.

Of course, in 20 years gasoline might cost $50 a gallon and only legal for use by first responders and congressmen...

Even further off topic but when petro fuel gets too expensive you can always do this:

If folks are only going 40 to 50 miles between camping spots this could be a real money saver.  

Note: The video is a short 2:10 minute long very basic conversion of a gas engine to electric motor pickup truck and yes off topic from the OP but interesting enough to post here.  You could put a tent on the back of the pickup so maybe that makes it closer to on topic.

I dunno, can you name other vehicles that were laughed at when current, then became classics later on?

Even the likes of Jay Leno and Seinfeld aren't paying top dollar for a Gremlin. . .

I was just checking out Gemlins for no apparent reason other than that "It's a thing of beauty" commercial and ya know, a tent extension off the back of it would be pretty sweet.

Then you might like a Pacer too, gotta believe they go for nothing, IMO for good reason :cool:

Tent and vehicles?
This is how I do it with my minivan during monsoon season in the Rockies. Rained every damn day but I was prepared for it. :)
That is actually a screen room tarped over. Good for rain and bugs.
Can be done with any vehicle really.
And then there is the sylvansport.
https://www.sylvansport.com/camper/lightweight-tent-trailer/

IMG_20170718_193510-640x480.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170718_193510-640x480.jpg
    IMG_20170718_193510-640x480.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 23
Almost There said:
Jannette, there should be an off switch on your ceiling lights so that the interior lights don't come on at all when the doors are opened.

Check your owners manual to locate it in your vehicle.

Vehicle tents have their advantages in that they expand the living area of the vehicle. They also have disadvantages like having to separate them from the vehicle if you want to go somewhere.

A friend had one that was free standing and you could either use it that way or open up one of the side walls and attach it with a special panel that zippered on to the tent. It was a combination of both but it took up a tremendous amount of space in her roof top cargo carrier and was a PITA to set up. It only got used if the plan was to stationary for a week or more because of the time it took to pack and unpack.

Perhaps you'd be happier with a self made one. I used to use my 10x10 free standing shape canopy for that by parking quite close to it and then using a clear side panel to drape over the roof of my mini-van. I could step out in to the shelter through the side sliding door but also close the door at night for sleeping. The 10x10 area was set up as my kitchen and living room with lawn furniture and the camp stove, etc. The mini-van became essentially my bedroom. To drive off and leave it in place all I had to do was take the side panel and unhook it from the van. No it didn't give me bug-free living in the complete complex but it sure was a whole lot easier and cheaper. That's what mosquito coils and bug spray are for... :)

I for one would love to see a picture of this set up! PRETTY PLEASE w/sugar on top!

Lot's of vehicle tent options out there to be sure. Since I'm a hardcore tent camper, I've often considered a roof top system to get me off the ground. In the case of a van, the vehicle interior could be used for a more robust living, cooking and storage space while the roof top tent would perform as your master bedroom so to speak..

The following links are to websites describing various vehicle tent camping options and benefits.

These links maybe hazardous to limited data plans, don't follow them...

http://www.camper-van-fun.com/roof-top-tent.html

https://cascadiatents.com/

Ken in Anaheim said:
I don't own this but it looks like a great combo (TailVeil.com) :

This tent I like and I'm going to get one.

a word about those ground tents you set up on the back of your vehicle. I had one for awhile. if you don't move your vehicle they are nice. however if you have to back your vehicle into the tent all the time they are a pain in the ass. the one I had you needed to be in exactly the same spot as when you set it up. even an inch off and it wouldn't fit right. so if you come in late at night and your tired, trying to park in the exact spot was a pain. I got rid of mine. something to think about. highdesertranger

Actually, I need to reverse a vehicle up narrow ramps into an enclosed trailer with **very** little room to spare, so I could use the practice.

Are there gadgets to help with that?

I'm thinking sensors with buzzer, laser like construction levellers use.

How about "locking" the steering once the wheels are perfectly straight?

I'd rather winch it in slowly than have to drive it in every time...

I agree with HDR, the ones that attach to the backs of the vehicles are a pain. I tried one that set up over the bed of my pick up and after a few weeks of setting it up and taking it down i got rid of it. A stand alone tent or a rooftop tent that sets up and down quickly would be preferable IMO. I want to try a roof top tent with a hard top that raises up and down in a minute, but they are very pricey, which if I liked it wouldn't bother me but it's the more if I don't like it that scares me on the costs as i'm sure i'd lose at least 1/3rd of the price reselling it.

Every Road Leads Home,
just curious why the hard top? is it for the protection while it's folded down?
i'm looking to buy one for my hummer and i like the Smittybilt because of the skylights

i'm not looking for full time, just when hitting trails in ocala national forest and overland exploring a round Fl