Vandwellers; Lazy or Wise?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Reaction score
I keep hearing from people about how easy I have it because I live in a van. No yard to take care of, very little cleaning to do, no utilities to pay, low cost of living. They also feel that I've checked out of the real world, that I'm just coasting on savings and occasional manual labor. The implication is that I'm lazy and not contributing to the economy or society.
Much of what they say is true. But where is it written that I owe the world servitude just for existing? In many professions, people work 20-30 years and retire. I've worked more than that. I can't afford to retire but I can live cheap and only work occasionally, which is my choice.
I got a tattoo that says, "I love a broad margin to my life." H. D. Thoreau. Most of my life I worked nine months and traveled for three months. I would work hard, extra hours, and scrimp so I could really live those three months.
Now I need to pace myself or my body will break down. Hence, vandwelling. I no longer travel on expensive trips to other countries but I don't really mind. I have lots of memories to draw on. Now is a good time to see and explore close to home.
Is that being lazy? I admit I sleep more, don't accomplish much, read a lot of books, have few goals, and don't get involved with politics, religion, or society in general. But I often help people that need it, work out regularly, maintain good hygiene, and don't mooch off the public.
So, wise or lazy? How about yourself?

I like to think that I am wise about being lazy. I am lazy in that I prefer to do things right the first time in order that I will save myself the time and effort of doing it over again. For example, back when we owned houses... Our first house that we bought, we spent a lot of time, sweat and money putting in a wide row raised garden. We had a minimal garden the first summer and spent the summer and following fall and winter working on all the beds, getting them filled with good soil. The rest of the years (except the year I got pregnant with my twins... I was unable to work in the garden after I reached 5 months or the end of July when the garden got away from me), we spent minimal prep and work in the garden. We mostly planted then harvested. We were even so lazy that we planted our potatoes in a 55 gallon drum which yielded about 50 lbs of Kennebec taters. Sure beat chipping the things out of the clay soil. Just tip the drum over on it's side, roll back a forth a little to losen the soil and dump the whole mess out on a tarp. Picked the taters out and dumped the soil into one of the garden beds (3 ft wide X 60 ft long). My family called me lazy... as they ate out taters because their gardens failed (too much water... not a problem with the raised beds). I figure I'm both wise and lazy. Wise to find ways to save me work to be lazy. Like "Work smart, not hard". I tell every one all the time I'm lazy. Only a lazy person would have invented the wheel. The hard worker would have simply worked harder.

I think a lot of times it's sour grapes, people look at the freedom and the fact that you're not "beholden" in order to exist and I think it actually irks them. Their issue, not yours.

I have a buddy, a successful lawyer; big house, big breasted trophy wife, children, expensive cars, horses, land, etc... and he hates his life. The guys makes more money in one year than I will make my entire life, but he goes to work every morning before the sun rises, and returns home every evening after the sun sets. If he is lucky he gets two days off in a week... if... and even then he spends that time trying to maintain all that "bigness". He knows what I do, and envies me for it. I doubt he would give up all that he has for a van, but I suspect if he could re-live his life he would have chosen a different path.

I'm not so sure it is "lazy" as much as it is "smart" if you ask me.

I never feel bad about not supporting this civilization. If I ever doubt it I remind myself:

1) We are busily and happily destroying our Eco-system so that our grand-children will grow up in misery.
2) We are consuming the last of the earths precarious resources and will leave little for our children.
3) Millions of people (including children) are in literal slavery or indentured servitude across the globe so we can have $5 toasters.
4) I believe that we are so over-organized and so over-populated that we are losing our humanity and being turned into commodities, units of commerce that destroys our soul.

I believe the American Dream is deeply, profoundly immoral and I can't support it.
Bob

Well said, Bob, well said!!

akrvbob said:
I never feel bad about not supporting this civilization. If I ever doubt it I remind myself:

1) We are busily and happily destroying our Eco-system so that our grand-children will grow up in misery.
2) We are consuming the last of the earths precarious resources and will leave little for our children.
3) Millions of people (including children) are in literal slavery or indentured servitude across the globe so we can have $5 toasters.
4) I believe that we are so over-organized and so over-populated that we are losing our humanity and being turned into commodities, units of commerce that destroys our soul.

I believe the American Dream is deeply, profoundly immoral and I can't support it.
Bob
I wanted to say "Thank you" for that post. I'm pretty sure that many of us here feel the same way. I feel powerless to stop it, disgusted by the stupidity of it, and apathy in the presence of it. I believe this lifestyle will afford me the freedom (irony) that I currently lack, and will be able to enjoy my life until I close my eyes for the last time.
Sad, but it is what it is. Be well - Slim.

I don't much care what people think or how they feel about my lifestyle. The only thing that matters is being happy.

I try not to judge others for their lifestyle and don't give a rip how they judge mine.

I live by the philosophy that I do what I want as long as I'm not hurting anyone. If I want to sit and stare at the wall all day, then that's what I'm gonna do and I won't feel bad about it. If someone else wants to do that, I'm not going to say a thing. If I want to work all the time and live off of 4 hours of sleep a night, then that's what I'm going to do. I'm somewhere in the middle.

I've also learned that no matter what I do, I'm wrong. Someone will try to tell me how I should be living. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but then I ask myself, "Am I hurting anyone?" If I answer, "No," then I'm good.

25 years ago I had a friend who revealed to a group of us that he spent $400 dollars a month on marijuana. He couldn't afford a car because too much of his disposable income went to smoking weed. He didn't even own a TV! OMG! We were shocked and all of us immediately began telling him how wrong that was. But he quickly put us in our place. He had a job that he showed up to every day and performed well (not all of us could say that). He paid the rent for his studio apartment on time and ate well- at least by American standards. He lived 3 or 4 blocks from work, so he didn't need a car. He said he wasn't hurting anyone and that this was his choice. Outside of work, he did little. He read books and cleaned his house, but that was most of his existence. He didn't hurt anyone nor was he ever a burden on anyone, except maybe himself. I eventually respected his choices and never disparaged him again although I did have some disagreement with his choices. This conversation became part of the foundation for how I live my life. I am very thankful for that.

I know a lot of ambitious people that use their ambition to bring people down for no reason except that they can. So what if you're lazy? That is not inherently bad.

"Wise laziness" can be a good thing. The lazy wiseperson does things the quickest and most efficient way, to minimize effort and to not have to do it again. Many of our household gadgets came about because someone found a 'lazy' way to accomplish something and minimizing the effort. I can certainly respect such a person. He/she has more time to ENJOY life rather than slave at it.

LeeRevell said:
"Wise laziness" can be a good thing. The lazy wiseperson does things the quickest and most efficient way, to minimize effort and to not have to do it again. Many of our household gadgets came about because someone found a 'lazy' way to accomplish something and minimizing the effort. I can certainly respect such a person. He/she has more time to ENJOY life rather than slave at it.

Not just household gadgets but most everything we use in labour, business and home life that is called "modern" could be considered a "lazy" way. Power drills, microwaves, cookstoves, refrigeration, cars, bicycles... anything bought at a store.

Then we have to go to work to buy the things that make life easier for us. Which gives us more time, so we buy more things to make life easier and we take our extra time to make more money so we can buy more stuff. Of course if we don't have the money to buy it right now, we can always go into LIFE SUCKING DEBT!!! So we have to work more... and it goes round and round.

Sorry. The "Consumerism Season" or what many call "Christmas Season" is getting into full swing already and I am already fed up with it.

I try to not worry too much about what other people think. I watched my mom bust her ass working 10-12 hours a day 6 days a week with the hope of retiring one day so she could travel. She passed away from cancer at 60 years old having never had the opportunity to do many of the things she always wanted to do. My point is that people like to assume that there's always going to be time "later" to get around to living their lives the way they want to when that's not always the case. So many people are conditioned to think that if you're not miserable and in debt up to your ears then you're doing something wrong. Personally, I'm not convinced that's the best way to go about doing things. ;)

There are people who want to live simply and still pull their own weight. Nobody has any business criticizing that. Then, there are simple living bums like the one we found a few years ago sleeping behind our bushes with an extension cord plugged into our outside shed socket and who I think was getting his water out of our outside tap. Two entirely different types of simple living people.

Interesting topic and answers. :) I want to trade as little of my time (job) to meet my needs so that I can do whatever I want with the rest of my time, even if that's being lazy.

compassrose said:
...Sorry. The "Consumerism Season" or what many call "Christmas Season" is getting into full swing already and I am already fed up with it.

Looking forward to being on the road soon where we can mostly ignore it, except when dashing into a town for groceries!

Latest posts