Vandwellers; Lazy or Wise?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first year without my mom as she passed away last March. She loved all go the hoopla around Xmas and I never have... so this year, for the first time in my life (at age 54) I get to ignore the whole thing. My honey and I will head to our tiny little place in FL and enjoy the beach instead!

i enjoy finding cool unique gifts...like a challenge to get something that says 'i know you this well'.

as for lazy..im in the efficient camp not lazy ;)

When my late father was alive, he was a cantankerous sort and we got on the outs for the final five years. We did not talk in that time. I skipped all holidays with the family. We finally came to an understanding when he was on his deathbed, and 'buried the hatchet'. The last couple years I am taking care of my elderly Mom, and we do hold small holiday celebrations. Christmas is much reduced over what the family had been doing the last twenty years or so - used to put up a large 'Christmas Village' display, and have a tree with lots of gifts. We now are doing the gift thing but much reduced. Kind of a 'laziness factor' but it also simply got to be too much for us as we all aged. I and my sister have no kids, so no youngsters to cater too. Makes for quick tear down and clean up after the holiday is over.

Our family used to buy gifts for each other until I suggested a change. Instead we pick a name out of the hat and spend the same amount on one person that we would have buying for everyone. Much nicer gifts and a whole lot less shopping......everyone was happy with the change.

On the wise vs lazy thing.......don't let others get even a centilla of control over you by saying you're lazy. They don't understand you so they want to undermine your thinking and conform it to what they can understand and relate to. I usually acknowledge that I have heard them out but disagree with them. If that doesn't work then try to remember that conforming with the norms of others led to a rat race where as doing the opposite led to a more enjoyable and free life by comparison......which BTW means you are actually wiser than they are.:D