Van towing a trailer, any regrets?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtmactech

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building out a van for the 2019 RTR and hopeful full-timing it shortly after, and would like to pull a small trailer with UTV/sideXside.  The weight is well within the vans capability.  I realize that having a trailer will limit some locations I go and add some complications to travel and supply runs.

My question is have any of you started out with a trailer for toys/storage and then parked/sold it because of the complications and hassles of having a trailer?  I don't need the UTV and storage but do think it would increase day to day fun and exploration opportunities.  Thanks.

Things change so much regarding UTV, ATV and 4X4 off road use. Where and when it is legal? How loud? Do people really go by what ever rules are in place? Are those tracks really a road? Much of it depends where you will be traveling. The general population has become used to UTV's out west but back east not so much. I found a street legal vehicle much easier so I trailer a street legal almost stock Suzuki Samuria at less than 2500 lbs it not much more than a fully loaded UTV. It can also be flat towed with a tow bar.

Vtmachtec since I see you are going to rtr then you will never regret bringing that UTV. You can use it in the street as a car, in the desert to find all kinds of neat places, and even register it and get a license tag without having an Arizona drivers license.

I put 1000 miles on mine in Quartzsite in about a month and a half. There are groups you can join there if you don’t want to travel alone. The trails are endless.

I lived in a 6x10 cargo trailer and towed it with my van. I got rid of it because it hindered my back-road travels too much.

I want to explore, and with a trailer I can’t just head down a “road” and see what’s down there. Why?

In the National Forests, the roads I want to go down all get narrower, curvier and steeper. That’s a bad combination with a trailer because they are almost always overgrown with trees and there is zero chance your turning it around if you go far enough. Trying to back a trailer out of a place I can barely get the van into is a nightmare.

So, I either park the van/trailer and walk down the road to see how far I can go, or just give up on it.

All too often you’ll find yourself going back as far as the RVs go, and then you’re forced to camp with them. That means people too close, too many generators, too many ATVs, very little privacy and lots of noise. No thanks!

With just the van, I’ll start down roads they won’t even think of as roads!

bullfrog said:
Things change so much regarding UTV, ATV and 4X4 off road use.  Where and when it is legal?  How loud?  Do people really go by what ever rules are in place?  Are those tracks really a road?  Much of it depends where you will be traveling.  The general population has become used to UTV's out west but back east not so much.  I found a street legal vehicle much easier so I trailer a street legal almost stock Suzuki Samuria at less than 2500 lbs it not much more than a fully loaded UTV.  It can also be flat towed with a tow bar.

Wish I could find another samurai. I had a 88 Suzuki samurai many years ago with 50,000 miles on it and it was super clean rust free. I loved that thing. Believe it or not I pulled my 3 rail trailer with it too. Hauling dirt bikes. Loved that thing. 75mph on the highway she was about maxed out.

Well it depends upon your specfics and preferences.
Where and how you will travel? Certainly doable from all those running around the Southwest hauling their toys on trailers. There are many and the highways are filled on the weekends with them.

Where do YOU plan on travelling, parking, camping and exploring with the trailer will be the key assessment. It can eventually turn into a ball and chain scenario for some, always having to deal with a trailer. Does the benefit outweigh the negatives?

The trailer is a limitation for depth into remote areas and parking/ boondocking in population. Do allot of that and you will see it's limitations. Only you know if this is applicable/ annoying for you and worth it. You may not mind this at all and adjust. Park and camp wherever, explore with the buggy. Your experience will give you the answer. Some raise their trailer for more clearance. Some do it for a awhile until the novelty wears off.
Some mount a motorcycle on a hitch carrier avoiding the trailer issues. ;)

Means just more baggage, issue to deal with. Lots to be said for the simplicity of a single, self contained unit.
What is your personal preference and limit? You probably won't regret it unless you really yearn to camp deep in the jungle where getting there is harder/ impossible with a trailer. Am sure that there are lots of accessible, remote camping/trailer spots. It's all about flexibility.

Toys do make life more enjoyable, giving greater range and opportunity to explore and fill ones life with more adventure. Some just choose one, capable travel/off road rig vs + trailer/utv-atv. If you're an explorer, go with the trailer. If you're a remote, long term camper, think about it, the choices, benefits of investing more into one capable rig.
Choose what works best for you.

I just bought a single axle 6x12 enclosed trailer and will be bringing my tools, motorcycle' extra parts (transmission, etc) behind a 91 gmc g2500 vandura.I plan on traveling starting in early May and will keep the trailer stored at my daughters apartment complex in Michigan over the summer. Then will be heading out west to Sturgis in August for the bike rally. After that I will be going to Yellowstone, grand canyon, zion, and eventually end up in San Diego where I will have to pay for storage. Hopefully it won't be too expensive for a 12' trailer. Also little concerned about towing it through the mountains from Yellowstone to Arizona.

Arizona will register anything street legal, you need a few basic and cheap add ons. in Alaska, rural Nevada, rural California, and rural Oregon in most areas ATV's are welcome on the streets in towns. if not there is usually a trail to ride on next to the street. highdesertranger

Thanks everyone, my quandary is do I try to maintain a "KISS" strategy and go van only or do I complicate my existence with toys/entertainment I can live without but enjoy.

I have a terrible habit of convincing myself things are necessary while knowing they are not. Part of my reason for exploring van dwelling is to remove the fluff and clutter of my life.

I may simplify it down a little first round out and install Warn hubs front and rear and flat tow it like a toad. (It is technically a UTV but in all other respects it is a new manufacture CJ5 with a turbo diesel.) A few small trips and the 2-3 weeks for the RTR will show me the folly or feasibility of my plan.

I'm building the van out early, doing a few trips including the next RTR and plan on full timing it after Sept 2019 when I'm fully vested and the world becomes my oyster.