Van Security?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you know that many vehicles keys work in other vehicles? I once towed off the wrong van because the key I was given to use fit another one that was identical just parked on the opposite side of the parking lot. That guy was probably drunk and lost his van. He’s probably still having nightmares! Glad everything worked out for your friend. My experience not so well!

Besides a .38 and a Korean ho-mi, I’m in the process of stringing up bones across the cab of my van. I want people to think twice about trying anything. The weathered exterior of my 30-y.o. rig also states there’s probably nothing of value inside :D

This is a legitmate concern of mine as I begin my travels. I know the odds are in my favor, but I think one real bad experience would live a lasting impression for me. I have dog spray or might buy some bear spray for that......first time event.

bullfrog said:
Did you know that many vehicles keys work in other vehicles?

Happens with motel keys,too. It's happened to me twice. Once when I opened the door to the wrong room that was already occupied and another time when someone opened the door to the room I was in.

Either incident could have had tragic results if someone was the hair-trigger type.

The stupid desk clerk at the first motel just laughed and said, "You could have been shot!". Hahaha.

You can imagine the massive lawsuits that property owners would face just because they were too cheap to maintain key security

PS: A little off topic but van dwellers do rent rooms occasionally.

I know it's been a month since last post, but I figured this could help keeping a campsite more secure against approaching troublemakers. 

It might be good with a magnet mount to on the edge of a van roof.

Almost There said:
.... If I drive through someplace like downtown Buffalo I lock the doors while on the road driving....
I have done the same thing but not sure how car jackers can get in at 70 mph.

I always lock everything & have an awareness of where my keys are and who is around me.

Van intruder? The local feral cat got in there and left a smelly spot behind. Thank you very much mrs. cat.
-crofter

I've had a few scares. Once while I was getting dressed in the morning I had a couple big thumps. And heard someone walking. I pulled on my pants and jumped out with a hunting knife and
it was just some guy parking his BMW that gave my van the Brooklyn kiss with his bumper.
(in NYC almost all the cars have 'bumper buddies')
Another time I had a mentally ill person follow me and call me 'Richard'. I think he saw me get in my van because he was outside yelling at my van a couple days later.
I was not in a mood for it that day and contemplated yelling at him or kicking his behind.
But I talked myself down. After all, he is a mentally ill guy. He is literally not in control.

As far as deterrents. I guess I grew up in violent places, so I always make sure I have a very bright flashlight and a knife or large blunt object nearby.
I know some folks mentioned guns. I'm not antigun. I own a nice Mauser actually.
I don't think it's good to rely on them for self defense.
First, law on self defense vary. And if you shoot the wrong person you could do real time.
Second, I know several people who had weapons for self defense that were stolen. That alone made me really re-consider how I thought about guns.
You will have to go to a police station and report that the weapon which was regitered to you is no longer in your possession. You certainly wouldn't want to be filing that report
AFTER it's been used in a liquor store robbery!
I've also had guns pointed at me several times.
When you are in the heat of the moment, people often get that shaky adrenaline thing happening.
It is terrifying to be on the other end of that when someone isn't observing proper trigger discipline!
And having been in a few dust ups and what not I know sometimes I get those shakeys, sometimes I remain cool.
So i opt to go with hunting knives, blunt objects and just being a big guy.
At least with a knife I have to really try to kill someone. With a gun you have to really try not to!
Plus a knife has a 1001 uses besides scaring away intruders!

ps. the other thing I do is keep my key fob next to me so I can trigger the alarm if anyone even gets close to the vehicle.
Dont even think it!

I travel with a dog who has a very big bark and likes to show her teeth.

Ain’t no one sneaking up on me, nor getting close to a window if I am at a stop sign.

Stops panhandlers in their tracks.

Levels of protection are always key. 

Deter, Warn, Defend. 

I run a dashcam that is motion activated, on my sun visor i have a warning sticker i flip down warning people video/audio is being recorded. 

I also have a car alarm that will also remotely notify me through my key fob/Phone if someone tries to break in and i am not around to here it go off. Super nice in areas where alarms go off and the thieves know no one pays attention. 

I always have a decent knife ready to go, or some blunt object close by, maybe even one of my Guns if absolutely necessary.

Crofter: "... not sure how carjackers can get in at 70 mph."

No stop signs or red lights where you travel, eh?

Ripper238, mind sharing what dashcam, sticker and car alarm you use? Your method sounds good.

RVTravel said:
Ripper238, mind sharing what dashcam, sticker and car alarm you use? Your method sounds good.

The one i use now is the BlackVue 650 dash cam, its about 7 years old. Not the cheapest dash cam, so a great quality alternative would be the VIOFO A129 duel. Or any VIOFO. 

The alarm is made by DEI who makes Python and Viper alarm systems. More specifically i have a very old version of the Python 5906p. Lots of custom possibilities since it can be used with a smartphone or just the fob with 1mi range.

Got this sticker off Amazon, they have others and smaller ones you can stick on windows and whatnot. 
XrnJ9hym.jpg