Van Security?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A good recip saw and a few blades would eventually defeat the brackets. Its the "hassle" and "noise" that most thieves don't want. I've never seen a commercial van broken into with those tamper resistant locks I installed. Usually if someone wants the contents inside bad enough, its easier to smash the drivers side window out and have a buddy pull the van with a tow strap.

Free Range Chicken said:
I see more and more vans using The hidden shackle lock combo. How good is it ?  Is it hard to tamper / break? ??

I am nearly as paranoid as my name suggests.  I have been researching locks.  I ran across this video on Youtube:

It shows the Master Lock version being EASILY picked open.

However, more than one company makes locks like this.  Take a look at this similar lock on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Mul-t-lock-MT...id=1438277832&sr=8-2&keywords=mul+t+lock+puck

A lot of money, yes?  But note that it uses the MT5+ key system.

Now take a look at THIS video on Youtube:

Towards the end,  you will get a close look at the MT5+ keys.

Regards
John

A quick follow up:

Note that the Master lock version of the puck lock has it's key at the 3 o'clock position and uses a hasp like THIS:

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-7..._sbs_60_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HG47H8ZC4W6VHTD79K4

Where as the better American Lock and Mul T Lock have there keys at the 6 o'clock position and require a hasp like THIS:

http://www.amazon.com/NU-SET-2714-3...sbs_60_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DEC3VVQNESZ2T6G3VMD

So the locks LOOK almost identical, but are not fully interchangeable, apparently.

Regards
John

PS:  Would love to hear any comments from Milk Hauler

Yeah! When there is a will, theres ALWAYS a way to gain entry. When I couldn't pick a high security lock, as the ones with mushroom pins, Well... [emoji12]

uploadfromtaptalk1438287413215.png

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438287413215.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1438287413215.png
    167 KB · Views: 17
Milk Hauler said:
Yeah! When there is a will, theres ALWAYS a way to gain entry. When I couldn't pick a high security lock, as the ones with mushroom pins,  Well...  [emoji12]

I understand that if somebody wants to get in bad enough, they will eventually get in.

I just don't want a village idiot who's watched some Youtube videos on bump keys and lock picks to have an easy time of it.

I mean, if you're going to put BAD locks on, why bother?  I want the satisfaction of knowing that the bastard who stole MY stuff had to work really hard to get it!

Regards
John

just remember all these locks on the outside keep you from using the doors from the inside. highdesertranger

I have added dead bolts to the sliding door in the partition wall, and on the inside or the rear barn doors of my kurbmaster, so if they get into the cab doors which are locked they still have to get through the partition and will slow them down on the rear door. I also carry a can of bear spray and keep it handy to my bed just in case, it is Yogi trying to get my picnic basket.

Anyone using an alarm? Not just the wired-in alarms but window alarms or any other kind.

How about motion activated lights.

How have they worked for you?
Bob

I am not expert in the subject Bob, but my thoughts were to use a method that is not popular/widespread - I think that the more popular and widely used devices/ alarms, the less secure. So far, I have not seen any other vehicle using the same device as I do :) uploadfromtaptalk1438345900643.jpg

I got an enhanced version of the club, I think this cannot be broken as quickly as the original club.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1438345900643.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1438345900643.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Great question Bob. Are alarms worthwhile? I have been debating whether or not to install one. I am installing a hidden kill switch.

I am less likely to walk away when armed. I don't car a weapon for that reason

I have read in more than one place that The Club is not that hard to defeat.  Years ago one way we made sure our vehicles wouldn't "drive off" was to take the ignition rotor.  A look under the hood wouldn't show it.Cheap insurance.

Here's my experience of having two men try to break into my van in broad daylight on a busy street in San Jose, California.
https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Power-Windows-and-Locks

I moved a few blocks away after that.
I keep my valuables in a big Greenlee storage locker, which could have been opened if they demanded the key.
I heard from my current neighbors that people open their van or truck doors regularly if not locked, but it has been so hot here that windows and doors are often cracked for ventilation, which is dangerous in this area.
I am going to get another FOB that will set off my alarm, which my current model doesn't do.
I try to keep most valuables in a storage locker.

LeeRevell said:
I have read in more than one place that The Club is not that hard to defeat.  Years ago one way we made sure our vehicles wouldn't "drive off" was to take the ignition rotor.  A look under the hood wouldn't show it.Cheap insurance.
A tow strap and a buddies vehicle would make that usesless. At least you would have a cool a souvenir to remember your car.

Yes a club is defeated easily, well not the club... The sterring wheel! Take a recip saw to the outter sterring wheel. 5 seconds is all it takes. Spraying a can of keyboard cleaner "upside down" into the keyway will quick freeze the wafers in the lock. A fast whack with a ball pien hammer would then shatter the lock. Thats how I got then off when a custy would call me and explaine they lost the keys. They locksmith business was good in Phoenix till the market was over and l saturated with unlicensed fly by nighters. [emoji53]

They have guys in the Bay area right now stealing cat converters. They pick a vehicle that's sitting higher up in a parking lot, slide under the car and let the cordless recip do its thing. Because its so quick most people never hear a thing untill its time to go home and BBRAPP BRAAPP BRAAPP!!

ffe6b97cfcdf61002b0c21515e89504b.jpg

OK, explain that to me. Is the recycle value that high on cats these days?

ramblingvanman said:
OK, explain that to me. Is the recycle value that high on cats these days?
Most recycling centers in California will pay $50 a pop for those. Its the platinum amongst other things that's valuable. 30 seconds of work for a tweeker vs picking up cans for 3 days.

A new oem catalytic converter can go for $1500+. In emissions states, if ur cat is faulty you will fail the test. I'm assuming shady mechanics may also be involved, cause in California its illegal to install a used cat.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it is illegal to sell used cats in kalifornia unless you can prove you are a licensed muffler shop. you just can't take them to the recycle yard. these people who are stealing them are selling to unscrupulous shops who turn around and sell them as new. highdesertranger