Van or Trailer

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every Road Leads Home

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

If money wasn't a factor in the decision making process, what would you prefer for living full time in.  A van, a converted cargo trailer, A van and trailer or a 4x4 pickup and trailer.  I'm constantly going back and fourth in my head.  I have a 2013 Silverado Z71 that can tow a converted trailer no problem.  I've done around 12,000 miles of road trips in my old 03 Chevy Express and enjoyed every bit of it.  Longest trip was 2 months.  Right now the local Chevy dealer has the Chevy express 2500's for 24,250 and I could basically trade my truck in and add a little cash and leave with a brand new van.  However, if I keep my truck I have 4wd and can access some nice back country.  But I know the trailer will limit me with not being able to go everywhere the truck can. 

Appreciate any input you have.

Matt

Personally I'd rather have a 4x4 truck over a van unless it was a 4x4 van.  I have seen some "bug out" trailers that seem to have higher ground clearance, I think the factory built models are big $$$$$$ but there are some DIY info around. 

Maybe a cargo trailer with better suspension and front and rear skid plates????   Maybe  the box of a cargo trailer on a heavy duty equipment flat bed...then there would be room for a motorcycle and a B-B-Q grill    :)        
 Some former military trailers also have been converted if I remember correctly.   I  googled "off grid and off road in old military vehicles"  and found a lot of things trailers included 

I just decided to get up a 3:30 am and saw your post & started thinking about it.

I'd want a older pickup back in the late'70s would be great..... Ford F350, 4X4 with lock out hubs, crew cab, LWB;  solar set up {of course}, pull out the back seat and put in a bed..... bed cap on the back of the truck....annnnnnnd a trailer as discussed above probably the heavy equipment one except i'd fall right over on a motorcycle........I could get a sidecar :idea: oh man if it had a rack on top I could have jon boat too!  I wonder why my grandkids either say G-ma you're just "cool or crazy" & their parents mostly say "door number 2"? :angel:                                   Happy Trails...................................TJB

I'd go 4x4 Van pulling a trailer with as much clearance as feasible.....then when yer in the boonies and the trailer stops yer progress, that becomes 'base camp'...unhook, set up camp, explore in the truck only, back to base camp for R & R, rinse, repeat.

I re-read your OP looking for # of occupants.
IF it was just me i'd go van - again. My wife and I did add a 15ft fiberglass trailer to tow behind the van conversion but (as noted by another) there is a point where your tow vehicle, if at all capable (like our lifted awd conversion is) you long to go further up the trail/forestry road. Though I think if one lifted a 2wd van they could get quite a ways up a forestry trail. I see mom and pops in 2wd sedans on the trails so it can be done. Back in the day playing in our FJ40 the idea was to drive in 2wd as long as possible. 4wd was a last resort. The only reason we have AWD in our current van is our roads on the Oregon Coast are like standing water 6 months of the year ; )

Then what to do with your little gem of a trailer?

Well we left the trailer back at some forestry camp so many times while we went up the trail and pitched camp we said phooey on the trailer and sold it last fall. The one thing this meant for us was we could then do some further mods on the van to have an easy-to-set camp kitchen so we had Aluminess build a galley box/bumper and we can now travel as far up a trail as we dare. At some point for us it just gets to much like "The Hills Have Eyes" and we make camp. We've never run into a situation where the road we were on was impassable for our setup and it is not a 4x4, rather a lifted awd, but we aren't asking it to rock crawl : )

We also incorporate hammocks into the setup most trips. Like the setup shown here while doing a test hang. We have two of them and will put them right next to each other and have a camp lantern or fun led string lights in porch mode (open toward each other) before hunkering down for the night. We don't need any trees and the stands fold up under the van's platform bed.

accrete_wbrr-wbsf-tatostand.jpg

Just another idea on how to get more _space_. Our rig is basically set up like what you might see with a Syncro/Westy build. Light interior build/bed/bath and galley outside.

Best wishes on the hunt for the perfect-for-you rig!
Thom

I vote for a factory 4x4. pulling a cargo trailer. I have a 1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually. all manual, no power anything, well it does have power steering and brakes. I also bring my 4wheeler so I don't have to drive my primary vehicle around, save a lot of wear and tear. I am currently looking for a 20ft cargo trailer. yes I will make it off road capable. highdesertranger

Every Road Leads Home said:
Hi Everyone,

If money wasn't a factor in the decision making process, what would you prefer for living full time in.  A van, a converted cargo trailer, A van and trailer or a 4x4 pickup and trailer.  I'm constantly going back and fourth in my head.  I have a 2013 Silverado Z71 that can tow a converted trailer no problem.  I've done around 12,000 miles of road trips in my old 03 Chevy Express and enjoyed every bit of it.  Longest trip was 2 months.  Right now the local Chevy dealer has the Chevy express 2500's for 24,250 and I could basically trade my truck in and add a little cash and leave with a brand new van.  However, if I keep my truck I have 4wd and can access some nice back country.  But I know the trailer will limit me with not being able to go everywhere the truck can. 

Appreciate any input you have.

Matt
Get a slide in for your 4x4, used of course. Go Small, go Far!

At least two converted cargo trailers, winter location and non-winter location, and a 4 cylinder AWD (Subaru, etc.) to camp out of and travel between them ; ).

accrete said:
I re-read your OP looking for # of occupants.

It will be me and my girlfriend.  She loves to travel, but i'll be honest, i'm not sure how long she's gonna last on the road full time.  It will be interesting to say the least!  I like the hammock idea, I actually just bought one for home, to see how I like sleeping in one.  Going to set it up tomorrow and really expect that I will love it.  Interesting that you got rid of the trailer,  looks like a lot of people end up ditching the trailer.  Although I've found a few that added a trailer to their van set up and love the addition.  Might be one of those things I'll never know until I try!

RVTravel said:
At least two converted cargo trailers, winter location and non-winter location, and a 4 cylinder AWD (Subaru, etc.) to camp out of and travel between them ; ).
     Every Road Leads Home: Not even sure I want to tow one around with me,  having two to deal with sounds like a lot of work!  If I make a trailer, it will be very capable of both winter and summer use.  I've been in construction for 18 years, owned a cabinet shop for 5 of them.  Grew up installing floor coverings for my dad's business.  Framed, finish work, laminate work, cabinets, tile, plumbing, electric, I've had my  hands in all of it.  

Campor99  
Get a slide in for your 4x4, used of course. Go Small, go Far!
    Every Road Leads Home: I had a slide in for my truck a few years ago and didn't like it at all.  They kind of do everything but don't do anything well if that makes sense. 

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]highdesertranger[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I vote for a factory 4x4. pulling a cargo trailer. I have a 1978 chevy 1 ton 4x4 dually. all manual, no power anything, well it does have power steering and brakes. I also bring my 4wheeler so I don't have to drive my primary vehicle aound, save a lot of wear and tear. I am currently looking for a 20ft cargo trailer. yes I will make it off road capable.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]   Every Road Leads Home: I'm leaning towards that method.  I have a 2013 Chevy Silverado Z71 I bought new and don't owe anything on it, although it's not as simple and easy to work on as the older vehicles, I'm very comfortable with it and can do a lot of the work it will eventually need myself, unless something with the computer goes haywire, but knock on wood, 50k on it and no problems yet.  I'll be envious of your truck if that happens though, that's for sure. Before this I had an 86 Chevy K10 and even though technically it was a half ton, I feel like it was twice the truck my new one is strength wise and I could climb in the engine bay and work on it there was so much room!  Kind of kicking myself for letting that one go.  I was thinking of a 14 or 16' trailer and would love to bring my ATV along for around camp.  I'd bring a canoe too, if I go the trailer route so it would be nice having that extra space for some toys. Heck tools too, and could pick up some jobs as I travel. [/font]

Part of the decision making process should be whether you want to live in, or live out of your rig. If you choose to live in your rig with more than one person, then added space is advisable.

If instead you're going to live out of your vehicle, then space to live inside your rig isn't quite as important, but remember that there WILL be days you will want to live inside your vehicle because of the weather etc.

Hi Matt, thx for the clarification.

Soooo....
As a silly aside, if you are up for a bit of fun reading, head over to a place called HammockForums.net you will find good info on the idea of using a hammock indoors too. Many folks actually use them full time in their homes rather than a regular bed. Even in our big rid (the 43ft toy hauler we full time in) we have the opportunity to use them if the mood hits. If you wish, take a look at the DIY stand thread I started. The stands are cheap to build and work indoors and in camp. I actually have two pair of the stands i'm going to give away to whomever wants to pick them up. Hint Hint.

On girlz and vans. My wife LOVES her van!!!! Most guys do to, she gets proposals at least once or twice a month : )
She designed most of the interior and van specialties crew built to specs. We have full intentions to moth-ball the big rig once we pull the plug from the 9to5 and live in van. She insists she never wants to have the _drag_ of a trailer behind the van. Likened it several times to a ball-and-chain. AND it was a breeze to tow, didn't even know it was behind the van so that was never the issue. It was just the wanderlust in booth of us that took the luv for trailer out of the equation.

Cheers,
Thom

accrete said:
Hi Matt, thx for the clarification.

Soooo....
As a silly aside, if you are up for a bit of fun reading, head over to a place called HammockForums.net you will find good info on the idea of using a hammock indoors too. Many folks actually use them full time in their homes rather than a regular bed. Even in our big rid (the 43ft toy hauler we full time in) we have the opportunity to use them if the mood hits. If you wish, take a look at the DIY stand thread I started. The stands are cheap to build and work indoors and in camp. I actually have two pair of the stands i'm going to give away to whomever wants to pick them up. Hint Hint.

Cheers,
Thom

Hi Thom,
   I read about your van conversion.  You guys did an awesome job with it.  Bummed they stopped making the AWD models, but then again, I wished they offered it in the 2500 & 3500's too.  Seriously considering buying a 2500 and having Quigley convert it to a 4x4.  

I was on that site a few months ago, It's actually where I got the recommendation for the hammock I bought.  There really is a forum for everything!

Matt

If money is no object, I would choose a class B with decent ground clearance, if there is such a thing. 4x4 is not necessary for what I want to do.

skyl4rk said:
If money is no object, I would choose a class B with decent ground clearance, if there is such a thing.  4x4 is not necessary for what I want to do.

I'm with you on the not-necessary thingy. AND for what it's worth, Boulder Off Road Vans will lift a 2wd van (as they did for our AWD). And from what I've learned most 4x4 shops will lift a stock chevy or ford van with off the shelf parts, it's not that big a deal.

Matt, THX for the vanKudos! It was a fun build, still is...is it ever really finished? : )
Waaay back in the day (2007>2008?) Chevy had the AWD's in the 2500 platform. You can find them used, and apparently are nice rigs.
Yes on a forum for everything! Great peeps over at the hammock forums.

: ) Thom

accrete said:

Forgot to mention as I see you're in Oregon,

Flying to Portland on the 5th to visit my brother. He moved there a few years ago from the East Coast.  First trip in 5 years, looking forward to it!  I spent a few months in Portland about 5 years ago now with plans of staying there.  Grandmother got sick, so I went back, then I got sick.  My brother has since beat me out there!

Matt

Every Road Leads Home said:
Forgot to mention as I see you're in Oregon,

Flying to Portland on the 5th to visit my brother...now with plans of staying there...

: ) Enjoy your trip and time w/the family.

IF I were to do things all over...I would have figured out a way to live and work across the river in Washington state. For the same rate-of-pay for a given occupation, not only will you be bringing home more net income (there are no personal state taxes in WA), but for the most part, living in the Vancouver area will be lower housing costs. THEN if you want to buy big ticket items simply drive across i5 or i205 into Portland and there is no sales tax on your purchase (except for things you have to register w/DMV in your home state of WA).

Touch base w/me if you settle in the area, Cari and I have some great spots to camp we frequent within an hour of Vancouver/Portland Metro areas. As a note on the "Places" you will find some listed already at my blog i'm redoing if interested...see accrete.com and specifically look for tags on camping in the tag cloud or "Adventures" in the categories.

Thom

accrete said:
THEN if you want to buy big ticket items simply drive across i5 or i205 into Portland and there is no sales tax on your purchase (except for things you have to register w/DMV in your home state of WA).

Um...hate to rain on the parade, but every state I've ever lived in has a use tax:
http://dor.wa.gov/content/findtaxesandrates/usetax/ said:
Goods are purchased in another state that does not have a sales tax or a state with a sales tax lower than Washington’s.  For example, items you purchase in Oregon that are used in Washington are subject to use tax.

http://dor.wa.gov/content/getaformorpublication/publicationbysubject/taxtopics/usetax.aspx said:
Even though the "use tax" has been in effect since 1935, many people still do not fully understand how it functions as a substitute for the sales tax.
Use tax is due on:

items purchased over the Internet or through catalogs, without paying sales tax, and delivered to Washington for use here.
   any consumer item purchased in another state, without paying sales tax, and brought into Washington for use here.
   items purchased in Washington where sales tax has not been paid. This includes items purchased through private parties.

But that only affects a portion of your spending, not your entire income, and sales tax is deductible on your Federal tax if your state has no income tax, unless that's changed (I recall it started last time we had a nominal Texas resident for President, as Texas also has no state income tax).

Another benefit to Washington is that, largely due to Boeing, it follows the "Minnesota Model" on employer ownership of IP (with some quirks like a notification clause). But it's better than most states, which follow the "Massachusetts Model", where your employer owns your brain 24 hours a day.
https://www.ieeeusa.org/members/IPandtheengineer.pdf

I decided to go 4 x 4  and bought a Jeep Wrangler to tow a trailer,  cargo trailers will not go to the places I want to go boon docking and the price of a manufactured off road trailer was to much, ($30,000-$40,000) so I decided to build one myself. Much cheaper and better built. I like the idea of getting to your camp site unhooking and being able to use your vehicle to go exploring or shopping in town. Building one yourself you can design it to what you want to have in it and build it match your vehicle, I'm still in the process of building mine, I have most of the things I need to go inside of it; bed, dometic fridge, stove/sink things like that, just have to complete the trailer then hit the road.

IMAG1756 (Custom).jpg

Attachments

• IMAG1756 (Custom).jpg
    IMAG1756 (Custom).jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 13
ascii_man : ) if you re-read my post on the sales/use tax you will see I clarified it as such:

1) Physically drive over to Oregon and by an item in a store as there is never any sales tax charged at a register for items you are physically carrying out of a store in Oregon no matter what state you live in.

2) IF the item(s) have to be registered with DMV, say an auto/rv/boat etc... you will have to pay sales tax at the rate of your home state.

I made no mention of online purchasing, in which case you are correct. IF something is sold online and delivered to an address in a state that has sales/use tax the item is taxed at that rate. There is a simple workaround many of my local friends who live across the bay in Washington utilize... a ship to address in Oregon.

In 30 years of living in the state of Oregon I have never paid sales/use tax on anything purchased in state or online. I even purchased one new auto in the state of Nevada years ago and was not charged any sales tax for vehicle.

Thom

Patd4u2 said:
I decided to go 4 x 4  and bought a Jeep Wrangler to tow a trailer,  cargo trailers will not go to the places I want to go boon docking and the price of a manufactured off road trailer was to much, ($30,000-$40,000) so I decided to build one myself. Much cheaper and better built. I like the idea of getting to your camp site unhooking and being able to use your vehicle to go exploring or shopping in town. Building one yourself you can design it to what you want to have in it and build it match your vehicle, I'm still in the process of building mine, I have most of the things I need to go inside of it; bed, dometic fridge, stove/sink things like that, just have to complete the trailer then hit the road.

I'll be looking forward to seeing your trailer build when it's all done.  Looks like a really great platform.  I did a 7 week trip living out of my 2010 2 door Wrangler.  I went from Boston to Denver and met up with some friends, then we drove out to Yosemite and did 7 days of backpacking.  After they parted ways I worked my way up to Portland, through Montana on the way home.  I used a tent 90% of the trip and it really was one of the most enjoyable trips I ever did.  The jeep got me into some fantastic isolated places.  Anyways, while I was in Glacier National Park, a guy camping next to me had a 4 door Jeep and a teardrop and he had been on the road for 15 months.  I really loved his set up and was quite envious!  Looks like your trailer will be even better.  Good Luck!