VAN for a long trip to C. / S. America

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yoji

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm considering a van:

2008 Ford f350, (f250?) 5.4L, 70K miles
Extended, passenger.
Duct A/C
HUGE lift
Heavy duty roof rack
Government auction !

The dealer wants $13,000 after cleaning and paint job.

I would like your opinion . . .

I'm planning a long trip to C. and South America.
Have no plans climbing mountains or boulders.

Does anybody has previous experience with government auction vans?

Does a passenger van such this one is fully insulated ?

How difficult will be to change to a lower lift ?
What might be the Ground Clearance if I'll remove the lift?

I plan to take the van for inspection, of course.
What should I ask to be checked specifically
Should I pay the extra for compression check ? ? 70K is just a warm up.

Appreciate your input and advice.

Yoji

Most of those rigs are ran until it would cost more to repair them than to replace them, so beware.

Parts for 60's-80's vans are much easier to find down there. Parts for anything newer can be costly, and mechanics nearly impossible to find for newer stuff. That's duct tape and baling wire country.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "government auction".

A government SURPLUS auction means the government is disposing of property - vehicles in this case - that it bought new from the manufacturer, used in government service, and now no longer needs.

My family and I have bought a dozen or more such vehicles from NY State and Dutchess county over the last 25 years, and have had uniformly good luck with all of them.  They were all very well maintained.  My last three daily drivers have been ex-police cars, bought with about 90,000 miles on them and run to 150,000 - 160,000 and then scrapped.  I'm currently having a Jeep Cherokee - ex NY State Dept. of Corrections - prepped to be my "toad" when I hit the road.

On the other hand, the government also runs auctions where they dispose of stuff they've seized in criminal investigations, IRS asset forfeitures, etc. and with THAT stuff, you never know what you're getting.

Regards
John

red flags here. huge lift, any government agency usually doesn't lift a vehicle. as I have posted in other threads I believe it's a bad idea to lift any independent front suspension vehicle. this includes all 2wd vehicles. is this a 4wd with a solid front axle? or a 2wd? I think we need a lot more info. year, make, 2wd or 4wd, engine, weight rating, etc. highdesertranger

I Agree with HDR, lifted IFS is a red flag to me unless you're talking about a pre-runner style for baja type use. Also, I would spend my energy investigating what is bought, sold, and serviced most commonly where you're going to be traveling. Typically there is a "world platform" like you find in the Land Cruiser, Trooper, Rovers and so on, I would figure out the van version of that and buy it, even if that means late 80s or something. I would rather a higher risk of a breakdown with easy to find parts and service then a lower risk and part that must be ordered with no local service options.

Long ago I bought a car from an auction it was a seized car. They would not let me test drive it, only look at it and start it up. My folks took me there, otherwise I probably wouldn't have went. I had to pay a lot right there for taxes. The car drove ok, but I didn't like the no test drive thing. I don't know if that is the same situation for your vehicle you are looking at or not. Peace!

Going to South America where the roads are rough, you'll want to keep that lift. Add some good moderate A/T tires. Be aware of how to drive on the rough stuff and equip accordingly. Carry spare parts for anything you can figure will not be available there. Fuel injectors, engine computer, starter, etc.

A dealer is offering a 2008 van for $13,000 after a paint job. Dealer probably paid less than $10k.

So, I'm assuming the dealer told you they got it from a government auction??
Extended passenger vans are usually E350 (1 ton). [know the difference between 'F' series 'pick-up truck' and 'E' series 'vans' or you could end up ordering the wrong parts]
Heavy duty roof rack, high lift, and low miles(10k/yr)....sounds like a rare government vehicle....ask dealer if they know its history. Sounds like some sort of off road shuttle with a need to carry stuff on the roof....secret facility in the desert studying ET? :)
A compression test would be a good thing...especially if it spent its life on dusty dirt roads.

I agree with leaving the high lift if traveling in the 3rd world. Depending on how the lift was achieved, reversing it could be very costly...as in all new shocks and springs and possibly a shorter drive shaft.

Passenger vans don't come stock with insulation, but since this truck doesn't appear to be 'stock'...need to ask the dealer.

well with all due respect to those who say leave the lift kit, either you are under 25 years old or you have never owned a lifted independent suspension vehicle. I don't mean take the kit off, I mean don't buy the vehicle. once you lift these you cut the life expectancy of the cv axles, ball joints, a-arm bushings, tie rod ends by about 2/3. not to mention the kid that owned it before more than likely thrashed it. highdesertranger

Having lived in several places in C.A. I think I would seriously consider a newish VW van. One can have them repaired almost anywhere. I once had a clutch cable go in a southern MX town. As I was looking underneath, a guy standing on the nearest corner walked over, asked what the trouble was and said he could install a new one and fix it right there if I wanted him to. An hour later I was back on the road and had paid only shady tree rates, plus the parts of course.

Thank you all for replying,

I checked out  the van again and . . .

Its a 1998,
Had a sticker of some forestry office. That explains the high lift.
The van is in very bad shape.

I have hard time to decide what kind of car to choose.
I am 65, retiring soon and plan to travel SOLO !

As I said in my first post . . .

I'm planning a long trip to C. and South America.
Have no plans climbing mountains or boulders.

I would love a van but I insist on 4x4, but can't afford one.

Today I think I found the right compromise . . . AWD van / minivan + 2" / 3" lift.
I just started to learn how AWD is working and I think it will be perfect for my plans.

And yet, I wonder if it would be possible to install a A-TRAC kind of system, which controls traction thru ABS,
(the kind Toyota has).

And again, appreciate your input and advice.

Yoji

imo the best option for a locker is an arb air locker. open diff for highway driving, flip a switch and it's locked when you need it. however the price is pretty steep, to steep for me. that's why I have a Detroit locker, super strong, super simple, no special fluid, the design has been around since the 30's. highdesertranger

IMO a good choice van for you would be a Ford Aerostar Extended 4WD. The last year they made them was 1997 and they are not a true 4wd. Just a good front wheel, awd with automatic 4WD. I had one and am looking for another well cared for used. Drove on plenty of ice and snow without chains with no problems. Could always sense when the rear wheels switched to full drive. I only put on chains to go downhill because of braking. 4.0 liter got decent mileage. Extended had 8 feet+ behind front seats.