Van build oops!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shyian

Reaction score
I am setting here drinking my morning coffee laughing at myself. Although last night it was far from funny Iol. I started my long trip yesterday, and I was so proud about how well I planned and executed my Van build and packed my van. I was prepared and ready for anything karma could toss at me, at least that’s what I told myself!!!

All of my practice trips were state and county parks. Even lived in my van for 2 weeks in my own yard, to make sure I I was well prepared and could maintain with my mobility issues. I gave myself an A+

Yesterday afternoon I pulled into a little city park that allowed overnight parking, check in and all was good. Of course NO hook ups, but I was good because I have solar with 400amp hours ( 4-100amp batteries)

Here’s my oops moment! All of my lights are wired to the shore power. Not the in house electric from solar. I was lucky I had a flashlight lol. So this morning I am going to a local hardware store to pick up some battery operated lights and maybe a couple Lucy lights.

Not a great big oops, but one to show no matter how well you plan s*** happens !

2 years in and I am still using USB rechargeable lighting. I just plug them into the USB outlets in the morning for a recharge. Sometime this winter I will get the vinyl installed on my ceiling and then install the Led Puck lights I have sitting in a bin box. That is the very last task of my build list.

Sometime this winter I will get the vinyl installed on my ceiling
I've been wondering what to use to cover my exposed wires. I don't want a whole extra layer to hide them in. A chase that fits in corners and can be painted, maybe...?

I've been wondering what to use to cover my exposed wires. I don't want a whole extra layer to hide them in. A chase that fits in corners and can be painted, maybe...?
I have wire chases inside my cabinets. Up top the wiring to the ceiling lights has a wood trim covering. That works out as my travel trailer is fiberglass and the walls take a curve into the ceiling so I designed that upper trim to actually not be not quite flush to the ceiling. That allows me ton just tuck into gap the lightweight wiring that powers the LEDs. No clamps required! As I am both the designer and installer on my project I thought it all through in the design phase.

I sort of liked the look of the old houses with exposed wiring plus I used the really nice marine sheathed 2 wire stuff that matches the color (one of the nice things about bright white) of my walls and ceiling so I just ran /mounted it where the wall and ceiling panels meet. If it doesn’t work out I can always put hollow molding over it.

A NEMA Enclosure works great for wires. About 25.00 - 40.00 on average. It protects them from moisture too. Here is ours. We installed the Fuse block inside and mounted the enclosure under the bed. All wires in wire loom outside of the enclosure. File_000 (23).jpegFile_001 (19).jpegBlueSea_AC200P.jpeg

In spite of all the planning and practice, a "Shake Down" trip will begin to expose those overlooked or undiscovered quirks & quarks. Following trips may expose even more of them.

An inexpensive power strip plugged into your power station may solve your immediate needs for appliances you may have requiring house power. When you get back home you'll likely have a good idea of what you want to set up to use your house power.

The Captain's Log (see the Share Your Story category) would be a good place for you to start a blog thread now. It could be helpful for those who follow in your footsteps.

I am...lucky I had a flashlight... I am going to a local hardware store to pick up some battery operated lights...
a)
2003, after a half-century of make-do camping in lesser rigs, we built our ExpeditionVehicle with zero interior lights.
Instead of fixed lighting and a substantial electric 'system', we use flashlights... Black & Decker 20v with the square batteries and tilt-head.
We probably carry at least six in the rig, and another six in the Dodge.
We carry probably a couple-three dozen full batteries ready to swap.
Each battery lasts probably six hours on a charge.
For example:
* the battery for the B&D 20v flashlight on my side of the bed was charged sometime during the spring, a half-year ago.
Confronted with the substantial investment, some folks may balk.
To this, we point to our nearly two decades full-time live-aboard:
* all the batteries hold a decent charge
* all the flashlights survived rain and drops on our slate floor...
... plus any other abuse we can imagine.
Another plus is the 20v batteries fit:
* our drills
* our saws
* our cut-off tool...
... and a host of other tools.
www.blackanddecker.com/product/bdcf20/20v-max-cordless-flashlight-battery-and-charger-not-included
b)
A big thumb 'UP' for patronizing your local-owned family-operated home-improvement center.

The luxury of new LEDs - the single most useful light I've used was a small fllod lamp on a lanyard around the neck, similar to an employee ID, where the light source is slightly hooded or angled down to keep glare passively out of the wearers' eyes - whichever way you want to go/work everything nearby is already mappable THEN the handheld spot flashlight to see who is sneaking around in the dark : )