Valley Fever?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katelyn

Reaction score
Being a Michigander I never knew about this Valley Fever stuff. The first I heard about it was in a post about washing dishes with sand in the desert. I looked it up on a gov link but thought I'd get some info from experienced boondockers :)

How common is it? My dog always has her nose to the ground, is it expensive to treat in dogs?

I was planning on boondocking in New Mexico/AZ in January with my minivan and a tent but now.....wondering if that is safe? Ok, I may be over reacting here...

Any suggestions/advice appreciated thanks :)

My dog got it so I have first-hand experience.

We've spent the last 6 winters in that area so it took him that long to get it. I have another friend who just found out his dog has it.

The prognisis is quite good. There are meds that kill the fungus Homers were $69 a month at Walmart. Most dogs need them for a year, but occassionally they need them for life.

Homer also had bone cancer, so that killed him before I could see the results of the Valley Fever. There is no connection between the two but the symptoms can appear to be the same. Usually the symptom is a cough, which Homer had, but sometimes it spreads to their bones giving them a pain and a limp.

I can't tell you what to do but I can say what I am going to do. I have a new dog, we are going to spend every winter of his life in that area.
Bob

Bob,

Is Homer the same black color dog you brought to RTR in Quartzsite last year? If so, I'm sad to know he's gone. He was a good dog. Homer liked my cooking too, for what little cooking I did while I was there.

So if I understand correctly, this is something that both humans and canines can get sick with? And is it easier to "catch" in the winter?

Having FM/CF and MCS this is something I obviously need to learn more about.:( !!!!

TejasThreads, yes, both humans and dogs get it. Almost always you breath it and it gets in your lungs and starts there. You really need to do your own research, Google is your friend. Here is a good starting place:
https://www.vfce.arizona.edu/

I can't say of it is easier to catch in the winter, I only go there in the winter so it is the only time I can catch it. Most people never know they have it, I could have it now. It can't be passed from human to dogs or person to person. Only by breathing the fungus spores.
Bob

I have lived in AZ since 1997, I have three kids, two parents, we all live in AZ (Tucson) and while I'm sure we have all had it at some point, nobody knew anything beyond a normal not feeling well spell. Statistically it would be almost impossible for us all to have not gotten it. It's most common in the first few inches of moist soil from what I understand. I play in the dirt a lot so I would bet an arm I've had it, it's far more common in landscapers, gardeners and things like that though if you've lived there a decade, chances are you've had it.

With dogs, I know many that have had it, it has more of an impact on them and can cause issues, I know a lot of people with a lot of dogs, not many with a severe case. My dog and my moms both had it, hers died of other issues, mine is dying or close to now but also due to unrelated issues.

I would just say to read up on it and make an informed choice but doing so will be like reading the side-effects section of an aspirin bottle.