New explorer introduction

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Q

Reaction score
Hello:
       First post introduction:

I'm a 62 year old retired paramedic traveling the country in my Class B and motorcycle. Home based in Arkansas and spend approx. 8-10 months on the road per year. Been a backpacker/motorcycle camper my entire life and just recently made the transition to a "steel tent". I will admit the deluxe Class B has me spoiled. It is perfect for my type of traveling but I would have preferred to have built it myself and somewhat more simply as I don't use most of the RV features anyway. For me, I believe, I have the perfect combination for extended adventure travel; a dual sport (on/off road) motorcycle (Suzuki DR650) for rough road exploring and running errands whilst boon-docking in my Class B. Great to run around the desert all day exploring on two wheels to return to my "mobile castle" with all the luxury of van living without having to unpack, set-up and repack. Yep, getting soft alright.....
     My favorite destinations are the South West and North West. Favorite camps are Lone Pine, Calif., Indian Death Cave in Az. and an unnamed horse camp in Washington. Enjoy taking themed adventures like "Follow the Oregon Trail" or "Stand in the Historical Battlefields of our Indian Wars". Recently retraced the steps of John Stienbeck's "Travels with Charlie" just for fun and to see if I could find the places he mentions. Call me an curious explorer with a purpose. Been to almost all of the RTRs excepting last year's. Planning of being in Quartzsite (Scandon Wash, most likely) and Ehrenberg this January/February.
     I have a unique skill set thanks to 22 years in the military. Speak Spanish and have traveled extensively in Mexico and Latin America. Experienced in emergency medicine, field sanitation, search and rescue, firearms, land navigation and some mechanical/electrical skills. I enjoy helping others understand how to thrive in the natural world without disturbing the flow. My likes are interesting people and places and I dislike discourteous people. My strength is the ability to adapt to new environments/cultures. Weakness is holding others to too high of a standard and being too fast to react to situations. I'm 62, 5'8" @ 150 lbs.,  hazel eyes, balding brown short hair and mustache. Keep in good physical shape. Don't drink/smoke. Open to any relationship. (see; just saved myself a post in "Dating" hahaha!)
       My goal is to everyday:
1) Do a good deed (anonymously if possible)
2) Meet somebody different (every one of us has an interesting story to tell)
3) Learn something useful.

Hope to meet y'all down the road!

Chuck

Welcome to the CRVL forums Chuck Q! Glad you decided to join the forum - looks like you will have a lot to add to the discussions! Maybe you should copy and paste into the dating section. ;-D

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hello Chuck Q and welcome! I'm sure you will find some kindred spirits on here and at gatherings. estion: how do you transport your scoot while on the road? Do you have a toy hauler RV or use a trailer?   ~crofter

Hi Chuck, well done introduction :)
You sound like a person that most everyone would enjoy meeting.

Hello Crofter:
        Since all I'm towing is a 650cc motorcycle, I use a small dirt bike trailer made in the '80s a "Tuff Unique" (have never seen another one and I've been looking!) that is absolutely perfect for the task. Very small and compact, easy-peasy to load/off load. Gives me the ability to pull over, unload the bike and explore interesting roads in a few minutes. Two downsides: Because the trailer is so short, I am unable to back it up without fishtailing. Solution is to simply unhook the trailer, back up the van and re-hook. I can easily move the loaded bike and trailer by hand wherever it needs to go. A small chore that I usually can avoid.
         In the past, I have used a Harbor Freight folding trailer. Yep, it worked and I could fit my rolled up Zodiac boat and motor on it but it was just too big and cheaply made for my type of travels, especially if I was taking only the motorcycle. I've also tried downsizing the moto to a Honda Trail 90 that could be carried on the back bumper of the Class B but this proved to be too much of a hassle to load/unload and the 90cc trail bike just didn't make the grade.
         Thanks for reminding me, I need to sell that Honda Trail 90.......

All the best!
Chuck

Attachments

• Bike trailer side view.jpg
    Bike trailer side view.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Motorcycle trailer rear view.jpg
    Motorcycle trailer rear view.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Motorcycle trailer sticker.jpg
    Motorcycle trailer sticker.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 10
Hi Maki2:
           Thanks for the welcome and kind words!
           The feeling is mutual as I like meeting new people, especially if they are "outside the box" a little...or a lot. One reason I like travel  in the SW, desert dwellers are my type of people, independent, self-reliant and enjoy nature by coexisting with her. Oh, and sometimes crotchety and want to be left alone...hahahha!

Happy Trails!
Chuck

Welcome Chuck!! Hope to see you around the SW sometime.
I might be interested in the Honda. I know little about them other than what I've read but need something to make checking out camp sites easier, etc. however eBikes are another option.

Mark

Chuck.... the photo.... is that you in blackface???

Cammalu said:
Chuck....  the photo....  is that you in blackface???
Nope, my brother working Burning Man. He doesn't want his handsome face plastered all over the internet. I'm the other guy!

You've seen military photos with the faces blacked out for the same reason, no?
Would have been beside the point if I blacked out my own face..........how's a guy supposed to get a date with his photo blacked out? hahaha!

I avoid posting pictures of folks without their permission. Like stealing their soul forever once posted on the net.

All the best to you!
Chuck

Chuck Q said:
Nope, my brother working Burning Man. He doesn't want his handsome face plastered all over the internet. I'm the other guy!

You've seen military photos with the faces blacked out for the same reason, no?
Would have been beside the point if I blacked out my own face..........how's a guy supposed to get a date with his photo blacked out? hahaha!

I avoid posting pictures of folks without their permission. Like stealing their soul forever once posted on the net.

All the best to you!
Chuck
Very easy to blur the details in a face in a photo using photo editing software. Makes their features look unrecognizable even when enlarged. Not quite as obvious as blacking their face out but it effectively gets the job done.