Vague Water Heater Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ice_maiden

Reaction score
Okay I have a question about RV water heaters. I don't expect you can tell me exactly how mine works but maybe someone has had a similar situation and can point me in a starting direction. I have looked online for a manual for my RV and can't fine one, so I am kind of left guessing.

I have a 1990 Prowler Regal 36ft 5th wheel. The only things I can see that may have been altered or changed is the refrigerator and that I have all of the connections and a gas tank for an onboard genny ...but no generator. Although that may have been an option that was not purchased. So now that you know this trailer was not grossly remodeled by previous owners here is what I know about my hot water heater set up.

A previous owner was nice enough to label all the switches (that weren't lights). Behind my stove I have a switch on the wall labeled Water heater. In the same area on the ceiling I have another switch labeled Water heater/microwave. On the vent-a-hood is my monitor panel for my tanks with yet another water heater switch.

I know for sure I have a gas hot water heater but it's possible that I have a dual gas/electric but that is unknown. I also know that my gas H2O heater lights from inside the trailer by flipping the switches in the right combination. I think the monitor panel switch lights the pilot for the gas H2O heater

For the last year I have been able to live in this trailer off and on for some extended periods but not permanently until this month. Until now, not knowing how to operate the H2O heater has not been an issue. I have a big pot and know how to heat water for dishes, bathing and any thing else I need. I am pretty adaptable, so the water heater issue was just no big deal to me.

That all changed yesterday...I was doing my dishes, and had my pot of hot water on the stove. My trailer has a swivel faucet not individual hot and cold. I needed more water and when I turned the faucet on, I swiveled it to the hot side. Ooops, I had hot water.

My water comes from my trailer tanks so I use the pump. This means I had been on the monitor tank switches also. The only switch I can be fairly sure where it was at, is the one in the ceiling, because I turn the switch to the water heater side when the microwave is not in use, simply to cut all power to the microwave. There is no neutral position on that switch.

The reason this is now an issue is that gas or electric ... I don't want my water heater running all of the time. I need to know when it is on/off. I had always assumed it to be off before. Now I'm not sure.

Has anyone seen a similar setup...any ideas?

If this was me (and you may need alittle help if you're not too handy with a toolbox), is I'd find where the electric heater element goes into the water tank. Using a simple electric circuit tester, I'd find out which wire going into the tank's heat element was the hot lead. I'd tap that line, and run a wire to where ever you want, and mount a small indicator light that lights up when the water heater's power is turned on. (probably near one of your switches.)
Seeing that you have 3 different switches marked for the water heater, they probably all need to be in the "ON" position for the heater unit to work.

actually...you could just have a friend hold the test light at the water tank element, and as you methodically flip all the switches back and forth, you'll learn which sequence they need to be flipped in order for it to work.

(I'll bet it was kind of a nice little suprise that you suddenly had hot water though!) :)

Alright Patrick46...now you have a reputation! Wise...errr..man! Yes, that's it *smile*! And nice too!

~~~waving @ ice_maiden

hippiechk said:
Alright Patrick46...now you have a reputation! Wise...errr..man! Yes, that's it *smile*! And nice too!

~~~waving @ ice_maiden

Why....Thankyou Ma'am! :D

....but wait'll I get warmed up, then watch me work!!! :p

:blush:

Test this is a test....switch on switch off....this switch on that switch off....all 3 switchs off.......oh no I just forgot what are these switches for...microwave or next door neighbors sprinklers:huh::huh:
hey can anyone please tell me why my signature is off?
Sorry I got side tracked....the ideas previously given sound great good luck

Patrick and James .... Thanks.... Next time someone shows up here I will get them to help me find out what is going on. Although that may be awhile since the nearest friend/relative lives 100 miles away. I am pretty mechanically inclined... If this was a house H2O water heater, I'd have no problem. But the compact nature of the RV one is a bit daunting to me....I am not sure I can get to everything without dismanteling part of the trailer....which I'm not ready to do.

A few months ago my son looked at it and seemed to think it was only gas. But still could have been wrong. He is the one that figured out that you could light the pilot from the switch on the monitor panel. I may have hit that switch at some point when I was on the monitor panel. I leave for a month, in four days. I will cut the gas off first and see if that cures it...if not then for now I must try papa's solution and flip the switches till I turn off the neighbors sprinkler :D

on a side note... yes Patrick, it was very nice to have hot running water...never let it be said that I passed up an opportunity for a simple pleasure....one of the first things I did was take a shower and wash my hair.. a 5 gal bucket and 32 oz cup will get the job done, but ahhhh a shower is nice. :p

Papa I see your signature...

~~~waving back at @ hippychk