USED VEHICLE RADIATOR REPLACED

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XFILE36

Reaction score
So, I may be purchasing a used Ford van.  The dealer says he just replaced the radiator, spark plugs, thermostat, wires, tune-up.  There are a couple people telling me to start a new thread for advice.  (Especially about the radiator.)  I will be flying to TX to get it.  any feedback is appreciated.  Tomorrow the mechanic will inspect it.

What advice are you asking for? What year and model of van?

Regarding the replacement of the radiator. Could it be a red flag or something I should look further into? Anything I should tell the mechanic?

How old is this van? He should look for signs of leaking or boogered transmission lines that connect to the radiator. Depending on the vehicle, the lines should be all metal and not rubber where it connects to the rad. Mechanics in a hurry can mess up those connectors.

He should look for signs of previous engine overheating.

The dealer has a clean BBB and Yelp. He was forthcoming about the tune up and radiator. Life is a crapshoot, but it's a nice looking Van.

351s are good motors but depends. How many miles? On one that old I'd want to do a compression test but that's a bit much to ask a mechanic to do. If he's a mechanic that's been around, he'll know what to look for.

Hope it's a 94? or 95? or newer so the AC doesn't require R12 freon. Edit: Ford switched to R134a in '94.

Sounds good. Just need the inspection and you'll be set.

I sure hope it's the one!

The pictures I saw, it is a nice looking van...move-in ready, as far as the interior.

Some older GMs tended to have cooling issues, and maybe the radiator was just leaking or not cooling well. Tell the mechanic to look at the coolant, make sure its new and not dark brown or oily. That would be a definite red-flag on a new radiator and coolant.

I sure hope it works out well for you!

tx2sturgis said:
The pictures I saw, it is a nice looking van...move-in ready, as far as the interior.

Some older GMs tended to have cooling issues, and maybe the radiator was just leaking or not cooling well. Tell the mechanic to look at the coolant, make sure its new and not dark brown or oily. That would be a definite red-flag on a new radiator and coolant.

I sure hope it works out well for you!

its a Ford.  Is it considered a motorhome?

xfile, Class B. The dealer should let you know the classification of the title for insurance (to be safe).

a radiator being replaced is a good thing. It's one less problem for you.

to see if there are real issues due to cooling system on top of what sturgis said, you look inside the radiator while the engine is running but still cool and see if there are any air bubbles. If there are don't buy it.

I replaced the radiator on my last two vehicles because they were leaking--neither one ever over-heated or got above half way on the gauge.

I went through 4 copper/brass radiators in 7 years. The copper fins disintegrated into a paper like consistency from my salt air environment. I switched to all aluminum in 2011. That radiator ( Silla) started seeping from where the tubes meet the bottom tank in 9 months. BUt one bars leak coolant system tab( gingerroot) stopped that leak and I still have the same radiator 6 years later. The salt has not hurt this one.

I don't feel a new radiator is necessarily a sign that there was an overheating issue. Only one of my failed copper brass radiators started leaking. I had just noticed the missing fins after using a pressure washer from a distance on the front of the vehicle, then using a stick to wipe out the copper rows.

Lots of radiators today use Aluminum fins and tubes, but plastic tanks. the plastic is good for 4 to 7 years or so depending on who you want to believe. I wanted all aluminum.

SternWake said:
I don't feel a new radiator is necessarily a sign that there was an overheating issue.

No, not necessarily but if a gauge is bad or the owner never checks or notices anything and he's chugging up mountains, it can happen.

bardo said:
to see if there are real issues due to cooling system on top of what sturgis said, you look inside the radiator while the engine is running but still cool and see if there are any air bubbles. If there are don't buy it.

why are bubbles bad?

SternWake said:
I went through 4 copper/brass radiators in 7 years.  The copper fins disintegrated into a paper like consistency from my salt air environment.  I switched to all aluminum in 2011. That radiator ( Silla) started seeping from where the tubes meet the bottom tank in 9 months.  BUt one bars leak coolant system tab( gingerroot) stopped that leak and I still have the same radiator 6 years later.  The salt has not hurt this one.

are you using voice recognition software?  gingerroot in your radiator?