UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
your taking Lenny's response out of context. he was replying to the big outfits that cater to RV's that provide insurance. at least that's how I interpreted it. highdesertranger

brucedevauxone said:
YEA! what RogerD said- i had the same experience with my UPS store address!!!
don't listen to UNINFORMED Nay-Sayers
that was my experience before a user here asked "can an ins co deny ur claim based on a mail drop address- EVEN THOUGH they have been accepting your payment"

this is a great point- and from now on I PERSONALLY would not insure with ANY mail drop address unless i have communication IN WRITING stating that address is LEGIT 

we all know ins co will use any excuse to deny and the more $$$s the harder they will look!!!

highdesertranger said:
I am wondering if anybody using these mail forwarders as their residence has a Real ID.  or are you just the last of the carry overs.
I know the DMV in Arizona told me flat out that I needed a real residential address and if I tried to use non residential address that it might work at first but a soon as they found out they would suspend my license without notifying me first.   this was for a Real ID they didn't give me a choice it was Real ID or nothing.  this seems strange to me because someone else went to a different DMV about the same time and they gave them a regular drivers license.
and yes I know it's not called the DMV in Arizona but something else,  that I can't recall at the moment. highdesertranger
YES until about 2 yrs ago when i retired i used a UPS store in Mississippi for everything (of course i always used Apt# NOT Box# [i know gray area])- but it worked for everything= drv lic & registration & insurance & voter & banks & employer & etc. etc. etc.- i even had a few speeding tickets one of those i appeared in court-
BUT reading all these comments i sure am glad i am now retired with a standard address where i park my car and lay my head!!! no more GREY BS!

Well, like I said, I hope y'all have a Plan B. You'll need it.

EDIT: PS--trying to read half-literate screeds in ALL CAPS makes my head hurt.

highdesertranger said:
I know the DMV in Arizona told me flat out that I needed a real residential address and if I tried to use non residential address that it might work at first but a soon as they found out they would suspend my license without notifying me first.   this was for a Real ID they didn't give me a choice it was Real ID or nothing.  this seems strange to me because someone else went to a different DMV about the same time and they gave them a regular drivers license.

Pennsylvania did not give me any choice. (Even worse, PA made me go through all the Real ID Act requirements--then didn't give me a Real ID, because they didn't have any available. So when I tried to visit the CDC Museum, they wouldn't let me in because I didn't have the little star on my license.  (sigh) Apparently my PA license will be Real ID when they make me renew in 2019.

Under the Act, all states have the option to offer non-Real ID, but I've not heard of many that actually do. Apparently not many states want to bother with all the extra hassle of it--and besides it's likely I think that in the future the Federales will remove that option anyway.

brucedevauxone said:
 "Real ID Act" (whatever that is?) 

Well, there's no point in listening to somebody who quite clearly knows nothing about the topic. (shrug)

Everyone has to be Real ID compliant by 2020. So if you don't know what it is now, you will in a short while.......

Keep in mind whether a given address is accepted or not is up to each company / agency you deal with.

Completely separate from DMV / Real ID, wish is just one single example.

Just because some company / bank / insurance etc accepts it this year does not mean they will next year, nor that a different outfit will tomorrow.

Those who seek a long-term universal solution should use a true residential S&B home address, preferably owned by a stable trusted friend or family.

No matter what a commercial service may promise, remember it's not up to them. If the local government has a court affidavit supported procedure like some Florida counties do for those living on boats, then great, further information on those would be appreciated.

None of this is to imply any problems "lying", that issue is irrelevant.

The point afaic is to make my digital footprint look as much as possible like a normal S&B dwelling wage slave citizen.

No arguing trying to make the bureaucracy care about logic and real life, feed the forms what they're used to, stamp stamp, ere's the check now on your way.

And no, insurance won't refuse to pay, unless your use of the fake address was material to you actually having fraudulent intent.

lenny flank said:
Under the Act, all states have the option to offer non-Real ID, but I've not heard of many that actually do.
No, last I checked 18 states did.

And a permanent option, just means use your passport.

John61CT said:
No, last I checked 18 states did.

And a permanent option, just means use your passport.

So less than half offer an option. I am curious if they are clustered in the low-population states out west.

Alas, most Americans don't have a passport. And most Americans don't want to need a passport to fly to Miami to visit grandma.

Then they will need to get Real ID, or stay on land.

Personally I don't know anyone that I'm aware who has let their passport lapse, and we have so many family members overseas, need to be ready to go drop of a hat if something happens. All three crops of my spawn were born out of the US too.

I found an RV park in Florida and they offer mail forwarding.

I can establish an address at the park and use it for everything that is supposed to be a physical mailing address and not just a mailbox.

I will keep my mailbox for buying stuff online and where the mail gets forwarded to.

Seems like a solution.

If the RV park uses the same street address for their forwarding business as they do for providing a domicile address

to the extent lots of people use it,

that may trigger a blacklisting in future.

Algorithms will end up one day flagging any address used by a number of people much larger than the location would reasonably accommodate, without a human needing to check satellite or streetview pics.

Of course that may be a few years away, so this is just a caution for those seeking something foolproof and relatively permanent.

They actually give you 2 mailing addresses.

One that is just a mailbox and another if you need to use a physical address.and is the actual RV park address.

Fantastic, glad to see they understand that's the way to go.

Florida is also the state I first heard about the court affidavit process to be domiciled there with no fixed address, the government assigns you the address to use for DMV.

Anyone gets more details on that would be worth its own thread.

RogerD said:
They actually give you 2 mailing addresses.

One that is just a mailbox and another if you need to use a physical address.and is the actual RV park address.

Roger, the FL RV park I'm at now will not let you use it for a physical addy for the DMV even if you are here full time, and they have a sign posted that says anyone here is here as an itinerant.  I thought it was odd that they had to have a sign like that.  People can get mail here.  I don't because I have a home base and take my mail there.  But this has caused some who have no other home some headaches.  Can you share the name of the place to me via PM or on here so I can share that with them?  It might be helpful...at least until they change things again.

Different motivation there.

Longer term residents start to accumulate rights under state laws designed to protect tenants from unfair eviction by landlords.