UPS Store for Address and Mail receiving...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenlaxphoto

Reaction score
Where I am stealth parking (mostly at a Walmart) in Madison, WI the local UPS Store is charging me $120/yr for the basic service of a legit street address and mail receiving. This is competitive with the virtual mailbox services.  $10 month and a no-hassle in-store set-up. fyi
KL
August, 2018

well according to the federal government a UPS address is not a legitimate address for your residence. it might work now but sooner or later they will catch on. now for your mailing address it's perfectly fine. highdesertranger

What are you supposed to use if you don't have an actual address/residence?

I sold my house about 6 weeks and have also just been using a UPS store address.

You say that they (Gov) will sooner or later catch on ... and do what?

Thanks in advance.

You'll need an actual residential street address. Most people use a friend or relative's address.

It's not just the Govt---insurance companies have databases with all the known mail-forwarders, and won't write a policy for those addresses.

I already had my insurance.

I did a change of address through the post office and my insurance company found out about it somehow and sent me an email wanting me to confirm my address change.

I confirmed it and now they are using my UPS store address.

Can an insurance company deny you coverage (even though taking policy coverage money) after you give them a false domicile address?

I'd have a Plan B when you go to renew.

As soon as they find out it's a maildrop, they'll stop your policy.

Both Geico and Progressive will insure full time RV's without a fixed address ie only a mailbox for address. As to the government it gets more complex. Some states are better than others. Other states you really need to at least pretend to have or temporarily have a real fixed address. With Federal it depends on what you are doing, voting and benefits might be hard, paying taxes should be easy

They'll insure RVs, not a van.

The Real ID Act is federal.

RogerD said:
What are you supposed to use if you don't have an actual address/residence?
I sold my house about 6 weeks and have also just been using a UPS store address.
You say that they (Gov) will sooner or later catch on ... and do what? Thanks in advance.

i started using a UPS store address many years ago and never had any issues- of course i never gave the Gov any reason to come looking for me!
i used it for drv lic & car registration & IRS & CDL driver home base & etc. etc. etc.
caution NEVER list your box num as "BOX"- i always used Apt#- especially after 9-11 DMVs have tightened the noose 

of course it is not a legal RESIDENCE- bc the Gov wants an address where they can come to arrest you (if needed)- the place you lay your head to sleep! even using a family members address is illegal (if you do NOT LIVE there)- and yes the Gov (someday) may crack down on that too-
EXACTLY what can a RVer, OTR driver, or simply a beachcomber do?

i would not get excited about any NAY-SAYERs- some people MUST find fault-

Alas, the Real ID Act is not some conspiracy theory by naysayers.

You are in for an unpleasant surprise.

I'm just going to continue using and see what happens.

Worst case I could change it to my kids' address, which is like 2 miles from my mailbox.

lenny flank said:
You'll need an actual residential street address. Most people use a friend or relative's address.
It's not just the Govt---insurance companies have databases with all the known mail-forwarders, and won't write a policy for those addresses.
ur 100% correct- OF COURSE insurance companies REQUIRE the physical address where you park the vehicle- i am not sure if they care much about where u lay ur head- either way the UPS store worked for me many years!
ur suggestion of friends or family is certainly not any more LEGIT (if u dont live there)
as the RV community gets larger maybe the Gov will pass regulations to cover this gap- but after 9-11 i doubt the Gov will loosen their grip over our lives!
personally= as an OTR driver for many years living in my truck (now retired)- i had a personal van insured all those years without a hitch
MOST of the residency requirements are legislated by each state- that is why it greatly depends if ur willing to relocate ur residency to a more friendly state

lenny flank said:
too many users here make comments without any LEGIT knowledge of the laws or AT LEAST any personal experience with the statements they make! 

most of what this type of person says is HEAR-SAY from a friend or WORST a friend of a friend etc. etc. etc.
that is why caution is advised and RESEARCH is REQUIRED!

this brings to mind the request that some contestants on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" ask the audience "if u do not know do not comment"
COMMUNICATION is EVERYTHING except when it is uninformed communication!!!

RogerD said:
I already had my insurance.
I did a change of address through the post office and my insurance company found out about it somehow and sent me an email wanting me to confirm my address change.
I confirmed it and now they are using my UPS store address.

YEA! what RogerD said- i had the same experience with my UPS store address!!!
don't listen to UNINFORMED Nay-Sayers

RVTravel said:
Can an insurance company deny you coverage (even though taking policy coverage money) after you give them a false domicile address?
WOW! great ?- for anyone using a mail-forwarding address (i was one for many years)- this issue for most of us never came up because i never had any insurance claim! BUT it is well known any ins co can deny any claim if they can prove the coverage was illegally obtained!

example: if you have a claim with serious bodily and property damage adding up to serious money we all know the ins co will be looking for ANY EXCUSE to deny!

in light of that loop-hole i would never (i did back then BUT not now) take an ins policy without a clear definition of a LEGAL domicile address!!!
in fact it would be best to have documented communication (such as Email or USPS) with the intended ins co- not just a phone call and not with an agent- rather with the ins co themselves!

lenny flank said:
Alas, the Real ID Act is not some conspiracy theory by naysayers.
You are in for an unpleasant surprise.

lenny flank- u may be right- although i think anyone living on the road full time (like RVers, OTR drivers, etc.) would have a legitimate LEGAL ARGUMENT in court to justify why they do not own or rent a standard residence- 

of course i doubt the "Real ID Act" (whatever that is?) would ever come into play for a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN- like i said before i never gave the Gov any reason to come looking for me!

on that note i am sure there are SOME criminals using false residency information to hide from the law- that is the very reason for ridiculous legislation like the "Real ID Act" (if in fact it is real or just another uninformed nay-sayers imagination)

i can think of one other CRIMINAL that would have use for false residency information and that is VOTER-FRAUD which is (i believe) a real issue in the USA

i should make one disclaimer after the ? by a user about "can an ins co deny a claim based of false information given when obtaining ins"
that (i think) is a real issue and anyone using mail-drop address for their ins would be SMART to get that clarified with the ins co!
i think many of us including me never thought about that loop-hole!
even Bob- i never watched his CRVL YT video on addresses but i am guessing he did not bring that issue up SIMPLY because he never thought about it!

i am certain everyone using mail drops would like to hear from someone with personal experience on this loophole- surely someone had a serious accident where their ins co denied responsibility on the bases of false residency 
because at this point we are all just guessing!!!

I am wondering if anybody using these mail forwarders as their residence has a Real ID. or are you just the last of the carry overs.

I know the DMV in Arizona told me flat out that I needed a real residential address and if I tried to use non residential address that it might work at first but a soon as they found out they would suspend my license without notifying me first. this was for a Real ID they didn't give me a choice it was Real ID or nothing. this seems strange to me because someone else went to a different DMV about the same time and they gave them a regular drivers license.

and yes I know it's not called the DMV in Arizona but something else, that I can't recall at the moment.

highdesertranger

lenny flank said:
They'll insure RVs, not a van.
The Real ID Act is federal.

well i had a van and the ins co did insure it with my UPS store address
ur statement "They'll insure RVs, not a van." would be more legit if you really had tried to insure a van and the ins co denied you based on a UPS store address!!!
as it stands ur just another uninformed user