On Residency/Address: Licenses, Weapons, Insurance etc

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Van-Tramp said:
... but I will file my Fed-taxes as a SD resident next year (state taxes already have to be filed based on the state you EARN the taxes, not where you live)...

That is not true. You must claim all monies earned in any state on your home states income tax form (unless your home state does not have income tax).You deduct the monies paid into the earning state off of your home states income tax. You file/pay income tax on monies earned in each of your earning states as a non-resident. We have lived in NC and David worked in GA while I worked in NC (1982 - 1990). We had to claim all monies earned in GA on our NC state income tax. This is what we had to do...

File GA state income tax.
File NC state income tax and claim the amount paid into GA.
Make up the difference since GA state income taxes were lower than NC state income taxes. (I had the max withheld on my taxes since GA was quite a bit lower than NC at the time)

While we were TN residents and I worked in NC, I paid NC taxes as a non-resident (double tax rate over resident). Since TN does not have income taxes, I only filed with NC.

When we were in TX, I worked but TX does not have income tax. I did have to claim those monies on NM income tax when we moved to NM because it was less than 6 months employment.

If you are earning money, no matter where, and you have an income collecting state as your domicile, then you had better be claiming those monies on your domicile's income tax.

If you are earning money in an income collecting state and you domicile in a no oncome tax state, you need to file with the income collecting state you are earning in. If low enough, you just might get it back.. maybe but don't count on it. I never have.