$1,885 check in the mail. (fun with scammers)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
My daughter is looking for a job, and answered an ad on Craigslist for a "Front Desk/Night Audit position.  Long story short, she was hired off the internet.  I found out about this today when asked asked about depositing a check in my local bank account. This is the response letter.

Hello ,

Thanks for your swift response.The vacancy at hand is the position of a Receptionist  / Administrative / Personal  Assistant and what it entails is explained as follow.

]Firstly, I am Dr Patrick Scott, a consultant neurosurgeon with a lot of elitist patronage,thereby making me a very busy Person. if you are chosen for the vacancy, You will be in charge of my mails(pick ups and drop offs), and also running of errands. It is a very flexible job but needs you to be highly efficient and consistent. You will get an advance payment of your first week job, and I will also have my mails/packages forwarded to a nearby post office where you can pick them from at your convenience.

]All errands will be in your city/town[/b] so it is not a must you have a car, but it is an added advantage if you do. You will be given detailed instructions on every mail received. The content of the packages will be business and personal mails. All expenses and taxes will be covered by me.

Your work is 3 days a week(4 hours daily). You will be doing this for 3 weeks until I get back to town so we can formally meet and discuss about the possibility of making this arrangement long term if I'm satisfied with your performance.

I will pay you $395 weekly plus some other benefits depending on how impressed I am.

If you accept this offer please reply with the following details  

Full Name.....
Physical/Residential contact address,
Apt #,
City..
Zip Code....
Cell number
Home number
Current Occupation and Available hours.
Email Address..

I will be needing your service almost immediately. Once the information above is received,  your first assignment and your first week payment will be mailed to you together with funds to run some errands.

Kindly get back soon and have a nice day.

Regards,
Dr Patrick Scott

Then this~~~

Thanks for getting back swiftly. Expediency is one of the major qualities I am looking for in my Personal Assistant. Presently, I'm  in Montreal on a job and will be traveling to Quebec next to attend to my patients
[/font][/size][/color]

You have been approved of the position and will start working this week. A payment will be mailed to you which should deliver within the next 1 - 3 business days. After receiving the payment, you will have it processed at your bank. The payment include your weekly pay and the rest will be used to carry out your first assignment.

After checking my files, your first assignment will be running  errands to few orphanage homes which i do twice every month. You will be purchasing some stuffs for the kids at the orphanage home at any Closest Walmart stores to you and will have them mailed to the respective orphanage address which will be provided to you later.

I will email you more information about the check delivery and will use this week to test your efficiency.

Kindly email me back the minutes you got this message to confirm you received my email and understand the contents .

Best Regards,

Dr Patrick Scott

The check $1885.00 is drawn off of a New York bank, and was mailed from North Carolina.  It came in a Priority Mail envelope with no accompanying paperwork.  The job is in Columbia MO.   I put the obvious red flags in bold.  Misspelled words, random words capitalized, errors in word usage... Plus THREE separate and unique email addresses, (gmail, aol, yahoo) all utilizing a different personal name.   :dodgy:

In examining the check, it looked real, and included watermarks and holograms.  The final red flag was the check number at the top did not match the routing / bank / check number at the bottom.   :idea:
Since tomorrow is a holiday, it will be presented to the USPS on Tuesday.  This is obvious fraud utilizing the US Mail.

I also did a search of the Email addresses, and found a number of similar CL ads in various cities.  They have been reported.  

]Fun with scammers~~~   :p

What is the end game with this scam?  They get you to buy stuff and deliver it somewhere and later the check bounces?

Dang,I was going to offer you a great opportunity with a bank in India.However,if this is going to be your attitude,you can forget it.

Well~~~  Today I sent a picture of the check and envelope to the multi~national company that it is supposedly from.  

They are extremely interested in someone writing unauthorized checks on their account.   :D

This is getting better.

IGBT said:
What is the end game with this scam?  They get you to buy stuff and deliver it somewhere and later the check bounces?

I am thinking that they will get the items purchased from WM, and return them for cash back.  After shipping, $1,000 pure profit.

GotSmart said:
I am thinking that they will get the items purchased from WM, and return them for cash back.  After shipping, $1,000 pure profit.

Can they return them without the receipt?  I figured they were just going to sell them for about 50% of what they were worth.

gsfish said:
I'm guessing that the USPS won't be interested. Hope I'm wrong.

I think this might interest the Postal Inspectors.  I was surprised they sent the "check" by mail.  If they had sent it via FedEx, the post office would have no jurisdiction.  I'm thinking this shows that the perps are angling for a Dumb Crook Award.

Bob Dickerson said:
Dang,I was going to offer you a great opportunity with a bank in India.However,if this is going to be your attitude,you can forget it.

OOOOH!!

India!  Lots of potential!

Please please please!

OH NOO!!!

A 5 year old girl is sick, and needs $896.00  sent through Walmart to 

Zion Lewis
Houston
TX

Now there are 15 WM in Houston.  This should be good for a few days. 

Especially since my daughter said her phone was being repaired.   :D

But! He's of "elitist patronage" :dodgy: