Unused propane bottle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aMUSEd

Reaction score
I've got a Coleman Classic 2 burner stove & 16oz bottles of propane. Once I attach the bottle to the stove, can I remove and store it after cooking? Does it "re-seal"?
Is there anything else I should know about using this stove? How long should I expect a bottle to last?
Thank you so much?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Yes, they are meant to unhooked from the stove. 99.9% of the time they do not leak. You can listen and smell for a leak.

Save the little plastic cap and reinstall when you disconnect. This will not stop a leak but will protect the threads. They make brass caps with rubber seals that are suppose to seal and protect the threads. Like these,

https://www.amazon.com/Pieces-Refil...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I cannot say if they will stop a leak. But I do use them.

Highdesertranger

When you remove the bottle from the stove regulator fitting, spin it off quickly, you wont lose as much gas that way.

As far as cooking time...well it depends on how long and how often you are cooking. You might get several smaller meals over a week to ten days or so, or you might go thru a bottle in an afternoon trying to roast a big meal in a big dutch oven on the stove. 

There are calculators to figure out the BTU of the stove and the rate you will consume the fuel. Don't worry about all that, just buy a few extras and have a full one ready to screw on when needed. After awhile you will be able to feel when a bottle is nearly empty.

I attach and disconnect mine with every use. I just need to make sure I have it threaded properly when I screw it in.

save money and waste. get a connector that attaches, (very easy to find and buy) like a 5lb or 12 lb etc size propane tank to your stove.

way more cost saving. Plus you don't have to worry, you just 'refill' your bigger propane bottle anywhere, anytime, or do a 'propane tank trade' at a ton of places, but of course can keep a 'few little bottles' for 'extra on hand' if you can't refill the big guy.

all other info on the board is great too :)

RoamerRV428 said:
save money and waste.  get a connector that attaches, (very easy to find and buy) like a 5lb or 12 lb etc size propane tank to your stove.

way more cost saving. ...

Sometimes it's a matter of space. I can distribute a bunch of green bottles around to various nooks a crannies in the van.

very true and I almost said that but a 12 lb propane is way easier to use longer term than squirreling away 12 higher priced little bottles to me but yes, room is an issue I so agree.

When I used small bottles I kept them in a plastic tote and always smelled propane when I opened the tote. Tested everything with soapy water didn't find any leaks but it bothered me enough I built an open air rack (drilled holes in the bottom of the tote) that would hold them outside, Later on I mounted 20lb tanks outside in their place and had no problems.

highdesertranger said:
I cannot say if they will stop a leak.  But I do use them.

i don't think they leak. We've driven great distances with several "opened" bottles
at a time in a station wagon and never smelled anything.

bullfrog said:
When I used small bottles I kept them in a plastic tote and always smelled propane when I opened the tote. Tested everything with soapy water didn't find any leaks but it bothered me enough I built an open air rack (drilled holes in the bottom of the tote) that would hold them outside, Later on I mounted 20lb tanks outside in their place and had no problems.
i never smelled anything...

^^^ I didn't either until I happened to store them in a closed container. I sort of suspect the over pressure valve sometimes lets off or leaks small amounts of propane as I do live in the warm desert. I have stored refillable bottles with no problems but not so with the throwaways , at any rate didn't like smelling propane inside the tote inside my living space. I have been blown through a wall by a gas explosion as well as caused a flash fire so I'm a little paranoid I guess. You sure your sense of smell is working? Have you been tested for Covid? LOL!!!