Coleman single burner adapter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
I bought a Coleman single burner butane stove and Coleman 16 oz propane bottles. Do I need an adapter for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Walmart sells an adapter. I’m set for camp already, so I’ll grab it tomorrow

Bro did you buy this butane stove?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Tabletop-Butane-Gas-Camping-Stove-1-Burner-Gray/34761205

Because to my knowledge there isnt an adapter to run these off of propane. I have a different model but they're all pretty much the same exact design. I have to use butane fuel with it.

But I do have a micro backpacker butane stove that can be adapted to propane because it has a threaded connection. 

The flat top butane stoves like the one I linked connect differently and use these types of butane cartridges.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-8-Ounce-Butane-Canister-for-Portable-Appliances-Stoves/47501190

That is the exact stove I bought.

Yeah I’ve been to five places today and no adapters. Really sucks, I still canted cook.

Does the 8 oz butane canisters last long?

In my experience they do last quite a while. I usually use mine on very low heat with a small frying pan. The Tfal copper clad bottom pan I got from my aunt's house after she passed was GREAT on it. It heated up quickly and retained the heat very well.

Cast iron works well on them for longer cooking but for say a grilled cheese use something smaller and thinner with the heat rings on the bottom. Cast iron takes a while to heat up.

The way I cook I would say probably 2 hours maybe 3 per canister. On high probably an hour or less. They are great stoves especially to control the heat. I used mine a lot with a 7 quart pressure cooker making roasts. It would take about 40 minutes maybe 50. I would start out on medium high and then when it was up to pressure low. I could do that probably twice on a canister and also make quick things like grilled cheese and ramen etc maybe 6 times.

They do make models you can find on amazon that use butane or propane. But I dont think the propane attachment that go with those work on other models.

The absolute best place to find cheap cartridges for these stoves is at an Asian market. I have a Super H mart near me and they sell them in 4 packs for roughly 5 bucks if I remember correctly.

If you have a piggly wiggly grocery store near you I'd check there as well. I found them at one in downtown Atlanta years ago. They were selling them in 4 packs for like 3 dollars. I didnt have one of these stoves then or I would have bought all they had.

Keep It Simple.......You have a Butane stove.....just buy the Butane fuel........then you can cook !

As a Newbie I can see you could use a helping hand......I'm surprised you left "home" without preparing more....

Do you need the rear seat removed? That might free up some space.....maybe add a bed platform with storage under.....OR ????
I'm down in Quartzsite (two hours south) and can help you with your Forte in Pirate Camp if you want....

You should also check out the HOWA Virtual Campfires on MeetUP/ZOOM......a great way for nomads to connect

HOWA uses FaceBook as a platform........Here's the Link

https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/social-media-2/

I returned the burner to Walmart. I’m ordering one from online that I can use with propane and butane.

Unfortunately I couldn’t get everything I needed before I left home. I was in a bad situation and I needed to get out of it as quickly as possible.

I knew there would be some difficulties, but it’s nothing I can’t work around.

I’ve been attend the virtual campfires for the past few days, they’ve been super helpful.

Removing the back seat sounds like a great idea. I’ll be getting a storage unit and I could store the seat in there.

Thanks!

If you ordered a Gas One butane stove with the propane adapter hose, beware. I've had two of the regulators that are part of the hose fail. One developed a small leak and on the other the plastic part of the regulator blew off with a large bang and a big leak. Best to only use it outdoors and remove the bottle before stowing it away.

hugemoth said:
If you ordered a Gas One butane stove with the propane adapter hose, beware. I've had two of the regulators that are part of the hose fail. One developed a small leak and on the other the plastic part of the regulator blew off with a large bang and a big leak. Best to only use it outdoors and remove the bottle before stowing it away.

I was thinking of getting this one

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07CMQ9PMX/ref=ox_sc_act_image_4?smid=AWS2H803CZEHU&psc=1

Looks like the same unit that gave me trouble but with a different name, so who knows. Just be careful. Aside from the leaking hoses the stove itself works great. Runs quiet, lots of BTUs, light weight, supports big pots, etc..

The backpacker stoves are great. Personally I dont like the ones like you linked. I have one similar to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Outry-Foldable-Ignition-Portable-Backpacking/dp/B07M7CB2BP

It is a lot sturdier IMO with the built in legs. The other ones sit on top of the fuel bottle, then your pot sits on top of that. Way too top heavy.

There are a myriad of adapters available for them as well. I even have an adapter to use flat top stove butane cartridges with mine. It by default uses other butane-propane blend canisters available in most sporting goods stores. There are propane adapters as well.

I have a splitter as well and a lantern so I can run both at once on one bottle. The lantern is pretty dim. About like a candle but sips fuel. The stove itself is a hell of a stove. You can turn it up very high. I think mine claimed to be 18,000 BTUs and I dont doubt it.

It outperforms the cartridge stove on high for sure and my cartridge stove is 12k btus I believe.

Very interesting stove, I had not seen those before. Does it scorch wood if you set it on wood?

It shouldn't I wouldn't think. If you had it on full blast quite possibly. Not just from radiant heat, but on full blast it makes a flame probably 6 inches high and sounds like a rocket engine. So if the pan was in the way of the jet it might reflect the heat back down to the wood.

I only used mine on very low on grass, a wooden laminated TV stand, and once or twice on a piece of carpet and I never had any scorching etc.