Trailer Balls

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodineahrens

Reaction score
Do travel trailers in the 17 to 20 foot range use a common ball size? I have been dragging my open motorbike trailer around on a 2" by 1" shank for years.
 Checking out options on 2-5/16" with 1" shank today at Northern Tool.

17-20 usually have a 2". however most weight distribution hitches use a 2 5/16". in fact I think they all do. it depends more on the trailer weight rating as to the ball size. overkill is always better in my book.

the shank has more to do with the hole in your ball mount. as a note the shank MUST match the hole.

highdesertranger

Some of the 2" hitch balls come with a smaller diameter threaded shank and a spacer, or collar, that fills the space when used with a larger hole in a bumper or receiver stinger.

You are approaching it backwards, you dont shop gfor the ball before you get the trailer. 

That is because on many trailers the socket that holds the ball is welded on so you have no choice but to use the size of ball it was made for.

You can always get a new ball mount with a shank and ball to match the trailer you purchase. Not a big deal, they are sold in many different stores all over the country.

Latest posts