Tow package

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mothercoder

Reaction score
Stupid question:  I bought a used Suburban with a factory tow package.  I don't have my TT yet.  How can I find out if the wiring works and where can I get a ball hitch installed?

This is what my husband just purchased and learned that although he paid to have certain elements, the dealer failed to wire it correctly. The dealer did fix the issue. These are available through Amazon and I am sure other retailers.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/145067993

Not sure what you mean by "ball hitch" though.

Snow Gypsy said:
This is what my husband just purchased and learned that although he paid to have certain elements, the dealer failed to wire it correctly.  The dealer did fix the issue.  These are available through Amazon and I am sure other retailers.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/145067993

Not sure what you mean by "ball hitch" though.

Thanks!  I didn't know those existed. 

I'm talking about the ball mount.  I have the receiver hitch but no ball.  I've seen them to purchase but wondering about installing.  https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpow..._1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1488819869&sr=1-1

You won't need that installed, it simply slips into place and I think bolts down or something like that. We always just took ours off when not using the TT for awhile. I would consider waiting until I decided on the trailer though. They have different lengths and different size balls. Wal-Mart and "farm" type stores often have them on hand, even some of the auto parts stores.

That just slips into place with a clevis pin and clip

More information on tester for your electrical connections from Walmart that wife suggested. The 12v indicator on the tester should always be on. All the other LED's indicate as being actuated by the driver. There are videos to show actual testing on you tube.

Don't buy a ball mount until you know how high the ball needs to be.  The drop or rise of the mount needs to put the trailer tongue level or a tiny bit down towards the ball when you are traveling down the road.  Having the tongue sloping up towards the ball is an invitation to trailer sway.

Even though the Suburban came with a "factory tow package", it may not have a brake controller.  If your trailer will have brakes (and I think it should) you will need to add one in order for your brakes to work.  Here's some info:

There's a lot more to it for a travel trailer than just buying a ball mount and affixing the proper sized ball.

And "tow package" means different things to different manufacturers. To some, it means adding a receiver hitch... to others a hitch and wiring, and to others yet, a larger radiator, oil cooler, transmission cooler, heavier suspension, towing mirrors, different instrumentation (generally at least a transmission temperature gauge) and the hitch and wiring. Ford now even includes their version of the Prodigy 3 brake controller in the dash.

You'll need to know the dead weight carrying capacity of your hitch, and the tongue weight (as loaded) of the TT. Generally a Class III hitch is rated for 500 lbs dead load, and 1,000 lbs with a weight distributing hitch. If your tongue weight is less than 500lbs, you don't need weight distribution necessarily, but you'll need a ball mount that is of the proper configuration that your trailer will be towed level when its on the hitch ball and loaded. That may vary quite a bit from static measurements.

If you need weight distribution, there's a whole 'nother set of issues to contend with there. Cross that bridge when you get to it.

If its a late 90s or newer Suburban and has the trailer package, it should be wired for your 7 pin connector at the rear hitch. Does it have that connector? Only thing might be that the fuse for the trailer charging system is not installed and the blue brake wire may not be hooked up as there is no controller to hook it to yet. Look behind the brake booster. In the wiring harness there should be a blue and an orange wire ends loose in there. The orange is for the charging system and the blue is for the brake controller.

BTW....when shopping for a brake controller........Tekonsha Prodigy P3

most trailers have a 16" tongue height, with "most" being the key word here. highdesertranger

sorry about that. lets take some small steps here. what type of plug receptacle do you have on the back of your Suburban to plug your trailer in? the most common types are flat 4's and 7 way. the flat 4 is a flat connector with 4 wires. the 7 way is a round connector with seven terminals inside. the flat 4 is your basic everyday connection it powers right turn, left turn, brakes, running lights and a ground I know that is 5 circuits on 4 wires don't worry about that now. the seven way powers all those plus trailer brakes, a hot wire to provide a charge source to your trailer batteries, back up lights or other accessory and a ground. so go back to the rear of your truck and see what is there. btw most tow packages will have both connectors if it was a factory installed tow package.

for the hitch(ball mount) if you want to get it before the trailer go to an RV place and tell them you need a standard height(16") ball mount for your receiver with a 2" ball. while you are there ask them what class your receiver is. btw the ball mount and ball and pin should be about 30-40 bucks, ask them to show you how to put it on and off. get back to us with this info and we can go from there. I hope that clears it up a little. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
sorry about that.  lets take some small steps here.  what type of plug receptacle do you have on the back of your Suburban to plug your trailer in?  the most common types are flat 4's and 7 way.  the flat 4 is a flat connector with 4 wires.  the 7 way is a round connector with seven terminals inside.  the flat 4 is your basic everyday connection it powers right turn,  left turn,  brakes,  running lights and a ground I know that is 5 circuits on 4 wires don't worry about that now.  the seven way powers all those plus trailer brakes,  a hot wire to provide a charge source to your trailer batteries,  back up lights or other accessory and a ground.  so go back to the rear of your truck and see what is there.  btw most tow packages will have both connectors if it was a factory installed tow package.

for the hitch(ball mount) if you want to get it before the trailer go to an RV place and tell them you need a standard height(16") ball mount for your receiver with a 2" ball.  while you are there ask them what class your receiver is.  btw the ball mount and ball and pin should be about 30-40 bucks,  ask them to show you how to put it on and off.   get back to us with this info and we can go from there.  I hope that clears it up a little.  highdesertranger

Whew.  Thank you!  I'll look at my receptacle and see what it is when I have a chance.

Most Uhaul trailer rental places sell, install and service trailer hitches and parts but also probably charge the most as they are full service and convenient. You could have them estimate what you need then when you need it shop around.

mothercoder said:
Okay, I'm totally overwhelmed here.

The main concept is that you want your trailer to be level when it's hitched to the Suburban;  that the hitch is of sufficient rated strength to handle the load; and that the tongue weight of the trailer doesn't exceed what your receiver hitch can handle.

The wiring is pretty simple stuff.  You just have to make sure that you match the connectors.  If the trailer only has a four-pin and the Suburban has a 7pin, there are $10 adapters for that.  If they both have 7pin round flat blade, then you're good to go.  If the TRAILER has a 7pin round flat blade, but the tow vehicle only has a 4pin flat, you'll need someone to wire the tow vehicle to fit what the trailer needs. 

Yes, it's a lot of information to try to absorb when you've never ventured into the area of towing a travel trailer before.  It's not difficult stuff... there's just a lot of it.  And part of the problem is that you don't have a trailer yet.  Once you have the trailer, then it's pretty simple to figure out what your needs are because then you'll know the trailer weight, tongue weight, tongue height, and ball size.  It's just that it's not necessarily a one-size-fits-all program.  Heavier trailers need heavier hitch assemblies, and trailers that have really heavy tongue weights can't be towed on just a ball mount, they need weight distributing hitches in order not to overload the receiver hitch on the Suburban.

mothercoder said:
Stupid question:  I bought a used Suburban with a factory tow package.  I don't have my TT yet.  How can I find out if the wiring works and where can I get a ball hitch installed?

Get an estimate from a trailer place. Just mention it was a gift or it came with the vehicle when you bought it and you want to reconnect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk