To Meat or Not Meat . .

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Reaction score
To Meat or Not Meat . .
Vegetarianism in America” study published by Vegetarian Times showed that
____percent of
U.S. adults, or 7.3 million people, follow a vegetarian-based diet

1.   A)  25 %    B)  3 %   C)  10 %    D)  12 %
water-10.jpg

“the biggest way animal agriculture consumes water is indirectly.
A large amount of fresh water is used to grow the feed that livestock animals eat.
By comparison, it takes a lot less water to grow the grains, beans, legumes,
fruits, and vegetables that make up a typical vegetarian diet.”

Several years ago there was a popular bumper sticker promoting vegetarianism. It showed a large, lean, handsome, buck deer with a huge rack leaping effortlessly over a fence. On the other side of the fence was some tall grass and it said simply, "Deer eat grass." Of course the implication was that grass had all the nutrition the deer needed to grow big and strong, inferring that people could similarly adopt a vegetarian lifestyle and be strong and lean like the deer.  

A few months after seeing this thought provoking bumper sticker I saw another one. At first I thought it was the same one as it looked very similar. There was the same deer leaping a similar fence. The only difference was now there was a tiger hiding in the tall grass laying in wait for the deer who would soon become his lunch. The inscription said simply, "Tigers eat deer." I instantly got the point.

What part of the food chain do you want to be?  I don't know about you, but I want to be at the top of the food chain. Like the old sentiment we've often heard, "I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain just to eat grass."  or the quasi religious, tongue in cheek question "If God didn't want us to eat animals why did he make them out of tasty meat?"

Now I'm an animal lover (on my plate.) No seriously, I believe we should respect all life and not cause it undue suffering, but treat it with kindness and compassion - until it's time to harvest it for food. Without man eating animals millions of livestock animals would not get to live at all, as there would be no economic reason (or even the ability) to keep them alive. Some might view this as a good thing, less animal flatulence (methane) so less global warming, less consumption of cereal grains which man can eat, etc., however I do not. I think humanity would be lessened if we did not have the vast numbers of livestock animals that we do today, and I believe that these critters want to live, even if it is a shorter life than they might live in the wild. Remember the wilderness is brutal, it's literally dog eat dog, where animal's lives are most often cut very short due to predation, starvation and disease. It can be argued that well fed, disease free livestock typically live a far better life than their counterparts in the wild. Even in the end, they are slaughtered quickly and humanely, not brutally and painfully torn to shreds by predators, possibly even eaten alive in the most gruesome end imaginable - or succumb to a slow, lingering death due to parasites, disease and starvation suffering cruelly for an extended period of time before they expire. No, from an ethical and moral standpoint I see no problem with ethical rearing and humanely harvesting livestock for our needs. Besides, did I mention they're yummy.  :D  

Chip

Silver said:
“the biggest way animal agriculture consumes water is indirectly.
A large amount of fresh water is used to grow the feed that livestock animals eat.

I find your water argument specious.  With the exception of the few molecules of water escaping into space each year and the small amount that is separated into hydrogen and oxygen for industrial uses, the supply of water has remained constant since the earth was formed.  All water eventually finds its way back to the ocean to evaporate and rain down again.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
With the exception of the few molecules of water escaping into space each year and the small amount that is separated into hydrogen and oxygen for industrial uses, the supply of water has remained constant since the earth was formed.

The amount of water is the same.  The distribution, availability, and resources consumed by making water potable is variable.

Desert boondockers steward their fresh water supply even though they know the amount of water in the world is stable.

sushidog said:
...treat it with kindness and compassion - until it's time to harvest it for food.

That's the time I try to be most kind and compassionate.  It sounds silly but I also talk to the animal and thank it before dispatch;  this reminds me to be grateful and to waste nothing.  

"Thank you, rabbit."
"Thank you, chicken.  You have been a good chicken and I will give you an easy ending."

I told one obnoxious chicken he had been a PITA but all was forgiven now and I would be as gentle as possible.  :)

Apropos the thread, I eat much less meat as I get older.  I am striving for an Asian approach where meat is more a flavoring than the main course.  A small piece of meat is "a jewel on the plate".

I, too have found that my meat consumption is way down as I've aged. I enjoy a good steak or other meat, but after a cubic inch or two, I'm done. My sons and hubby love to go out to eat with me as they end up getting at least 1 1/2 entrees. I eat a lot of whole grains and veggies. And lots of chocolate and cookies. I'm called the "cookie monster" in our household. Luckily, also since I've gotten older, I have to work on keeping the weight on, so I need those cookies.
Ted

Meh, my ancestors did not claw their way to the top of the food chain so I could eat grass.

As an aside, vegan evangelists are almost, but not quite, as annoying as Jehovah's Witnesses are.

mayble said:
We could just start eating children.

As any English lit major knows, that has already been suggested by someone........

;)

The word vegetarian originally used by the native Indians. It means..."Poor Hunter".

jester said:
The best way to preserve our natural resources is to not have children.  I'm satisfied being childless and eating meat.

And the best way to entice nations to have fewer children is to upgrade their economic standard of living. Bare-subsistence nations tend to have higher birth rates: nations with higher economic standards of living tend to have lower birth rates. This is known as the "demographic transition".

Currently, some of the poorest/most populous nations on Earth are expanding their economy and entering their demographic transition, and several more are likely to do so in the near future. That is a good thing for all of us.

The problem that I see with a vegetarian diet is that it can be tricky. Many people aren't all that knowledgeable about nutrition (including doctors), they just don't like the idea of eating meat. My sister is vegetarian. When I ask her if she's getting 'complete' protein or just 'protein', her eyes glaze over. When I ask about Vitamin B12, the same thing happens.

People who don't educate themselves about nutrition are often deficient in protein, vitamin D, vitamin B12, vitamin K2, calcium, iron, and zinc.

Meats, fish, milk and eggs are complete protein sources. But many people think if they eat beans every day, they're covered. Your body needs 22 different types of amino acids to function properly. You can produce 13 of those (known as non-essential amino acids) within the body, but the other 9 (called essential amino acids) must be obtained from food.

The average woman needs 46 grams of complete protein per day, the average man about 56 grams.

Quinoa contains complete protein, but not very much: 1 cup of it contains 8 grams of protein; if you eat 6 or 7 cups of it a day, you're covered. Amaranth has 9 grams of protein. Buckwheat is also a complete protein, but again, only 6 grams of protein per cup.

Chia seed is better, at 17 grams of protein in 3.5 oz. Hemp has 37 grams of protein in 3.5 oz, if your gut will tolerate it. Dry spirulina has 32 grams in half a cup.

Soy is a complete protein with 10-15 grams of protein in a half-cup. But there are two possible problems with it: 93% of the soybeans grown in the U.S. are genetically-modified; and there seem to be indications that soy may reduce fertility in women, trigger premature puberty, and disrupt development of fetuses and children.

The rest of the vegetarian protein sources are incomplete -- but if you combine two or more of the incomplete proteins (eat them the same day, not necessarily at the same meal), you will form complementary proteins which will provide all the essential amino acids:
* Mix legumes with grains, nuts, seeds or dairy
* Mix grains with dairy
* Mix dairy with nuts
* Mix dairy with nuts/seeds and legumes

Vegetarian or vegan is fine, but you do have to educate yourself and go by the rules; you can't just eliminate meat, fish and eggs and think you're good. Long-term neglect of Vitamin B12 (found in meat) can produce memory problems resembling dementia or Alzheimer's.

I love meat. I too enjoy the occassional salad or two, but I am a meat eater first and foremost. I could never imagine a meal without meat. Lately I have been cutting down on eating meat though but I will never go full vegetarian mode.