Thinking about a factory built RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen this first hand. Sadly, the well-built units could not compete with the cheaply and poorly constructed and either went out of business or have been purchased by 1 of the 2 or 3 mega owner manufacturers which quickly diminish any quality left. I saw Jayco was just purchased by Thor. I consider Thor the kiss of death when it comes to quality. Yeah, they own Airstream, not the same company leadership that produced units that lasted for years with minimum issues though.

There are a lot of mom and pop type teardrop and tiny trailer operations now which look promising to me.

I used to be a member of that board
yep, the RVs you can buy are overpriced and underbuilt, that's one reason building out a van is so tempting
Class Bs are the exception, at least the ones that are left body - intact
At least I think they are, I could be wrong

Our 2011 el cheapo Brand 25 ft 3 season ultra lite trailer was just $13.500 new and we haven't had a major issue with it yet. We drag it over light 4x4 trails,it sees from -20 to over 100f yearly and wind that I thought was going to knock us over. It hasn't given us a problem yet. I'd love a nicer trailer but I'm too worried that it would be a lemon.

The other thing is now that I need easier and want to join you all on the road, I'm finding RV's to be set up for short term use unless you go big enough to have a basement. To full time in the trailer I would have to make changes just to have the storage I would need. I looked at a 72 Brave that the interior needed to be gutted. I'd love to be still able to redo it the way I would need. Finding parts for the mechanical systems would worry me too.

As for how they are slapped together, I agree. It use to be if you spent more that you got better quality. Now you get the same crap but with shinier stuff. Again, it's the reason we haven't traded ours in.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
This thread, and it's associated links, might change your mind . . .

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66579

Reminds me of the guy who bought a Fleetwood MFG home...Oh wow did he take it in the shorts...

There's a website devoted to trashing them too....

This is why I am looking at getting a 6 X 12 cargo trailer and converting it myself.....

yep I agree RV quality has steadily gone downhill the last 20-25 years. the 2x2 wood framed ones were never any good for off road use. highdesertranger

I don't understand the range of quality found unit to unit. I know they are all built cheap as sh**. But if you spend any times on the forums you'll find someone with the same model same year and one guy is ready to torch it and have a bonfire in his backyard and another is praising his years and years of trouble free use.

I just bought an 04 27 footer for 3k. As best as I can tell it's never had any leaks and all the components are still working.....fridge, stove, and AC anyways. However, I bought it with the intention of using it for 4-6 months in my backyard while I remodel the house. Don't think it's something i'd trust towing around the country and every aspect of it's construction screams cheap. But why did this 04 survive relatively unscathed when so many others have long since rotted away?

What does everyone think of a scamp or a casita. Just curious. They are riveted fiberglass

From what I have seen on the scamp and casita forums as long as you put in the time and money those trailers can last for a long time. But I have to say casitas are built better. Scamp uses cheaper quality materials to save weight and money.

I think part of the reason for some of the positive reviews is people will not admit to a bad buy. case in point once while prospecting in Oregon a few years back a kid(20 something)was hanging out. he drove a Subaru. Subaru's have a cult following in Oregon. one night around the camp fire I asked him "How do you like your Subaru?" he said he loved it and only paid 6k for it. I asked "no troubles?" he kind of hem hawed and said not much, only a transmission/transfer box, some electrical gremlins, and a rear differential. I said how much did that cost, 5k for trans, 2500 rear diff, and 800 for electrical gremlins and they all have not been resolved. so he loved his money pit. highdesertranger

I've looked at a Casita close up, they are quality RVs, but cramped inside for what you pay
my 16 foot Road ranger has more actual room in it (casitas are 6 wide, not 8)
The casita, however, is much more intelligently laid out inside

Well we are picking up a new Escape fiberglass trailer next month in Canada. It is a small family owned company that really cares about what they build. I looked and many many different types of RVs and have had several in the past and this to me is the pick of the littler. We got it all set up for boondocking with solar and a high lift kit. We have sold everything and just about ready to embark on your adventure. We will let you know how it all works out.

Welcome aboard PorschePilot !
We'll need pics or it didn't happen......
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

I bought my first trailer in the 70's when everyone and their grandmother in Elkhart was in the trailer building business. That sucker was solid as a rock. Years later I lived in a rented trailer built in the 50's -REALLY solid.

Does anybody know anything about the scamp fifth wheel. Could one person drive, hitch, unhitch and back it up. From what I have been reading in forums they are better than other fifth wheels and motor homes. It only weighs about 2800 pounds.

I don't know squat about scamp. but I do know about 5ers. imho a goose neck is far better. you have all the advantages of a 5er but you still have your pick up bed without that big ugly 5er hitch taking up all the space. about the only thing I can think that a 5er has over a goose neck is they are easier to hook up. but I have hooked up a goose neck by myself plenty of times. highdesertranger

Every Road Leads Home said:
 But why did this 04 survive relatively unscathed when so many others have long since rotted away?

Probably wasn't used. No wear and tear, no loose joinery etc. A lot of trailers spend one season in use, and the rest of their lives in the back yard. If they kept the sun off of it, may be as good as new. 

As far as build quality between brands, a difference does exist. I have a 1970's Class A called a Kings Highway 30'. It has solid welded steel construction for the whole unit with a fiberglass skin. They advertised it at the time as ring of steel construction. It is still very solid. It was top of the line for it's time. Someone later put a Detroit Diesel in it with an Allison 6 speed. They also put a 3 speed driveline transmission in it for a granny gear and a bit of overdrive.

Latest posts