Thinking about a factory built RV?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, this is pretty much exactly what is going on in most big businesses now. I think that when the economy crashed a few years back, most businesses had to cut costs and most did it by cutting their work force, cutting corners or both. But, once the economy got a bit better (I am not convinced it is all that much better) the business owners or higher ups saw that consumers would continue to accept lower quality and service at the same price. So, they didn't add more workers or increase standards but profits have risen.

Thanks everyone for once again answering a newbie's question and reassuring me.

I'm happy with my Tiger. It wasn't cheap but it's my home and my vehicle.

I bought a Skyline Nomad, used, 3 years old. Was a good price, and the unit is holding up well. I take it out about 6-7 times a year, mostly over washboard roads and no big problems. Just the usual, drawer guides coming loose, etc.

I have a few friends with Skyline Trailers, all are happy except one toy hauler owner who has had issues with the rear door and the bed controls. but that is all.

I would not attempt to full time in any one of these things. They are not made for it.

porsche pilot said:
Well we are picking up a new Escape fiberglass trailer next month in Canada.  It is a small family owned company that really cares about what they build.  I looked and many many different types of RVs and have had several in the past and this to me is the pick of the littler.  We got it all set up for boondocking with solar and a high lift kit.  We have sold everything and just about ready to embark on your adventure.  We will let you know how it all works out.

Looking at their website, they look really nice.  Let us know how you like it after you get it and share some pics please : )

This is their website if anyone is interested/curious.
http://escapetrailer.com/

Every Road Leads Home said:
Aren't a lot of warranties void if people live in their RV's full time?

That's what I have read. The materials simply are not up to the daily abuse, but one could do it if one was careful and practiced regular maintenance. It's not undoable, but you're dealing with very thin and lightweight materials, plastic sinks, etc.

The one shining point is the plumbing, as they use PEX and the good brass fittings and copper clamps (mine does, anyway). PEX plumbing is plastic plumbing done right. After several decades and attempts, residential plastic plumbing has finally arrived to a state where it will last and last and last.

Forget the warranty. Never buy one new, and they are only a year or so anyway.

My trailers warranty said it would be voided if we lived in it full time. They are not built for the wear and tear or humidity, then again most get used a weekend or week here and there.

Some brands seem to have better reputations that others. Smaller makers that only build to order seem to be best, if you can wait for a new one. Lazy Daze has a good reputation with Class C's. Rexhall makes class A's, and did make some lemons for a couple of years, but now only does custom orders. (I've got an older one.) Look at how the used ones retain their value.

Born Free's are still built in the family factory in Iowa, they're spendy but solid as a rock.

For those looking at travel trailers, consideration should be given for converting a cargo/motorcycle/race car hauler. For the same reasons as converting a van into a 'personalized', quality class B, a blank slate trailer can also be personalized and built exactly as desired for much less $$ than some of the crap leaving the lots these days. I was flabbergasted at how expensive the 'name brand' TTs have gotten, which made my decision to go with a moderately expensive aluminum hauler that much easier.

Yeah, the new ones are over the top expensive. You can get a good used one for about the price of a new truck though, and their owners tend to baby them.