Things sure have changed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 19146

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been away from living in or camping in a car for many years. I lived in a 1963 Impalla ss 2 door, in 1974. living on the so. Calif beaches was a great time. wile working a full time job. I have lived in or camped out of many different cars. for more then 3 months but less then 6 months at a time. I have to admit the first time was very scary. but I did get over it in time. no cell phones no internet. and no direction's or help with how to live in a car. times sure have changed. the things I have learned is just amazing. I still need to learn more since I have not camped in many years.

I am setting up a 1996 Subaru Outback wagon, for camping in. with the goal to switch to the nomadic life. the Subaru is a new beginning once I get started. it's my relearning curve. I need to know what I really need or want and can get by with and without. I have a good idea about my needs and wants. switching life styles for has no fear attached for me. I can do it have done it and I want it again. I want my freedom back once more.

I have been busy rebuilding my kitchen setup. I learned what setup I want many years ago. I am as of now only missing a few small items. every thing has been updated to new if needed. and it all still fits into one container. my tent is so old that I need a new one. the fabric is old and worn. and I am missing a pole.  I do have everything I need to get started camping again. I want to start with short trips to make sure I have what I need.

I am thinking of a box van to build out. but I am not sure that is what I really want. only because of all the changes I would have to make. I would really like a view to the outside, from inside of what would be my new home.

Welcome to the most informative site ever Denny. There is a wealth of info throughout these forums and if you can't find what you are looking for, just ask...someone knows!

Hi Dennys Adventures and welcome. I thinking Cali beaches in the 70's were a hell of a time. Best of luck with getting things setup to hit the road.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Denny! Taking it slowly with short trips is a great way to see exactly what you want and need. Keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

What has impressed me most is the change in solar and battery technology. When I started vandwelling three years ago, most people had 100w solar panel systems, and 300w was considered huge (and hugely expensive). Today, I routinely see people with 300w at a coist not much more than I paid for 100w, and it's not that unusual now to see 700w or even 1000w, and lithium batteries have made the whole thing smaller and lighter. It opens up a lot more possibilities (though I still get by just fine with my 100w system).