thetford porta potti curve vs composting toilets

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindLifeHappyLife

Reaction score
I am looking into the thetford porta potti curve and I'm wondering if I use Eco friendly products could I empty it on a composting bin? What's the difference between a 5 gallon bucket, some of the composting toilets I've seen and the porta potti used this way?

Composting toilets are $1000 or more and I don't have that to spend, I used the 5 gallon bucket for a while, dumping in a composting bin.

If it matters I live in a small cabin in the woods on my land, not mobile.

The main problem with a bucket is that you're mixing fluids and solids. That means HORRIBLE SMELL! Compost toilets eliminate odor by separating the solids from liquids, and many offer easy methods of emptying. It's obviously more costly than a bucket, including maintenance (buying the coconut shreds and stuff), but if you're stealthing, you definitely want it. If you're boondocking, you can bury either one, so a bucket is more affordable.

NOTE: Since you live in the woods, and would have to bury the excrement anyways, just go with a bucket. Just empty it often!

NOTE2: You can also make a "compost bucket"... Just add wood shavings or coconut shreds to a bucket and stir it around! Make sure you have a separate bucket for liquids tho.

I use the bucket method already. 5 gallon bucket with saw dust emptied into my composting bin.

My question is if I bought a thetford porta potti curve could I empty the holding tank onto my composting bin?

KindLifeHappyLife,

Although I don't use it yet, because I have access to regular toilets, I do have a Thetford Curve, and from my testing of it, the only problem I could see with you emptying it into your composting bin would be...if you used something other than water for the flushing liquid in the Curve. They do recommend you use their deodorizing liquid (in addition to water)...but mechanically I can't see that it's necessary.

Of course, if you add some deodorizing or pleasant-scented material of your choice to the Curve, and you know that this material would not get in the way of the composting, that would work, too. (Does baking soda inhibit composting?)

In short, if you want the Curve because it's more comfortable to sit on, and more visually pleasing than a bucket, too, I would think it's fine to use and empty into your composting bin. But do think about the fact that the regular suggested use of the Curve, in order to keep down odors, does involve a deodorizing liquid...and not only water.

Disclaimer: Again, I haven't used it beyond setting it up and testing the mechanism, so I might be missing something.

Good luck with it.

GP

If you're living in a cabin on your own land, I'd just do what I did at my cabin and put in a 2 x 55 gallon drum septic system, and enjoy a regular toilet & indoor plumbing.

Screw the permits & junk, they told my neighbor no, but I just kept my mouth shut and bootlegged one in. Been working perfect for over 25 years now.

The biggest problem is with human pathogens. If your compost is well run, the heat will cure that problem.

I have the plans for a 55 gallon drum, but was told that I would need the septic with the sprinkler because the leach line from the regular septic systems wouldn't work with the clay dirt in my yard so I didn't think that the 55 gallon drum would work either.

A buddy of ours put down a 55 gal drum with a box seat that he used for about a year out behind a big tree. Then one day he decided to build an outhouse over it. About 3 days later the county man came in and said no no.
He was given a week to disassemble and fill in the whole under threat of a fine.

Sometimes covert actions are noticed, even 20 miles from town.

This is something I've been wondering about and I've looked at the videos available for Nature's Head and Air Head Toilet. As Kyonu said the major advantage of these composting toilets is that liquid waste and solid waste are kept separate. The people emptying these say the liquid waste smell is the problem when disposing. Emptying the dried solid waste was not an issue. The instructions are very clear as they don't want you putting any liquid into the solid container.

I don't see why a bucket could not be made to operate similar to these toilets for solid waste. Nature's head has you add composting material at the start when empty and then crank the handle (mix) 2-3 times are each use. For a bucket mixing can be done but the main difference seems that these composting toilets for just the solid waste are vented. When I called them they said just a vent line would work and it did not have to be a powered vent. For the bucket vent the bucket or put the bucket in a vented enclosure. A powered vent using a small 12v solar powered fan to vent the bucket might be best to get the solid waste dried out. Putting the bucket or enclosure at a slight vacuum should keep the fumes away from you even during use.

I experimented with a sawdust 5 gallon bucket toilet. Liquids and solids went into the bucket. I even tried to get it to putrefy by sealing up the bucket with a week's worth of poo and pee and couldn't do it. Even sticking my head in the bucket and taking a big whiff, I could barely detect any odor. I had a problem with smell at first, but the problem was not enough sawdust. When I added more sawdust, the problem disappeared. Too little sawdust and the smell was pretty bad. Urine without enough sawdust is awful.

The Humanure Handbook states to keep the urine with the poo together.