Oxyclean/oxyboost question-Re:Rainier70 post

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turnip4545

Reaction score
I use thetford portapotti and use HappyCamper powder. There is not smell when using but definitely a smell when dumping. I was curious as to what else I might do to reduce the smell. I found an old post where Rainier70 user suggests to add Oxyboost/oxyclean powder.

<QUOTE>
Here is some info that I wrote down on how these treatments work:

1.        Calcium nitate fertilizer    Add a nonionic surfactant (dawn or sprayer surfactant)    --- feeds the bacteria with nitrate so they produce odorless nitrogen gas instead of hydrogen sulfide. (Brands..Odorlos  and Eco Smart) 
2.      Sodium percarbonate – dry concentrated hydrogen peroxide  provides oxygen so that bacteria reaction isn’t anaerobic. (brand OxyBoost)
3.      Soluble iron and zinc salts --- These precipitate the sulfites out.  (Brand ..Happy Camper )  also contains a lot of baking soda  (one scoop/40gal  scoop =27g  2grams for 3 gal treatment ) Disolve 1/2t in 8oz water for portapotty.

</QUOTE>

and also

<QUOTE>
I have a 2.5 gallon tank for that I use 1/2 teaspoon of Happy Camper dissolved in a cup of water. https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Camper...8&qid=1541620822&sr=8-6&keywords=happy+camper The jar I listed is an example. I know that it says it is 18 treatments, but that is for a 40 gal RV tank. That is about 240 treatments for a 3 gal Porta Potti.

I also add 1T of calcium Nitrate dissolved in a cup or so of water.. This next year I will try some tanks with out it. With only the Happy Camper. I think that it maybe redundant if the Happy Camper stuff has already precipitated the Sulfur out. Anyway this is an example product. https://www.amazon.com/Solution-Fer...d=1541620685&sr=8-14&keywords=calcium+nitrate I almost forgot...I also add a few drops of dawn dish soap.

Only if I think my tank may get oxygen deprived do I add a teaspoon of OxyBoost or Oxyclean. That is if my tank is partway full, and it is going to sit for awhile.

</QUOTE>

From the above I take it that HappyCamper is always to be added. But not so clear about other treatments and their proportions and when they are to be added. Is Oxyclean to be added intermittently to supply more oxygen into the portapotti or is it to be added once after the PP was just cleaned. 

Are Oxyclean and OxyBoost equivalent in their function; can I substitute one for the other?  It also seems that Sodium Nitrate is redundant.

Keeping your meat intake down is definitely helpful. Between Happy Camper and a low/no meat diet, I could dump the tanks and not have to breathe through my mouth. Fish and dairy don't affect the stink so much.. It's better for your body too.
Ted

Latest posts