Theadyn's van and trip log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if it's all the rain here lately or what, but the wrist has been hurting quite a bit. 

When I break something, I break it good.  This was over 2 years ago, when my late hubby was in a coma before he passed.  I was staying in OKC to be near him and the people above me were being extremely rude and loud, with me having no sleep.  Out of frustration I decided to hit the ceiling with a coat hanger :huh:  to shut them up.  Yeah, joke was on me, I slipped on the slick comforter falling and landing on my left wrist.  Knew right away it was broken.

Anyway, shattered the distal radius, ripped the tendon, and chipped a little of the tip of the ulnar bone.  Was an almost 4 hour surgery to try to fix it, along with sporting one of these snazzy things a few months: 

[img=320x239]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IvcgBpt2NG0/VWhOcpntoWI/AAAAAAAAAtY/Dgig3JhUGpU/s320/20121024_194120.jpg[/img]

Drove myself to the hospital because they weren't going to take me to the one my hubby was at, and he was alone.   He passed Sept 13th, had surgery the 17th, his wake was the 21st.

Still can't bend my wrist fully.  If I had waited any longer to get it fixed the doc said he may have had to fuse my wrist, zero movement, so I am very happy to be able to use it still.   I try not to be a wimp, but dang it hurts sometimes.  Have no idea what type of job to eventually look for that will be kind to it.  In the past was a licensed hair stylist for 9 years, and am still a licensed xray tech, have done that for 10 years.  Both of them use the wrist heavily.

Has nothing to do with van dwelling, just has been bothering me lately.  I did get some stuff moved around yesterday inside Van Halen.  Got rid of small sorta tall plastic bin.  Removed the food from under the bed and put it into the bigger plastic bin.  There's still room in just the one drawer.  All of the little not needed things got it's new spot under the bed.  Took one of the plastic empty coffee containers and put it in the footwell under the plastic bin to stabilize it, think it will work much better.  A bit more room in there, now.  :)

[img=240x320]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-UkY_86URDXs/VWhRVVCxJaI/AAAAAAAAAto/87WlDvQV5zA/s320/inside2.jpg[/img]

Went out there last night with the intention of just reading, and promptly fell asleep.  Ole man came out there about 10pm to check on me, and there I was, sound asleep.  lol

Your van is looking real nice :cool:
Looks like you're starting to get the kinks ironed out.....and your internal sleep timer has accepted it as home too !
My mom has an ankle that "predicts the weather" like your wrist. Hope you find something to do that keeps the pain to a minimum. Are you looking for on the road jobs or back at home jobs?

Am looking for a mobile job. :) One I can do here, there, or yonder. So many scams out there, though. Doing my research. :)

dusty98 said:
Your redoing of the conversion van looks good, only question for you is the legality of window tint on the passenger front windows...  Well, if it is 5%, it's definitely not legal in AZ on either front window  Be careful about that...  Does it make the van too dark or "caves" inside?

Good luck.

??? The law in AZ is 33% on the fronts, as dark as you want on all the rest (nothing on the windshield) Now NYS, I was pulled over twice within the same hour for tint... with AZ plates!

dusty98 said:
It's distinctly darker looking than AZ allows, we are 20% on driver and passenger windows.  Many vehicles here have the dark all over, cops just have an easy excuse to pull you over.  However, in their defense, if they cannot see what you are doing when they walk up, they are bound to be very cautious...

See my post on getting pulled over for seemingly minor things...  But then if not your tint, it will be something they make up.
??? X2 What part of Phoenix do you drive in where this happens? Are you driving something suspicious looking, doing something suspicious, in the barrio perhaps?

My only complaint about cops here is the ones in Gilbert are little nazi's who will pull you over for 1 mile over and are total dickheads about it.

I've been doing the workamper thing since '03 lots of possibilities with various length of commitments.
(This summer I'm hanging out on a lake in a campground boathouse renting boats , canoes , kayaks , etc.
Camp store is an easy gig too. )
My fave job was as a pirate ship captain in a theme park!
I spent most of my life on the road doing live sound for many different bands .
Some places hire musicians to entertain in their campgrounds/resorts if you are musically inclined. Whole season to just a nite or two..

Lots of various jobs in National Parks and concessionaires. Transfer to another park is sometimes available with these jobs so you can get to live in some (many)of our nations natural wonders and get paid too !.

Amazon has a fairly short job before Christmas with real good pay and free site if you can handle long days (not me) , can be cold in some of their locations though.

I've met several people that do various internet based jobs that aren't too labor reliant.
Website design , e-commute type stuff are just a couple of the ones I've seen.

If you're a journalistic sort , lots of people make good pay with blogs , writing books and/or newspapers.
Nick Russel with his Gypsy Journal plus several books , Chuck Woodbury's RVTravel newsletter ,
Technomadia................Are just a few examples of that kind of work.

Short term jobs abound in places like Quartzite where snowbirds congregate.

Registering with temp agencies is another possibility.

Just ask anywhere you are , that's how I got the one I have now !

Aaarrrggggggghhhhhh matey , I've had lots of really cool jobs but that was "the best ever" for total fun factor.

Arrrrrgh, there were no Seals in them seas (unless one of me guests was hidin' it).
The only other craft was a Swan Boat and the little lady pilotin' her wasn't any threat to me and me crew of little pirates as far as I knowwwwwww!

We did however have a very suspicious lookin' creature that was devastatin' the crawdad population,,,,,I'm told it was a Blue Heron but me thinks it might have been somethin' far more sinister ! I heard it's cry more than once and me thinks it might have been a dinosaur !!

Now , back to our story about the fair princess Theadyn........................

You seem like a very determined woman, I enjoyed reading your few pages of travels and how you fought through the problem. If you haven't figured out a good, working solution to the urination issue, may I suggest you stop at a General Aviation type airport and check out the pilot supplies. They make slip/fit ons for male and female. This is what general Aviation pilots use and they work well.. In another life I was was CFII and logged many hours and used the male version many times.

Continued success on your adventure. Travel Safe. Bob J.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/sa...y-j-adapter-for-little-john-pilot-urinal.html

And it says you can have it gift wrapped.

masterplumber said:
Check out this gal's blog, http://www.interstellarorchard.com/
She's only in her 20s and making a great life work camping.

I've already checked out her blog, a few times. Enjoy reading it. Thanks for posting this, in case others haven't seen it yet, though. :)

bobj said:
You seem like a very determined woman, I enjoyed reading your few pages of travels and how you fought through the problem. If you haven't figured out a good, working solution to the urination issue, may I suggest you stop at a General Aviation type airport and check out the pilot supplies. They make slip/fit ons for male and female. This is what general Aviation pilots use and they work well.. In another life I was was CFII and logged many hours and used the male version many times.

Continued success on your adventure. Travel Safe. Bob J.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/sa...y-j-adapter-for-little-john-pilot-urinal.html

And it says you can have it gift wrapped.

Lol @ gift wrapping it. ;) Now, why didn't I know bout these when it was my birthday a few weeks back? Haha. It probably would have gotten some looks from some when asked what they could get for me, haha. :D Good idea though!

Not much new to report. Was busy last week being the person in charge of being care giver to mom for her colonoscopy. That included her staying the night before, entertaining her, fixing her lovely jug of drink stuff and cheering her on, then waking her up at 3am to do the same, more entertaining, getting her to hospital (that I formerly was fired from.. another story for later), registered, waiting, going back with her, keeping her spirits up, more waiting, getting post-op completed, carting her safely to my house, making sure the directions were followed for 24 hours, more entertaining... it was an ordeal. And I'm sad to admit, after the ordeal was over, ms pammy went on a bender for a few days. *shrugs*

I seem to be having a bit of an oil leak, it seems. Not sure whether it will pay to have it repaired on this old cheap van, or just keep an eye on the level and add as needed. Van Halen running just fine otherwise. :) The A/C did finally leak out after about month, so yesterday I went and bought some Freon and charged her up myself, she's a happy cool camper now. ;) When I had been parking Van Halen was near a row of tall bushes and the shade of a mulberry tree. Well.. that's not working so great, cause the birds sure like those berries. So Van Halen got a wash job yesterday and is smiling pretty today. Decided to park her somewhere different and just put a rug under where the oil leaks so as not to have oil all over the nearly new driveway. Now just to master parking over said rug every time, haha. Hey? Anyone know the best, cheapest way to get oil drip off cement driveway?

I will admit I have been sort of bummed as of late. Being broke will do that, I suppose. Still waiting on rv sale. Yeah. I was thinking this deal was not going through and really just dreaded the thought of having to relist it and go through that whole torture all over again. It's been weighing on me making depression worse. Like, bad enough I don't want to get out of bed. But did talk to people buying it yesterday, their house had to be re-appraised per the bank after our recent storms so the paperwork on their part after the appraisal is being updated. Few more weeks. They still want it, I still don't want to go through the hell of selling it again. I just tell myself there is a reason I am not supposed to have it sold and be on the road just yet. And really, there is no rush. Well.. other than.. I'm not feeding my wanderlust camping bug.

I did go ahead and apply at Amazon a few months back, will be doing the call thing today at 1pm. Never hurts to earn some $$ and I think it'd be great to know, even though it will be hard work, it's only temporary. Think I will enjoy those type of jobs way better than the thought of drudgery of going every day, week after week, with no end in sight. And I like the fact you can withdraw, should something come up, no hard feelings. Am hoping the call thing today will answer a lot of the questions I have about it. Still trying to figure out another means of earning income without being 'tied'. No luck so far.

Big huge grocery shopping trip this morning planned (least I get to put it on the bf's credit card woot!). Yee. Maybe I should go now while it's before 7am and not as busy and get it over with, eh? :) Yeah.. think I'll do that! Thanks for letting me ramble.

Clay type kitty litter and scrub the oil stain. We used a foot shuffle technique, but it wears the soles. Now use a stiff brush. No water. Keep it dry! There are also some harsh chemicals available from the garage equipment companies.

My daughter is moving to a town over 3 hours away.  Sure will miss her being right across town, but it is a good opportunity for them.  And an excuse to get out of town more.  ::)   Anyway, so I'm on collecting her mail duty.  Was going to hop in Van Halen and go pick it up.  Nothing doing but both doggies had to go with me.  My lil doggy got elbowed out of the front shotgun seat by boyfriends much bigger doggy.  Here is the picture he snapped before we took off, haha.

[img=891x501]https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...5e7d40a4a1a395ff0498645520d&oe=55F93F5F[/img]

Doggy is smiling!!   My lil doggy is on the floor behind us barking at bigger doggy.   :)

ccbreder said:
Clay type kitty litter and scrub the oil stain. We used a foot shuffle technique, but it wears the soles. Now use a stiff brush. No water. Keep it dry! There are also some harsh chemicals available from the garage equipment companies.

Use Tide , Water ,and a broom . We did this when I worked in a service station , works great .

Got some insurance renewal's in and my AAA service renewal.

To insure the van for 6 months was just under $114, not too shabby. Just liablility, cause just for now I don't have much $$ in the van and I'm not taking off all over just yet. Might look at increasing it to full coverage when going on much longer distances, seeing what the price difference is to change it. For now, it's cheap.

Got the renewal for the year's liability's insurance is for the current for sale RV, $36.58.. for the YEAR. Yes, you read that right. Have no idea if it's who they underwrite RV insurance with, my FICO score is really good, or I haven't had claims in years, and only once in my lifetime. But that is what it is. I will not be renewing as I should be selling RV within a few weeks.

AAA's yearly membership is $85, and I will be renewing. They WAY more than paid for themselves within weeks of me purchasing this last summer. It included two tow's to my big (measuring 29') RV to two separate mechanics places within 2 days time. They cover my RV and any vehicle I would have been driving, car, van, etc. They were very prompt, answered every question, and got reliable service to me very quick. I also had GS at the time, after initially calling them first and them asking some questions, when I tried calling back they wouldn't answer my phone call. So I am not real high on them, sorry. My van insurance also has roadside assistance in it's premium, so I'll just keep AAA and my insurance's roadside for my vehicle.

Yesterday was pretty interesting. I went to lunch with my mom and two of my sisters. Blackened salmon on a southwest salad was divine!! And a sis footed the bill, sweet!! No one fought, lots of laughs, and tons of picking on mom, it was a great lunch. Then took mom to one of her favorite consignment shops. Then took her to my sis's place, the RV dealership, where her truck was. Hung out there for a while, visiting with mom and the other two sis's more.

RV sis had some boys helping clear the debris from the recent flooding on her land there, 2 of them being the nephews of my late hubby. Was very good to see them again. I got to show them Van Halen, they both flipped out!! One was there with me when I bought it, but has not seen the inside since the remodel. Both of them, haha, said "I want one of these!!!". Yep, I may have converted two want-to-be vandwellers. They loved everything I did, and I told them where it's been so far, showed them the hula doll. They both were smiling. My other nephew got in it and asked "Can I sleep in here?" haha. Uhh.. NO. :)

And then... I kind of had a job fall in to my lap. RV sis has trade in's come in when people buy new rigs. It's not constant, more sporadic. She had been having one of her daughters clean them to get them ready for resale. That daughter no longer wants to clean them, nor does the other daughter. I'm sitting there, and my mom busts out "Me and Pam will do it!". So, me and mom got to tackle one of the more dirtier trade in's. Well.. mom did work, took breaks, but I went behind her and recleaned her attempts, lol. All good, got to spend time with her and she felt she was helping. Anyway, took about 3 hours and we each got $100 cash. Coolness!! So sis asked if I'd like to clean more, I asked about when I go off on my trips, she said no big deal, go. So let's recap: It's not set hours, just come clean when needed. I don't have to dress up. I don't have to deal with customers. I come in when I feel like it ready to clean. There will always be electricity and A/C. No one bothers me. I get paid cash under the table. $100 for regular ones, $200 for dirty ones. And I can take off on the road when I feel like it. Ummm.... YES! She's got two more I can clean this next week. Maybe I can get back into their good graces after quitting them this past October.

The one we cleaned yesterday was brand new in 2012, some dude bought it for oilfield work, it sat on location for a few years, he traded it in on a much higher dollar one. But, this 2012 was freaking nice! If totally dusty. 36' but great layout. He left a $5k tempurpedic adjustable bed in there that I think they may keep, it was drool worthy. I don't see how anyone could NOT live in this thing, and they will sell it for $20k. It's ridiculous how much they want for houses now days when you have a complete little house for $20k. Just some musings...

Nice to hear you're enjoying your trip.
You've started to spread the vandweller infection already!

That sounds like a cool job !
Be careful you don't fall in love with every rig you clean................. ;)

Sooooo, :huh: did you just move to Texas?

Nah... only visited Texas few months back. I lived there previously. Still stuck in crappy Okiehoma. I have two sisters that live in my town (one with the rv dealership), and my parents are up here for the summer, as well.

Umm.. yeah.. NO CHANCE I'll fall in love with those rigs, lol. They got a new one in yesterday evening, retail on it is $189k. O.O Yeah, it's that nice. And yeah.. wayyyyyy outta my price range. I'll stick with my cheapy van that I love. :D