Theadyn's van and trip log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good plan Theadyn.

The kind of use you are describing could tend to overheat/burn the tranny fluid. Burned fluid doesn't work very well and will shorten the tranny's lifespan ...... (It will start to turn brown instead of pink and smell awful too).
If the engine starts to lug down slow down a bit and shifting down a gear will help too.

New fluid would be a good idea and not that expensive , make sure to change ALL the fluid including in the torque converter.

An extra cooler for the tranny fluid is a good add-on for heavy use. Also not terribly expensive.They look like a mini radiator that you splice into the tranny oil line.

Another item is a tranny temp guage , another inexpensive add on. I'd call this a must have.
You can have the sensor installed in the tranny pan at the same time as the fluid change.
This will allow you to keep an eye on the temp and you can stop to let it cool down if it starts to get too warm.

RV is gone to it's new owners.  Pammy cashed certified check yesterday, and paid off the credit card she's been using for the last 4 months this morning.   Also paid bf back for the parts bought before the Arkansas trip.  Phew!!!  That's a load off! :)   Nice feeling to be debt free again.

Will be canceling insurance on the RV this morning, will get a little rebate check back for that.  Yay!

Today I will try to find a local place that works on auto A/C's to hopefully find and fix the leak.  Once that is done, it's time to try her out on a few small trips and see how things go from there.   Just.. this heat!!!  Ugh!!  lol   All week high 90's-100's here.  So there's really no rush to go anywhere right now.  Might just sit my happy butt at home and plan stuff.   :angel:

Check the trans cooler (in the bottom of the radiator) for blockage. Quite common. Bypass it with an aux cooler if it's restricted. Use a "plate" cooler, not the tube type.

Like already mentioned, flush the burnt fluid out.

Had brand new radiator installed a month ago, but will have them check that out, thanks!!!

Pretty bummed... today would have been my 14th wedding anniversary. It's been almost 3 years since he's been gone, but it still hurts like yesterday. They say time will heal... I'm still waiting.

Ohhhh so sorry to hear, that's gotta suck !
Anything we can do to cheer ya up?

Thanks you guys. :) There's a lot of 'anniversaries' coming up between now and October, just hard time of year. It's not as bad as it was the first year, thank goodness. 'This, too, shall pass'

Took the van to a shop yesterday to hopefully find and fix the A/C leak. Also, to fiddle with the idling or whatever is needed for that occasional wanting to die when putting it in gear issue. Just hoping now they don't rake me over the coals on the price. But hey.. I MISS MY VAN!!!! Have been sitting on money with no want or desire to spend it. Want and desire right now is to at least start planning the next big adventure. To do that, I really need to get Van Halen fixed, so getting fixed she is.

September is the month of the next trip, still no clue where I'll be headed. :D Before I hit the road, though, I will be taking her on a few shorter trips to test out everything again. Oh what fun!!!

Mechanics called.. it's ready. only $80.. They said whatever they did must have plugged it up because they couldn't find a leak.. I'm cool with that. Hope it stays like that. Now.. just to find someone to help me get her home.

Just as they said, she's still blowing cold, yay! Will be headed to the parents place by the lake soon. Just for a night or two, nothing major just yet.

Still have to figure out the 12v issue, the one in my jumper pack kind of died. And I love my 12 volt fan!! lol I did get an extra small battery pack that has two usb ports in it, guess I could just get a couple usb fans. Still trying to keep it simple. :)

Took off yesterday for a trip to the parents place by the lake.  Brought the stuffs to make them my crockpot jambalaya, which was a hit! :) 

Finally remembered to get my camera out, their lake they live by has some interesting things about it.  It's only an hour where I live, yet the areas are soooo different!!  My area is pretty flat.  Their area have mountains of quartz.  The mountains are really just a lot of rocks, it's interesting.  Here's a few pics:

[img=680x510]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-uzl_fCEGW4E/VdEsJ60QJQI/AAAAAAAAA28/jZwkY19MVm0/s1600/DSC00159.JPG[/img]

In the middle of this, is the lake

[img=577x522]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-HF4VQYJod_4/VdEr51jPtfI/AAAAAAAAA2c/WgebVV7zViQ/s1600/DSC00157.JPG[/img]

The van did good, the A/C kept blowing cold air.  It was fairly hot yesterday, mid 90's.  Blew pretty cold going down the road, not so cold going slow and stopping a lot, but better than nothing!  :)

I didn't stay the night, as they were leaving out first thing this morning to go to their south Texas place for a few weeks.  Dad's kinda gotta keep up on mowing two separate residences.  Poor dude. 

Did grab a quick pick of mom and dad, hehe

[img=509x368]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7fpw6i4PU7Q/VdEtwWjd-FI/AAAAAAAAA44/8fIgLBGnXCo/s1600/DSC00175.JPG[/img]

Quartz Mountain Natural Park has a lot of nature trails I have yet to explore.  When the weather cools off some, and some of the crowds disperse, I'll return and try out a few.  It's only about an hour from where I live, so can go pretty much anytime.  The bonus is, mom and dad are there (when they are in the state), my sis has a weekend house next door that she sometimes visits, and a beloved uncle lives across the street, so can always have a nice visit to go along with the trips. 

Next up:  think I will again head down to where my daughters new town is, a 3 hour drive from here.  She's staying at an RV park (a different one, this one much nicer) so will stealth in their lot, hehe.  The area around her town has soooo many places to explore!  I might stay a day or two.  Weather this week is looking promising, less heat.  Good a time as any to go.  :)   Will try to make taking the camera a better habit!!

Cheers all!

Not sure I am cut out to deal with this stress.. My daughter came and picked me up Saturday, pretty much stole me, invited my bossy sis to lunch, then they took me next town over to go antique shopping. If that wasn't enough assault to the senses, they then proceeded to have me cancel all of the room reservations and agree to renting a house for EVERYONE to stay in!!

If this was not enough.. the bf pretty much begged me to go with him to Utah. I really wanted to see Utah, really bad, but his trip was at the same time as the daughter's wedding, and I HAVE to be there for that, period. So now he asked, if he waited, if I would go. So I guess I am now going to Utah.. and not in my van.. without my security blanket. I need more hula dolls.

We will be in a truck pulling a cargo trailer that the motorcycles are in. Taking tents and blow up mattresses. Will be aiming to hit Moab as the 'base'.. will let them do their thing on motorcycles, I will be able to drive to the other places I wanted to see. Will start doing research on how far the state parks are from where we are staying. The kinda awesome part is this won't be on my dime, and I get to cross a few states off of my list. And.. I can't wait to see Utah.

Busy, busy next few weeks.. at the worst time of the year for me, still some hard dates up ahead. If I go missing, just know I tried to deal with it all. Thank you for listening.

Wow ,you do have a lot going on right now !
I remember times like that and I really prefer doing my solo travel mode and can pick how much alone time I need and where I want to spend it........good luck and happy trails. Remember , "serenity now" was Jerry Seinfeld's dad's mantra when life got too intense.........

an electric fan on your AC condenser will help with the AC cooling when in traffic or going slow. highdesertranger

I sympathize with the relative overload. It's great to see a few at a time, but lots of them for a long time--oh, boy.

You have some beautiful places to enjoy.

rvpopeye said:
Wow ,you do have a lot going on right now ! Remember , "serenity now" was Jerry Seinfeld's dad's mantra when life got too intense.........

Yeah, and look how good it worked for him!

I'm kidding, but the principles of Zen have truly and deeply changed many peoples lives for the better.
Bob

I will be doing the "serenity now" for weeks on end, non-stop, lol. And lots and lots of very deep long breathes. Will try to get into my Zen.. :)

Will look into a fan on my AC condenser, I haven't heard of that before. Thanks!

Bob , thanks for reminding us how well saying "serenity now" worked , while I was remembering that I also remembered it was Jerry Stiller who was saying it , he was George Castanza's dad.
Theadyn .
Either way ,,,thinking of a place you have been that was peaceful instead of where you are might be the ticket.
maybe the CRVL forums ????? Anyway , guess I was saying " go to your happy place"......and do remember , it will be over soon enough.
Great to hear your repairs are holding up , little mods like that fan don't count! You'll always be finding little things like that to make the rig a better place to live.
Better yet.
If you can park your van where you will be staying ,,there;s your escape from the chaos. Get inside , close the door , going for a drive optional.