Theadyn's van and trip log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got to admit, I am getting excited about the upcoming trip. :)

We will be in the bf's truck pulling a cargo trailer hauling 2 motorcycles and all our stuff. At night, the cycles are out and we are camping in the cargo trailer. Man, there is a lot of crap to pack, ugh!! lol I've been joking that if my van had a more powerful motor that could have pulled the cargo trailer, it would have been so much easier cause everything we've packed I've already got in it ready to go. Oh wells.

We are hitting the Zion National Park area for about 3 days, then around the Torrey area for another 3 days, then the Moab area for another 3 days, then meandering south toward the Chilne area and taking our time driving back. Will be a heck of a two weeks trip. I hope I remember to get my camera out this time!! lol

So far the temps don't look to be getting too low, in the 50's range. Perfect sleeping weather in my opinion, just pile on my blankets. So shouldn't be too bad on a blow up mattress in an uninsulated cargo trailer. Time will tell. :) You better believe my Mr. Buddy Heater is coming!! haha

Sitting on the patio drinking coffee at a house family rented in OKC, it worked out very well! Today my one and only daughter is getting married. Still seems unreal.

After the ceremony tonight I head back home for hopefully some sleep, then tomorrow morning off to Utah we go for 2 weeks.

I also finally broke down and went to a doc about meds for anxiety. Must say, I have been way more mellow, very happy bout this. That means I won't have to stay boozed up the whole time to deal with this anxiety.

Also bought a cheaply new phone, still figuring it out, the Tapatalk is working great so far, yay!

Theadyn said:
Sitting on the patio drinking coffee at a house family rented in OKC, it worked out very well!  Today my one and only daughter is getting married.  Still seems unreal.  

After the ceremony tonight I head back home for hopefully some sleep, then tomorrow morning off to Utah we go for 2 weeks.  

I also finally broke down and went to a doc about meds for anxiety.  Must say, I have been way more mellow, very happy bout this.  That means I won't have to stay boozed up the whole time to deal with this anxiety.

Also bought a cheaply new phone, still figuring it out, the Tapatalk is working great so far, yay!

Congratulations on the daughters' wedding!

Please, please, do NOT mix those meds with ANY alcohol! At all!!

I cannot emphasize this enough!

The combination can be deadly!

So here I sit in Torrey, Utah. I miss my van. :-( This converting a motorcycle hauler into something to sleep in every 3 days to move is a pain.

I gave sleeping w the bf on a queen blowup bed a try for one night, then moved to the cot. So glad I bought it. The skinny twin blow up I had bought previously for possible car camping worked great and have been sleeping very well with that and my sleeping bag I've owned for 25 years now.

The mornings have been chilly, Mr buddy heater is a God send to take the chill off. Warms up pretty fast when the sun is up so it isn't used for long.

Zion National Park area was awesome, as was the north rim of the Grand Canyon. I'm not too crazy about current area. Tomorrow we head for Moab, which is what I'm really looking forward to. Three days there, then its south to Chinle, Arizona for 2 days. One of the days will be a guided jeep ride through spider rock and canyon.

By the time I get home I'll be one tired chickie!!

I've decided to stay behind today. The dudes have zero concept of chill on vacation. Instead its been to immediately on motorcycles, me following in truck, driving nonstop all day until you're wore out, barely stopping to look at anything. Great for them on motorcycles, not fun for me, I'm afraid. Definitely need to go somewhere by myself soon so I can do what I want for a change.

That's the update for now. Thanks for letting me vent.

I agree that IS way too fast a pace. :dodgy:
Sounds like the way I used to have to travel in the music biz.
Except I was doing concerts instead of motorcycles.......
Enjoy the new locations ,what you CAN see that is.
AND take pics so you can post for the rest of us here .
Then back to a more comfortable travel mode in your own van !
Drive safe.

I am back!!!!    And still alive, lol.

Sooooo much to post about, not even sure where to start.  Right now, it's the 'morning after' the whirlwind and so I am just doing the coffee and reflecting thing.  Took sooo many pictures and have lots to write up on them, but right now it's brain overload.  There's pictures on my phone, digital camera, and Samsung tablet I have to wade through.  Will be downloading and sorting them over the next few days to post about on here.

I did get to see some amazing stuff, for sure.  But..  I would have preferred the trip experience a different way, my own way.  I don't think I am, or ever will be, a group vacation type of person.  The only reason I agreed to go this time, after saying this very same thing to myself after the Arkansas trip, was I was pretty much guilted into it.  It may have been kinder to tell the truth and say 'no'.  But anyways, I lived through it and came out in one piece with a ton of pictures and too much rolling in my head that I can not process it yet, haha.

Is it bad to admit I'm already thinking I need to leave out, like, SOON, on my own for a trip they way I want to take one?   haha.

Reading Bob's posts about hills, grades, being nice to motors, inclines and declines...   I just did all of that it seems, and sure wish I had read up on this before taking off.  This is how it turned out:

-Bf drove pulling heavy trailer with all our stuff and 2 motorcycles to the place we started, near Zion National Park, Utah.
-So much extra stuff taken that was, in my opinion, useless un-needed extra weight.
-Once at the campground, motorcycles unloaded, cargo trailer made into a very..  what's the word (?) 'un-serene' place to sleep with stuff just placed willy nilly.   Not good for my OCDish type personality, but good for the bf.
-Then it is 3 nights at that place, and 2 days of exploring from before the sun is up, bf waking everyone up, to hurriedly get on bikes and me driving the un-trailered truck (his, newish, big, nerve-wracking) with 2 doggies and a lot of the time the wife of the dude on the other bike that I do not know.  Not cool for an introvert sometimes, just saying.   Driving all day, stopping a lot for a pic or two, letting doggies pee, maybe a thrown together sandwich lunch out the cooler, and going again.   All day, until you're finally back at camp just in time for dinner and the other dudes' wife asking 'what's for dinner' while she sits on her butt.  The other dude did a lot of the grilling, I'll give him that, but it was 10 million questions of where this is, that is, or do I have this...  to me.  All me.  Uhhh..  did they not come prepared??  I felt like the freaking mom the whole time.  I would have done the campfire dinners way different, if it were up to me.  Was trying to go with the flow, though.
-We moved 3 times, from Zion National Park UT, to Torrey UT, to Moab UT, then to Chinle, AZ where I was the one driving the truck pulling the cargo trailer.  Let me tell you, there was definitely some hairy driving, and having to pull over, alone, anywhere I could so the tranny temp would cool off, and I missed some beautiful scenery sadly having to keep the truck and trailer on the narrow roads with no shoulder and cliffs.  NOT my idea of fun.  But, had to get to the next place, ya know?   The dudes enjoyed it on the bikes, I'm sure.   Lucky jerks.
-The cargo trailer had zero privacy.  That was a biggy for me.  In Moab, for example, we were at a campground there in town, sardined in, and with the back ramp down and door open for some air flow (was in 90's when we got there) the people across from us could see right in at all the messiness.  There was nothing I could do about it.  I was more than a little not cool with this.
-Sleeping wise, once I had my cot set up, I slept like the dead, with most nights being colder, it was awesome!!  Until that jerk-o bf got up at his usual 4:30ish in the morning, can you say bull in a china closet?  I'm glad I didn't have a taser on my person.  :blush:  I got to where I would go to sleep earlier and earlier, hehe.  Was actually able to read 2 books by saying I was gonna chill for a while, get comfy, read, and go to sleep early, it was my respite.

Converting cargo hauling trailer to camp in while moving a lot is way down on my list of ways to see stuff.  I would have probably gone insane had it gone more than 2 weeks.  I missed my van and it's easy setup every single day!!!

So now that the bad crap is out of the way, I will start to work on all the beauty I did find on this trip.   Pics coming soon.  :)

Theadyn said:
 But..  I would have preferred the trip experience a different way, my own way.  I don't think I am, or ever will be, a group vacation type of person.  The only reason I agreed to go this time, after saying this very same thing to myself after the Arkansas trip, was I was pretty much guilted into it.  It may have been kinder to tell the truth and say 'no'.  

Is it bad to admit I'm already thinking I need to leave out, like, SOON, on my own for a trip they way I want to take one?   haha.

It sounds like you took the madness of your normal lives with you, and amplified it by 100 times! Unfortunately, that's what the majority of "vacations" are like.  Now you need a vacation from your vacation! :p

One of the things I hate most about our civilization, is that it's expected, almost required, that women should never think of their own happiness, if they do they are treated like they are selfish and somethings wrong with them. Very sad. Even worse, women are trained from birth to actually believe that load of lies--and most do.

It's easy for me to  to blame your boyfriend, but he was taught from birth to guilt women to get what he wants from them so it's not really his fault. 

It's terribly difficult to break out of our training, and few do, but I wish it for you and every member of the forum.

You deserve happiness!! And you deserve to be treated like your happiness is very important! You should never be treated like your happiness is insignificant and less important than anyone else's!
Bob

akrvbob said:
It sounds like you took the madness of your normal lives with you, and amplified it by 100 times! Unfortunately, that's what the majority of "vacations" are like.  Now you need a vacation from your vacation! :p

One of the things I hate most about our civilization, is that it's expected, almost required, that women should never think of their own happiness, if they do they are treated like they are selfish and somethings wrong with them. Very sad. Even worse, women are trained from birth to actually believe that load of lies--and most do.

It's easy for me to  to blame your boyfriend, but he was taught from birth to guilt women to get what he wants from them so it's not really his fault. 

It's terribly difficult to break out of our training, and few do, but I wish it for you and every member of the forum.

You deserve happiness!! And you deserve to be treated like your happiness is very important! You should never be treated like your happiness is insignificant and less important than anyone else's!
Bob
Your last paragraph needs to be put up somewhere as a daily mantra for a lot of people. It also needs repeating over on the thread about living vicariously.

It doesn't just apply to the women here, although it may look like it some days, maybe because they speak up about their feelings more freely.  Look at the number of guys who are depressed and/or feeling guilty about wanting to feel the freedom of the road only to be tied to partners who are perfectly happy staying in one spot for all their days. And that's only the ones who are here - I can't begin to enumerate the ones I've met in real life that are tied like that.

The biggest problem as I see it, is that the word 'selfish' has developed negative connotations. The word didn't always have that meaning, it's only modern culture that has made being selfish into something evil and undesirable.

One big eye-opener for me was the first time I read Ayn Rands' Atlas Shrugged. Her other philosophies aside, it was the concept of selfish not being a bad thing that forever changed my thoughts and therefore my actions. It's like the emergency procedures on a plane - put your oxygen mask on first, then save the others.

None of us who put anothers' happiness ahead of our own is doing either our self or the other person any favor.

A very wise woman once said something like: "God gave us two hands for a reason, one to take care of ourselves, one to take care of others."

A life where either hand is atrophied is a sure path to a life of unhappiness. Big, strong muscles in each arm is a sure path to a good life.
Bob

Digital Hugs Lady Theadyn

I would have been miserable too.
I used to go on trips like that many years ago , then even more stressful ones every day in the music biz.
That life ended for me when I built my own little world on the back of my truck.
What my life became after that was .....................wonderfully better.
And when I quit that life and began this one of fulltime FREEDOM it became even better.
I have no desire to ever go back to any of that crap,,,,EVER.

My new life AND the new friends I have made...........priceless !
I rarely see any of those people from my old life anymore , they wouldn't understand this life anyway.

You survived the trip , now relax , enjoy the pictures you got to take , check off a few states on your list ,
You will now appreciate your own van and the life it enables you to have sooooooooo much more.

...........................and next time just say NO THANKS !!!!!!!

I felt stressed just reading Theadyn's latest post.

I really dislike having my schedule set by others. Reminds me of being a child when I had no say in the matter and was dragged along and miserable doing things others wanted to do.

I'd rather be alone, and now I am.

So it goes.

Thank you all for you words of wisdom and kindness. Had a feeling I was coming off witchy and grouchy, but hey, that was how I was feeling, haha.

Thank you, Bob, for reminding people that it is not selfish to want happiness, and in fact, deserve happiness! I need to remind myself and others of this every day!! :)

Agree, Almost There, this affects men and women alike. So many people out there who are not happy. And yes, we should put our own happiness first, hard as that is. Because really, how can we bring others joy if we do not yet have that ourselves?

Oh yes, RVPopeye... this trip for sure made me appreciate my van. Like, every.. single.. day.. on that trip. Already dreaming up my next adventure in here.. this time, haha, ALONE!! :D

Stern, I just re-read my own post and felt stressed all over again. Yep, I severely dislike having someone else's schedule dictating my life. More than once my grouchiness came out, I'm sad to say. Almost had to pull out the 'Remember, you begged me to come, I was more than happy to stay home and watch the dogs for 2 weeks' card a few times.

Thanks, all, for understanding. It truly means a lot. There's not many people in real life that I know who would get this, except maybe my dad. By the way, hehe... my mom told me that my dad now points out vans that would make a good home-made rv now. Woohoo!!! Now I got him looking, yeehaw! I may have converted my dad. :D Not surprising, he and I are exactly alike.

On the subject of parents, I drove my mom to the town my daughter got married in, she wanted to ride with me. We yakked the whole way, of course. Not sure how the subject came up, but I told her about going to the RTR in January, she got interested. Started asking lots of questions, what is it? what goes on there? how the camping is? what kind of classes? is it a group thing or your own thing? that type of stuff. Now she wants to go! lol. So you never know, my parents might show up pulling their little 12' trailer and get inducted into the 'life'. ;) Plus, she may show up here... fair warning, hehe.

Theadyn
Shame on you for infecting your parents. ;)
Skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh
I hope they do show up here and become part of the group.
And if they do go to the RTR ,they will then have an understanding of this lifestyle and not be worried about your decision to become a vandweller.

Oh boy... being gone from the Van for a while may have been a bad move.. a mouse got in her. *cries*

Decided yesterday to clear out the cobwebs in her motor and take her on a small trip to a town about 25 minutes away, Chevy was happy, she got to go. The temp wasn't going to be to bad, which was good, because... yep, the Freon has leaked out once again. Drats. But hey, it held in there for quite a while, so will just recharge for the last bit of warm weather here.

So anyways, I did notice last week while unloading my Van stuff back into her after this last trip (funny, I used a TON of stuff from my van for this cargo trailer trip.. Pammy to the rescue! lol), and found my food bin was attacked, I guess one does not leave unopened cracker packages for hungry mouse, too much of a temptation.

Yesterday, though, it was the smell, ugh!!! I CAN'T HANDLE THAT, no way, no how. Upon further searching (whilst charging up the Freon) I noticed from droppings that they had been around my bed, even on it. Noooo!!!!!!!! I never did find a nest, thank goodness, and any food that had a chance of being broken into has been removed. Went to the store and bought and set some traps, some steel wool to plug any holes I can find, and an odor absorber. After I have caught a few, a thorough washing and sterilizing will commence. Just sad I can't really take her on to trips until this is completed, I had a blast driving her yesterday.

Still sorting through the multiple pics, have only posted about Zion and a tiny bit of New Mexico so far on the blog. Still working on categorizing the pictures. With all the stuff I had to catch up on after the trip, time to do it has been a little bit low. That, and I'm still recuperating, lol. Pics coming soon, I promise. :) (or you can see the few I have up on my blog listed below, if you care to venture)

Okay.. haven't posted much, cause I haven't gone much. Why? you ask?? Well, let me enlighten... was still at war with the mouse thing. Two weeks, caught two.

This morning, though, it was going to be war!!! Today I said to heck with it! Went out there (which was when I found dead mouse #2, eww!!) and was going to unload everything, start the washing process and cleaning and such. Lo and behold, in one of my plastic bins, I found shelled sunflower seeds. Grrr!!! There were at it again. The war was SOOOO ON! Drug out all the bins, all the bedding, almost all the underneath bed stuff to start the war. Can you believe the little suckers even tried to chew through the top of the lid I had some dog food in?? A sealed plastic lid, for pete's sake! They musta been getting desperate.

So after dragging all the stuff out and putting it into the garage for now, I decided to head to the carwash and do a very thorough vacuuming. On the way, was going to toss the top 2" layer mattress topper. No way i could ever think of sleeping on that thing. Meh, it was 'too' soft with it and made me sweat a lil anyways, no big loss, I was okay with the 2 3" ones on there anyways.

Since then, she's been thoroughly vacuumed, surfaces bleached, doors left open a few hours, four traps set, poison in a corner where doggy can't get to it, and a bowl of vinegar set out to absorb smells. We'll see what happens tomorrow....

Happy hunting Lady Theadyn
Hope this is the end of it !

As Sylvester used to say , "I hate meeses to pieces"

You git 'em Theadyn! I had a rodent chop down my fresh cilantro one time. I put out a trap baited with peanut butter and was so satisfied to hear that SNAP! the next night! Do NOT steal my cilantro dude!