Theadyn's van and trip log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear you got the vehicle back. The sooner you address the inside issues, the quicker you can fix them. Not to sound negative, but if there's food or something rotting, the longer it's there the more damage most likely done. I am heading out today for some extended camping so I won't be able to find out how this ended up till later this month. Best of luck to you!

I am glad that you got it back.  Hope that everything is alright with it.

Years ago, I bought an old Class C.  As soon as I got it all fixed up, I started getting requests to borrow it.  I told them that my insurance would not cover anyone driving it but me, which was true.  I've had others wanting to borrow the van I have now, but this is my only vehicle and I don't loan it out.  If someone needs me to haul something for them, I drive.

May sound mean, but I came to that from experience.  It is okay to say no.

P.S.  You were not stupid.  They were stupid for taking advantage of your kind spirit.

Wishing you many good travels!

Never let someone borrow your home unless they are quite willing to move out of their home and let you borrow it for a while. Nah... don't loan out your home. They could buy your RV... cash in hand of course.

My daughter has discovered that several of her "friends" no longer wanted to be friends with her when they found out she couldn't take them the 75 miles (one way) to the doctor (they don't like the local doctors, the ones my daughter goes to because she can't afford to drive 75 miles one way just to see a doctor), or give them money, etc.

Her father and I did not believe in loaning friends/family money. We GAVE money if we had it. Our kids do the same. The deal was, we had money we would give it, no payback required or expected. When that other person was in a good situation and they were asked for a "loan" they could afford to give and not get back, to do so under the same terms as we gave. It is a very selfish thing. It made us feel good about helping someone without the worry of "will I ever see my money again". Plus it negated the "I owe you" embarrassment every time you saw the other person. Eventually we learned that few people really needed the money. Others just needed money to prevent them from adjusting their level of consumption. We had a friend who, when things were rough for him, we helped. When things were rough for us, he helped. Sometimes money, sometimes sweat, sometimes veggies from the garden. He was/is a real friend. Those are few and far between.

But I don't just give money to anyone (mostly because I don't have much to start with and what I do have is used to get the bus ready to leave). I do object to giving someone money who then eats out at a restaurant or buys booze/cigs. It's one thing if they forgot their money at home or forgot their lunch at home. If I have the money, I will help out. I understand things like that. Otherwise... if you ask for help, you should need the help. Doing without a luxury is not a hardship. I do without a lot of "luxuries". I'm cheap or frugal, depends on how you look at it. But don't ask me for money to buy cigs or booze. And don't beg money from me. I am not giving money to someone who drives a better car than me, wears better clothes than me and owns smartphones, etc. Harsh? Maybe. Selfish? Maybe. But I work hard for the money I make. I do without. If I need help, I either do without or I get help from my kids. I always pay my kids back. They know they can ask me for help anytime just like I know I can ask them for help.

But strangers and people that aren't my kids, I tend to freely (too freely?) give info and opinions. Time and money I have learned to be more selfish with. That is more precious to me than it is to others. Others do not know what I am not doing or doing without in order to help them. Nor is it any of their business.

Thank you guys for you kind words, it means a lot! I still can't believe someone I thought of as a friend took more advantage of it than they should have. I really want to believe there are good people in this world and was trying to be one, myself.

And yes, I totally agree with the loaning money thing.. I just don't unless I can give it. That includes family and friends.

Thank you for letting me vent here. I will try to keep the hope that people are basically good, even if this went down not so great. :)

Theadyn said:
Thank you for letting me vent here.   I will try to keep the hope that people are basically good, even if this went down not so great.   :)

Sometimes you just need to vent. I do it all the time. Sometimes I delete it before I post it and sometimes I post it even though it might not be such a great idea. Now if I could just get the sleep thing going right. I hate grief.

compassrose said:
Sometimes you just need to vent. I do it all the time. Sometimes I delete it before I post it and sometimes I post it even though it might not be such a great idea. Now if I could just get the sleep thing going right. I hate grief.

Completely understand. It's been 2 1/2 years since my hubby passed, I still cry all the time. I heard it many times, lack of sleep will not kill us.. though we feel like the walking dead.

When I remember, I take an over the counter med from Walgreens called Sleep Aid II.. it's diphenhydramine, same stuff that's in Benedryl, without the drying out effects. It does help a lot. Take care.

Bela said:
P.S.  You were not stupid.  They were stupid for taking advantage of your kind spirit.

Wishing you many good travels!

I still feel pretty dumb right now.. thank you for this, though. :)

FYI, Bendadryl is diphenhydramine and the effects are the same whether it's generic or proprietary. 

Theadyn, so glad you got your van back. What a mess, so sorry you had to go through that. I hope the inside isn't as bad as your imagination. :) Maybe your daughter could take a peek for you?

Got a ride to my van today. It wasn't as trashed as I had feared, thank goodness, and I don't think anything is missing. Well.. about a half a tank of gas. Lesson learned. But it is at home and seems to haven't suffered any mishaps. :)

Rain, rain, rain... and more rain. At least the lakes are happy. :) Broke down and bought a few things for my birthday a few days back. A male to male 12v plug to recharge my jumper pack, a 12v extender plug, some no see um netting, a book, and rain guards for the front windows. Have to wait, it's looking like it's gonna be a while, before the rain lets up enough to put on the rain guards.

Still waiting on finalization of rv sale. The buyers were going with a house refi to buy it, it's at underwriting now so it shouldn't be too much longer. It's okay that it took a while for them, as I believe there is a reason I wasn't supposed to be on the road so quick. No worries from me.

Still unsure of where I'll go just yet, am trying to plan routes, but the north east has me intimidated. Have 18 books downloaded on my iPad ready and a few paperbacks. Have some shelf stable food ready. Have menu planned. Have the pee-thing figured out which I don't know whether to post here, lol.

Things to do before I head out: buy more hula dolls. attach screen to back windows and figure out something for front windows. get oil changed and tires inspected. hunt down that long metal rod used to lower your spare tire under the van in case of flat (whatever that is called). make sure everything needing charged is charged and all charging wires are packed. cook at least one meal inside to make sure I'm not missing anything needed to cook with. Rearrange under bed for more efficiency. Possibly rearrange bins to free up some space.

That's all for now. :)

getting the little things you need along the way is a lot of fun you are not likely to think of everything so don't worry plenty of stores where you are going... good luck..

Ok, I read through all 8 pages and looked at the dates and realized you are in the OKC area and trapped by the month long May Hurricane you and Texas are having...

My daughter and g kids live in OKC (barely) actual closer to Del City. Anyway the amount of rain they've had, like 18 inches in May, is wild!

Hope your rv roof did t leak (what a test) and it gets sold.

I'm on my way up north to get away from AZ heat. It's raining here in NM as I type this at a McD's, with more rain on the way up I-25... Oh well.

Your redoing of the conversion van looks good, only question for you is the legality of window tint on the passenger front windows... Well, if it is 5%, it's definitely not legal in AZ on either front window Be careful about that... Does it make the van too dark or "caves" inside?

Good luck.

dusty98 said:
Ok, I read through all 8 pages and looked at the dates and realized you are in the OKC area and trapped by the month long May Hurricane you and Texas are having...

My daughter and g kids live in OKC (barely) actual closer to Del City. Anyway the amount of rain they've had, like 18 inches in May, is wild!

Hope your rv roof did t leak (what a test) and it gets sold.

I'm on my way up north to get away from AZ heat. It's raining here in NM as I type this at a McD's, with more rain on the way up I-25... Oh well.

Your redoing of the conversion van looks good, only question for you is the legality of window tint on the passenger front windows... Well, if it is 5%, it's definitely not legal in AZ on either front window Be careful about that... Does it make the van too dark or "caves" inside?

Good luck.

Yeah, the rain has been pretty wild here. Our little town in western OK even made the news on the flooding. And nary a leak in the rv, woot!! Am hoping to have that gone this week. OKC's surrounding areas has been having it's run with tornadoes, that's for sure. Hope your kids stay safe!

The tinting, I told them to put what was the darkest legal they could put on there. And since the owner/person I said this to knows what I'm doing with it, ie. taking off all over US, I'm just gonna put faith that he put legal for everywhere up there. It's definitely not as dark as the back tint, although it looks pretty dark in that side picture I have, lol.

Yeah, with the dark tint, reflectix and front windscreens up, it is kind of cave-like, but that's soothing to me sometimes. If it gets too much that means I need to get my rear outside, I suppose. :)

It's distinctly darker looking than AZ allows, we are 20% on driver and passenger windows. Many vehicles here have the dark all over, cops just have an easy excuse to pull you over. However, in their defense, if they cannot see what you are doing when they walk up, they are bound to be very cautious...

See my post on getting pulled over for seemingly minor things... But then if not your tint, it will be something they make up.

Hope the RV sells soon. I'd stay away from Texas for awhile or we will see you on the TV news floating down the Brazos river and not in a rubber raft either!

[img=640x480]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-JPNPfMZb_pU/VViUYCs3P0I/AAAAAAAAArE/SlINc8kumQ4/s1600/IMG_0112.JPG[/img]

That's me and my kid driving down the main highway in Corpus Christi, TX  (dang sis took that while she was driving beside us).  My window is up, daughters is down.  You can see her arm through the tint, so hopefully it doesn't look too terribly dark.   :)   

I guess if they are gonna find any excuse to pull me over, will just be polite about it all.  Not much else I can do about it.  Will hope for the best :D