Theadyn's van and trip log

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
decodancer said:
Glad to hear that you're moving forward with your plans!  Love the van and agree with Curbmaster, bolt down the desk.  Even a drawer coming out could really hurt a pet.  I had a old tv come loose from a bungee and club me in the head going off a interstate ramp, no fun let me tell you.   Hook and eyes are cheap and work well for the drawers especially those with the little lock on them.  Best of luck to you, Kathleen

:)  that reminded me of a TV I had fly out of a bungee going over a railroad crossing, making a big dent in my floor, every time I see that dent I kick myself for ever buying that stupid tv.

flying kurbmaster said:
:)  that reminded me of a TV I had fly out of a bungee going over a railroad crossing, making a big dent in my floor, every time I see that dent I kick myself for ever buying that stupid tv.

Great looking van.I see you are from Ok.If you are ever over in North Ar. and need a place to brush up for a few days,just let me know.Me and Vic and Molly(the Az pooch)would welcome you.Again,the van is looking good!

Oh Happy Day! FINALLY got the title in. :) Didn't get it til after the tag agency closed, so Monday I'll finally be able to get my tags and title work taken care of. Then it will be time to take off, yay!!

Will be taking about a week to visit places and people in Texas. Am excited to see how the motor does. The weather will be very agreeable. Not so sure about the crowds, as it will probably be around the time some will be out for spring break and one of the places is a always busy around spring break time, traffic might not be fun around then. Oh wells. :)

I've been an over planner in the past. Really trying to relax this time around. Have a general idea of where to go, no schedule, and make it enjoyable. Let's see how this works out, haha. :) Least this first trip is just the next state over and will only be for a week and will have family available should problems arise. The daughter is excited as well. More later...

Yeehaw!

Let the journey begin... :D

I was beginning to think you were never going to see that title without a court battle.

Have fun, write often!

Almost There said:
Yeehaw!

Let the journey begin... :D

I was beginning to think you were never going to see that title without a court battle.

Have fun, write often!

Same here!! I was about to drive the two hours to his car lot and be a big ole butt, lol. He was 'supposed' to call me when he certified mailed it... that was 2 weeks ago. No call. Yesterday after 5pm in the mail box was a letter addressed to me, no certified mail, and no phone call, but it is in hand, notorized, in my name and dated late enough I won't be stuck with a small penalty, so I am cool. :)

Or it was gonna be I was gonna have to drive those 2 hours from here Monday with my tiny badass daughter in tow that decimated him the last time we were there... I have a kid and I am not afraid to use her!! haha...

(which reminds me, I should write a blog post about the time at the movie theatre and someone hurt her mom... :) )

Van is in the shop again... Getting A/C fixed. Should be heading out early next week for the first part of my trip. So excited!!

Got the van back from the shop. The A/C needed a recharge and they had to get some gunk out of the vents. Apparently some mud duabers (sp?) took up residence there for a short time. They also changed out my sometimes faulty cigarette lighter plug, which is good as that will be used a lot to charge up things down the road.

An unexpected thing happened when I went to pick it up. The previous day I was told it was going to cost about $450ish. Crap. :( But I know I am a wimp and spring is here. When I got there, however, he told me it wasn't as bad as he thought.. then asked if I was married to John, my late hubby. He knew him. Was telling me how much he liked him and was sorry he had passed. Then cut me a deal on the work done, almost $200 less than what was quoted the day before. Nearly had me crying in the office.

Am expecting to head out tomorrow or Tuesday, depending on if I get stuff ready today. :)

Seems like your late husband was well liked and respected. Could also look at it as he's still looking out for you. Let the adventure begin. I'm looking forward to the updates.

Cheers

I always love hearing stories about honest, good hearted mechanics. We usually only hear about the crooks. Being a plumber I can relate. We get a bad rap because of a few bad eggs. So glad your van is coming along and you're still hitting the road after the loss of a loved one. It takes bravery to follow your dreams. If you end up in Colorado and need a hand, or a place to park just send me a PM. We have plenty of space.

Well made the first trip, over 1400 miles, and still kickin'!!

Things I have discovered:
-I need some more cushion on the bed. It wasn't terrible, and I slept in it every night for 9 nights, but I did notice the hard plywood while lying on my side. Should be easy fix, just another layer of foam topper should work.
-Driving continuously is exhausting! Went with the daughter, and she just wanted to go, go, go. No stopping to check out things, she had her own agenda. So did my parents. So did my sis. I was just there, apparently. Lesson learned: Go alone, and don't plan on all your days with people that will take over your agenda.
-Having your vehicle die once when you stop makes for a nervous driver when coming to a stop after that. Didn't happen again, but it was always at the back of my mind.
-Don't trust someone with dyscalculia with the map and driving directions, lol! (It's like dyslexic, but with numbers) Poor kid, had me take 4 wrong turns and lots of out of the way side trips. Was all good, we didn't have a schedule and saw some things we might not have before.
-Didn't use the kitchen area much at all. I made tea a few mornings, but that was the extent of my using the cook stove. We were fed by others a lot, so I know this was unusual, and won't be like that every trip. Other times we ate dried or fresh. We did not miss any refrigeration, only opting to get something cold occasionally while using the restrooms at a few places, making it a treat. Kept plenty of water on hand.
-I took way more food than I needed.
-Getting your clothes out from under the bed was a hassle. Will be rethinking storage to make it easier.
-You can sleep two adults and two doggies comfortably in a bed crosswise at the back.
-You can charge just about everything we had to charge while driving all day.
-You can power a 12v fan to keep you cool all night from a jumper pack successfully, plus the noise of the fan drowned out other noise.
-You can sleep in a Walmart parking lot that isn't open 24 hours without having your window knocked on.
-Stress of driving and mechanical issues can cause the need for the emergency potty in the middle of the night. Very thankful I had it.
-There are decent people that are out there that will help for no reason. Older gentleman at the gas pump noticed something leaking from under the van at the same time I did, and laid on the ground with me to see what it was, then told me where I needed to go to have it looked at. (tiny gas leak at the top of the tank when I filled it.. mechanic said just don't fill it, lol)
-I got 15.7 mpg while doing 60-65 mph on the times I did fill up to check it.
-Some down time or 'me' time is absolutely important to maintain sanity, at least for me. Others don't like you hiding out in your van, even if you do.
-Having someone doing most of the return drive home can be a blessing.
-The beach is still crowded. But, hanging out while having to kill some time with a fan blowing the ocean breeze, seagulls singing, and a movie going was pretty dang closed to heaven.
-You appreciate long hot showers more.
-San Antonio at 5 o/clock can kiss my hiney! Over an hour in bumper to bumper was not cool.
-Your A/C might not last the whole trip. :(
-The van has seats that have zero lumbar support. Even my daughter was hurting after a bit. I already have a lumbar thingy in my car I will try on it's next trip.
-Your doggy might get sick and you need to find a walk-in vet place, and they will probably wayyyy overcharge you. :(
-Texas is way too big, lol!!

I did get to spread some ashes on a canal my hubby used to drive his boat to go fishing down from our house. Would have preferred to be alone, I don't like people seeing me cry. But it was the reason I was down there, and the place was pretty far from both places I was staying, so hands were tied on that one. I was having my dad drive the van to give me his opinion on it, so him, mom, me and the kid all hopped in it that day, and we wound up there. Really, really hate crying in front of people.

My daughter opted to leave a hula doll with a note at the beach a few blocks from my sis's place. Believe it or not, a guy I worked with for 4 years down there went to high school with the girl who found it. Small world!! She wrote on my blog, is going to put it on her dash. :)

There's a ton I haven't thought about, I'm sure. And pictures, of course!! Right now I'm just still recuperating, lol. Might take a week or more to get over that trip. I've been chillin' the last two days. Too much go go go and people non-stop in your face makes for a wore out Pammy, I tell ya!! :)

But I did do the first state. :)

Glad to hear you're back safe and sound!

Travelling with others is very much a learning experience isn't it...I learned mostly not to do it... :D

It's either that or learn to be a bossy witch and make everyone do things on YOUR schedule :angel:

Re-listed my RV today. I had listed it back in January, got a few inquiries, didn't sell. I didn't really push it cause I didn't want it listed really with me being gone, so I held off pushing it or relisting. Took some better pics this time, I hope, and dropped the price a bit. It went live about 5pm and had 2 calls already by 6:30pm. Let's hope...

Here's the listing: http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/rvs/4965138706.html

I actually worked with a guy that went to highschool with the person that found the hula doll... she is going to put it on her dash.

I have no idea how he found this out.. I am speechless

Nice job on the listing and photos -- best wishes it will sell quickly!

Latest posts