The Simple $5.00 Solar Oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several out of ovens, will have to measure. I have a couple out of toaster ovens, much smaller. also I have a few grates off of gas stoves(cast iron). if any one is interested let me know, I recycle this stuff, so it just goes to scrap but if anybody needs one let me know, free to anybody on this site. highdesertranger

I purchased a Solar Flare parabolic solar cooker a while back, and the "cooking vessel" that came with it was nothing more than a 1-quart Ball Mason jar, painted flat black on the outside. I would imagine that the paint they use is formulated to be heat-resistant, but it may simply be flat black spray paint one could buy at any hardware store.

Super cool thread. Does anyone bake bread in a solar oven? I have had trouble finding recipes for that.

CrazySister said:
Super cool thread. Does anyone bake bread in a solar oven? I have had trouble finding recipes for that.

Go to the website "Frugalsquirrels_dot_com", they are masters of off-grid cooking. Lots of excellent info over there.

A little late in the posting game for this thread but I used black stove paint on my aluminum pot I use with my alcohol stove. I have also used it on stainless. It is rated for high temps. Got it at home depot in the paint section.

I don't have a picture of it but we use to set our big black enameled coffee pot on the edge of the wash basin and aim it at the sun. A hour for water warm enough to wash up with, two hours and you had to add cool water to do dishes. Here is a site with a lot of solar cooker plans.

http://solarcooking.org/plans/

Latest posts