The Simple $5.00 Solar Oven

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akblack10

Reaction score
I made a $5.00, Dollar Store Solar Oven and tested it today for lunch! It worked out really well!

http://www.apocketfullofwanderlust.com/2014/01/the-500-dollar-solar-oven.html

vgst.jpg

2rib.jpg

Give it a try, an awesome way to cook!

-AK

Very nice, that was going to be my next test oven as well. I actually bought a cast iron dutch oven to be placed in the window shade.

Very cool... I'm hungry now

Van-Tramp, Thanks, you were the one who gave me the idea to test a DIY Oven. I like to save money when I can! Your box oven was cool!

slow2day, the oven got up to 260 degrees! I have a small digital thermometer to check the internal meat temp and it was over 200 by the time I got around to testing it… plenty hot enough to cook ground turkey!

If anyone else has a cool set-up please share!

-AK

I had something similar a while back and didn't even use the clear plastic - just put a large black pot with a clear lid in the middle. I cooked up rice-a-roni just fine on a hot sunny day.

Reducto, thanks for sharing! I hope more people share their solar cooking set ups.
-AK

My big problem so far has been finding black cookware and a grate. Any bricks and mortar stores you guys can recommend?

Darth_Muerte, You don't absolutely need black cookware. Try it with just what you have, it should work fine. As far as a rack goes, any big box stores should have them or just use a few steel cans to set the cookware on, the purpose of the rack is to get the food up off of the reflector, allowing the heat to be more easily distributed around the food, just like the racks in a conventional oven!
-AK

I know I don't have to have black cookware, it just seems it would be the most efficient. I cook stuff now by putting a can in the windshield with a reflective sunshade like the ones shown. The food can get quite warm just with that. The downside being that I can't park in the shade then. I would like to try to minimize cook time while leaving my van under a nice shade tree. I would also prefer to have a rack, but again recognize that it is not an absolute necessity. I have looked in wally world for the rack/black cookware. My main issue there seems to be that I don't want the "non-stick" cookware they generally sell. I would really like some black stainless steel cookware. I am probably asking for too much.

akblack10 said:
Your box oven was cool!

Nice oxymoron!!

(it wouldn't work if it was 'cool'!!) :D Haha!

I love this solar cooker idea, and think I'm gonna give it a go myself. Great job AK!!

Darth, you could take acouple of empty tin cans, turn 'em over and cut them so they have legs, and put your food on those. (I love re-inventing things using recycled junk.)

Patrick46 said:
Darth, you could take acouple of empty tin cans, turn 'em over and cut them so they have legs, and put your food on those. (I love re-inventing things using recycled junk.)
LOL, that would definitely work for the "rack". I need to look for an old coffee can I guess.

Darth_Muerte said:
My big problem so far has been finding black cookware and a grate.
Wal Mart. Look for 'graniteware'. Very thin pots (perfect for solar) and they only come in dark colors. Look in the kitchen or camping section, it is usually found in both.

Granite wear? Ok. Thanks. I will look for them.

ETA: Just googled it. That is almost exactly what I had in mind. Thanks.

You're welcome.

I made a $5 solar cooker setup for experimenting awhile back and learned 2 things:
- Use THIN walled, dark pots like Graniteware if possible.
- If you are not an early riser, don't even attempt to cook large quantities of food in a single pot, even in summer. :D

Patrick46 and Unchained, Thanks for contributing to the post!
-AK

I only use black dishes in my Global Sun Oven. The laws of Physics are pretty clear that black metal absorbs heat better than light colored metals, and silver metal reflects heat very well. That why you line your reflectors with aluminum foil because sliver metal reflects the heat down into the oven. In exactly the same way silver pots/pans reflect heat away from the inside of the pan--NOT GOOD!

I've had good luck finding the perfect sized black pots/pan in thrift stores. I always check out the cook ware looking for them.
Bob

gold is the best reflector, if you can find a gold foil windshield blocker that would be the best.. notice most coverings that NASA uses is made of gold foil. not silver.

I replaced the old stove in my kitchen with a better second hand model and just signed the old one up for pick-up by the local scrap dealer. Before I let him take it though, I removed the racks and all four burner grates. I think one of those burner grates might work very well in place of a rack. A bit on the heavy side, but once I get my solar oven built I will try it. Also, for those looking for wire racks, check out the baking section in stores that have them and look for "cooling racks", a lot of them have little fold out feet or at least built in ones that will bring your pot off the floor of the solar oven.

does anybody need grates. I have several now and have a semi steady supply. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
does anybody need grates. I have several now and have a semi steady supply. highdesertranger

That's a very kind offer HDR. If I'm in So Cal in the near future I might take you up on your offer if it's still available. I used to live in SD and Laguna Beach many years ago. Still have a friend down there.

Are they small like a cookie sheet rack/grate or large like a fire grate?