The only stove you'll ever need

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoNiE

Reaction score
Here!

416XZuFBLlL.jpg

That grill looks really nice, great reviews on it. Only thing holding me back is the weight 21 lbs :-/

would be nice to have an extra $80. my coleman has a grill pan.

ZoNiE said:

100% agree, i've had 1 for a year now and love it
i took 2 gate handles and added them to the side for easy moving

i can pick it up after cooking even if it's hot  ... 
i also found a grill grate that fits on top with the griddle removed that allows me to put a coffee pot or pan on top to heat water
and added longer legs so i can level is easy ( it's just screw legs so easy to adjust )
then a nice plastic storage box for storage and your good to go

awesome grill .... btw i ordered mine at ace hardware

Iwatani portable stoves are very light but durable, especially their pricier higher-BTU catering/hotel units.

I've seen grill plates designed to fit them via Japan on eBay.

Yes designed to be self-contained using the little $1 butane bottles you get from Asian groceries, but adapters are readily available to feed them from US-standard propane fittings.

I have a cast iron griddle that fits my two burner coleman propane stove like it was made for it. Actually have a teflon griddle that fits it too, but I hate teflon so I rarely use it. Quite the versatile set up.

This one is heavy, yes, but looks like it is easy to keep clean.

Heavy, single purpose griddle (that can be modified into a stove)...doesn't sound too 'van friendly' to me.
Standard propane camp stove is more practical...just add reversible griddle/grill of cast iron or aluminum. About the same total cost.

I'm with Johnny here, Have a Coleman two burner stove and cast Iron skillet. Skillet works just like that does yet it of course usable for many other foods.

+2 on the Coleman 2 burner stove.  Mine is from the '50s; I can still get repair parts.  My cast iron skillet is multi-use, wavy bottomed cast iron skillet for grilling.

A backpacker can never have one stove.  The little ones don't balance a big skillet very well, the big ones are too big & heavy to carry.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
+2 on the Coleman 2 burner stove.  Mine is from the '50s; I can still get repair parts.  My cast iron skillet is multi-use, wavy bottomed cast iron skillet for grilling.

A backpacker can never have one stove.  The little ones don't balance a big skillet very well, the big ones are too big & heavy to carry.

-- Spiff

+3   the one the OP showed looked nice,  but just don't think I need it.

What stove would any of you recommend to someone who doesn't want to carry propane with them on the road?

If you don't want to carry propane I think your choices are electric or charcoal grill. Electric will require a large solar set up, generator, or shore power.

CityWoman said:
What stove would any of you recommend to someone who doesn't want to carry propane with them on the road?

A solar oven and a lot of clear skys

Alcohol is great for smaller quantities, very small backpacker setups, or homemade from a Coke can.

Just don't refill while it's hot!