The only stove you'll ever need

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google 'camp wood stove'.....lots of options. The small ones will burn twigs and/or small chunks of wood.

But, a small butane or propane stove using the small burners are easy, simple, and with common sense, very safe.

Wood's OK as an option, but too much acreage too many months, no outdoor fires allowed, plus when it's raining, or in built-up areas.

Iwatani single plus picking up $1 butane packs at Asian groceries works great, self-contained, support a big pot or wok when needed, grills and griddles available.

I've even got Mongolian-style BBQ domes that fit, makes for a great party inside or out.

If you don't want propane, the next best thing is a white gas backpackers stove.

OPTIMUS-SVEA-WHITE-GAS-STOVE.jpg

SVEA

Coleman makes a cheaper one, and there are a few others, but the Svea is the best. Used to use one when I was a boy scout.

CityWoman said:
What stove would any of you recommend to someone who doesn't want to carry propane with them on the road?

The Coleman 2-burner stove mentioned uses liquid white gas.  You pump the fuel tank to pressurize (and can release the pressure when done). There are a wide variety of backpacking and car camping stoves that burn white gas.  Fuel widely available and can be purchased in quart or gallon metal cans or plastic containers.

A lot of boaters use diesel stoves.  'Cause they have diesel engines, so they only carry one fuel.

There are kerosene stoves, both backpacking and kitchen.  They are harder to start.  Burning kerosene can have a slight smell.  It gives me a headache in an enclosed area.    Kerosene evaporate very slowly so don't spill it indoors.

Some backpacker stoves use multi-fuels: white gas, unleaded gas, kerosene.  Again, you provide the pressure.  Great when you don't know what fuel will be available.  Kerosene is available almost anywhere in the world.

A lot of backpackers like alcohol stoves.  It can be an expensive stove or a free home-made one.  Fuel readily available.  Provides less heat per volume than other fuels so don't get a stove that is too small for what you cook.

It is possible to run an inductive cook tops with solar in a camper.

Charcoal is harmful to use indoors, don't consider using one.

Wood burning stoves will be problematic in burning ban areas.  Finding wood can be easy or hard or impossible.  Collecting wood in some treeless areas is unlawful.

Solar stoves depend on having sun.  Great in Arizona, not so good on the Oregon coast.

I have used liquid white gas stoves for over 60 years without problem or accident.  A white gas stove would be my recommendation.  I can't be more specific without knowing your use.

-- Spiff

ZoNiE said:
If you don't want propane, the next best thing is a white gas backpackers stove.

OPTIMUS-SVEA-WHITE-GAS-STOVE.jpg

SVEA

Coleman makes a cheaper one, and there are a few others, but the Svea is the best. Used to use one when I was a boy scout.

The venerable Svea. I had one when in scouts and for many years afterward. Switched to a MSR Whisperlight International. Great memories. ..Willy.

Spaceman Spiff, that was a very helpful post - thank you.

I'm not on the road yet, just gathering info to prepare. So, I have no idea what I would want to use, what kind of cooking I'll be doing, nor how often I'll even need a stove. I don't even know what "white gas" is. I've never been a camper or backpacker, and plan on being more of a small town and urban nomad.

From what little I've read here and there, I like the idea of an alcohol stove. The idea of propane just unnerves me. Someone on the skoolie forum is still recovering from a propane explosion that happened while converting his rig, and he described it as a huge ball of fire that engulfed him. I think it was a leak he wasn't aware of. But I had already decided I don't want to travel with propane. It would only make me a more nervous driver than I am already.

CityWoman said:
... I don't even know what "white gas" is.

CW, 'white gas' is just Coleman Campfuel...(or generic versions)...it's a lighter and much cleaner burning version of fuel somewhat similar to gasoline...but not for use in engines since it has no additives that modern gasoline engines need, like octane.

Some camping appliances you might see are 'dual-fuel' meaning that the lantern or stove can burn either 'white gas' or regular (unleaded) gasoline, and used outdoors of course.

You can buy it in one gallon cans at most camping supply and some big box stores.

CityWoman said:
Someone on the skoolie forum is still recovering from a propane explosion that happened while converting his rig, and he described it as a huge ball of fire that engulfed him.

Propane is very safe if used with a large dose of common sense, and caring about the safety measures involved.

That 25 or 30 gallons of gasoline under your floorpan in the gas tank can be much more dangerous...and we all know when fueling our vehicles that we should not be smoking, jumping in and out of the vehicle when fueling, leaving the gas flowing and walking away, or talking on a cellphone...and most of us go thru a lifetime of this hazard and never have a problem.

It's the same thing with propane....millions of us use it everyday and never have an issue.

But of course, everyone has to set their own boundaries.

:cool:

well I can almost guaranty that for every propane fuel accident there are at least 5 liquid fuel accidents. I see liquid fuel much more dangerous then propane. but that's up to you. I would research it a bit more. highdesertranger

Any leaking fuel can cause problems. I'm thinking of a one-burner alcohol marine stove (denatured alcohol) for one of my stoves. Personally, I plan on having at least two different kinds for different conditions, but that's just me.

See this CRVL video where she talks about her marine alcohol stove: If you're in a hurry, go to 6:00 for the stove part.

One other thing is to get a cookbook for one pot cooking. I would start my meal before I started driving for the day and by lunch it was ready. Think beef stew or egg casserole. It always smelled great while I drove.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Gypsy Clipper said:
One other thing is to get a cookbook for one pot cooking. I would start my meal before I started driving for the day and by lunch it was ready. Think beef stew or egg casserole. It always smelled great while I drove.

You can view the One Pot Chef books here. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/onepotchef

One stove and one stove only ... forever! Hmmm ...

1946 civilian issue one burner "G.I. Pocket Stove". Stock they will burn;white gas, gasoline, diesel, liquid parafin, rendered fat, vegeatable oils, and I have heard tales of using them with alcohol and even calcium carbide and water.

Oh, and you can beat a Nazi to death with one. :)

After the war they (coleman) made some small modifications and included some neat features on the commercial ones that the US Army issue Coleman made Pocket Stoves did not. Like a little funnel on a chain. So cute.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Boyntonstu said:
Alcohol soda cans are another way to cook . . . Hotter, cheaper, lighter than propane or 12V,

Methanol (liquid) & air - maximum temperature = 1870ºC, 10,000 BTU per pound
Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) & air - max temp = 1920ºC, 12,500 BTU per pound
Butane & air - max temp = 1977ºC, 21,000 BTU per pound
Propane & air - max temp = 1977ºC, 21,500 BTU per pound
Gasoline & air - max temp = 2140ºC, 15,000 BTU per pound

Denatured alcohol is ethanol with poisons added.  World Health Organization lists it as unsafe to burn indoors.  Should be only used for cooking outdoors or in a very well ventilated area.  Ethanol is much more expensive (purity and alcohol tax) and is usually only found in stores with liquor licenses or licensed supply vendors for laboratories and manufacturing.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
Methanol (liquid) & air - maximum temperature = 1870ºC, 10,000 BTU per pound
Ethanol (ethyl alcohol) & air - max temp = 1920ºC, 12,500 BTU per pound
Butane & air - max temp = 1977ºC, 21,000 BTU per pound
Propane & air - max temp = 1977ºC, 21,500 BTU per pound
Gasoline & air - max temp = 2140ºC, 15,000 BTU per pound

Denatured alcohol is ethanol with poisons added.  World Health Organization lists it as unsafe to burn indoors.  Should be only used for cooking outdoors or in a very well ventilated area.  Ethanol is much more expensive (purity and alcohol tax) and is usually only found in stores with liquor licenses or licensed supply vendors for laboratories and manufacturing.

-- Spiff

Look at about 12:00

[video=youtube]