The One Best cooking appliance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found out that not all butane stoves are created equal!

Mine came from K&B Tools in Quartzite - it's an 'Alpha' brand and black in color. Marilyn has a red 'Camp Chef' that she bought off the internet.

Mine has been totally reliable, hers' has been nothing but trouble!

The main problem being the latch mechanism that holds the butane canister in place. A lot of fiddling with the lock mechanism was needed each time a new can was put in to place. As of yesterday, the only way to operate the latch mechanism is to assist it into the lock position while the canister of butane is sitting on the counter, then slide the nozzle in to place and quickly shove the canister bottom end it past the doohickey that holds that end of the can in place....trust me, no other method of installing the can works. Both of us are quite edumucated in arm-wrestling offending appliances... :D :D The latch mechanism is not broken it's just so cheaply made that it won't slide in it's own tracks.

Bob, would that single burner you suggested work with that folding oven?

We must have our brownies, ya know!

galladanb said:
Bob, would that single burner you suggested work with that folding oven?

We must have our brownies, ya know!

I understand that craving all to well!!!

I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine that it would hold it--too small. My Coleman 1 burner barely holds it and it is much bigger. I hadn't thought of that, so I'll try it while I'm here to know if it works.

But, you could NOT use it safely with the butane canisters as they would be under the oven and would overheat

There are lots of extension adapters that let you relocate the canister away from the stove.

Best are the tripod ones that ensure the keyed slot remains in the correct position for safety.

Or just convert to propane.

Almost There said:
I just found out that not all butane stoves are created equal!
The Iwatani line from Japan is excellent.

35FW is for hotels, caterers, higher output and more robust than the householder models.

Cans < $1 in packs from local Asian groceries.

Txjaybird said:
Is that a sterno cooker or what?

Jewellann

It's a Trangia.  It runs on denatured alcohol.

I have used it nearly every day for several years to cook my breakfast in the morning and my dinners at night.  Just saying.

John61CT said:
Alcohol, low BTUs, only last a few minutes, used for hikers & mountaineers to minimize weight, good to boil up drinks and prefab meals.

Uh, not exactly.  It's a Trangia.  It holds enough alcohol to last an hour or more depending on whether you're cooking or simmering.  I've used it nearly every day for several years to cook my breakfasts and dinners.

Yes, the BTU's are lower than other fuels.  But the fuel is safer in many ways than others.  Also produces much less carbon monoxide than other fuels in confined spaces.

incomplete burning of any fuel, except pure hydrogen, produces carbon monoxide. be sure to have ventilation for make-up oxygen.

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of the Kelly Kettle.
They say you can use most combustible material you find laying around, twigs, dried leaves, etc. I have found that charcoal briquets work great. I demoed mine for a friend once, cooking hotdogs in the pan on top while boiling water at the same time. The water boiled in less than two minutes. I timed it.
My friend was super impressed. :)
Their website Kelly Kettle
video here
https://youtu.be/246PRkfp_wI

It would seem even Nut n Fancy likes the Kelly Kettle.

DwelledLongAgo said:
Uh, not exactly.  It's a Trangia.  It holds enough alcohol to last an hour or more depending on whether you're cooking or simmering.  I've used it nearly every day for several years to cook my breakfasts and dinners.

Yes, the BTU's are lower than other fuels.  But the fuel is safer in many ways than others.  Also produces much less carbon monoxide than other fuels in confined spaces.

I second this--I've been using a homemade alcohol stove to cook in the van for almost two years now. 

There are many reasons why I prefer to use an alcohol stove rather than a propane or kerosene camping stove. Alcohol is much safer to use as a fuel in a confined place like a van than propane or kerosene. Denatured alcohol burns more cleanly and produces less smoke or fumes. If you spill it, it usually just burns off without setting whatever it’s on aflame. Alcohol stoves are also smaller and cheaper to use—propane stoves require canisters, which take up room in the van and are kind of pricey, and also have to be replaced pretty often. My alcohol stove is smaller than a hockey puck, and I can store it along with fuel and all my cooking equipment in a small plastic bin tucked away on a shelf. And alcohol stoves require no connecting hoses, nothing to hook up or install, and no moving parts to wear out or get lost. Just pour in a half ounce or so of alcohol, light it with a barbecue firestarter, and you’re cooking. My stove will boil a pint or so of water in about ten minutes.

How much do you need to cook a gallon of chili from scratch say for a good hour?

Without having to stop to refill and restart, is that even possible with the Trangia? Are there larger capacity stoves?

John61CT said:
How much do you need to cook a gallon of chili from scratch say for a good hour?

Without having to stop to refill and restart, is that even possible with the Trangia? Are there larger capacity stoves?

Well, that's not what an alcohol stove is for.

I use mine for cooking soup or spaghetti-o's, right in the can, and to boil water for hot dogs, ramen, minute rice, whatever. I also have a micro-frying pan for making eggs. The alcohol stove does just fine for that.

When i want chili (or steak, or whatever) I go to a restaurant.  ;)

John61CT said:
when I need my morning cuppa, need it **now** :cool:

Agreed.  It's Jetboil stove time for me at that point.

Otherwise I use a Coleman 502 single burner liquid fueled stove, AKA "white gas".  Best stove ever made for non-backpacking uses.  Need two burners?  Carry two,  I do.  Redundant parts that way, seems kind of silly as I have never had one fail me.  It it not possible to make a 502 go out when adjusting for simmer as it takes a different valve to turn the stove on/off than to adjust the stove, brilliant.

Fuel is very cheap, at under $8/gallon for Crown fuel at wally world these days.  Crown fuel is every bit as good as the overpriced Coleman fuel, as far as I can tell. 

In '07 I went on a five week road trip.  I cooked for myself three times a day at least 95% of the time.  Made lots of coffee, didn't have a Jetboil then.   Went thru less than a quart and a half of fuel.  Used an extra windscreen to supplement the very good standard windscreen.  My GSI hard ano pressure cooker with the MSR heat exchanger is wicked efficient.

There is always a bunch of Coleman 502's on ebay.  The best ones are from the '60's & early 70's.  A good one can be gotten for $40 or less shipped.

Given the different needs of each of us, the different foods we prefer, the different ways needed to cook these foods..... there is no "one best" cooking system.

The best cooking system is when you can afford to pay someone else cook it lol

Not sure if this fits but I like a pressure cooker. Microwave times almost and more convenient.

Rob

lenny flank said:
Well, that's not what an alcohol stove is for.

I use mine for cooking soup or spaghetti-o's, right in the can, and to boil water for hot dogs, ramen, minute rice, whatever. I also have a micro-frying pan for making eggs. The alcohol stove does just fine for that.

When i want chili (or steak, or whatever) I go to a restaurant.  ;)

Thank you for confirming my impression, and my condolences.

I cook delicious multi-course meals from scratch every day for up to a dozen hungry mouths, most of whom are growing children need their fresh veggies.

And any healthy food prepared otherwise isn't in the budget, one (cheap) restaurant meal per month as a special treat is our limit.

Iwatani's and campfires for the win. . .

Osiyo!  Hey, if you're looking for cookware, I just put something on my wish list from Lehman's Hardware, (Lehman's is a big thing here in Amish Country & they have an online catalog).  It's called a double-Dutch oven.  Very heavy duty cast iron, with a Dutch oven bottom, & a lid that can also be used as a skillet.  Seems like the only pot you'd ever need.

John61CT said:
Thank you for confirming my impression, and my condolences.

I cook delicious multi-course meals from scratch every day for up to a dozen hungry mouths, most of whom are growing children need their fresh veggies.

And any healthy food prepared otherwise isn't in the budget, one (cheap) restaurant meal per month as a special treat is our limit.

Iwatani's and campfires for the win. . .

No condolences necessary.  ;)  I regularly eat everything from steak to Chinese to whatever else strikes my fancy, including the local specialties from wherever I happen to be (I liked New Mexico's green chili cheeseburgers, and of course Texas has the best barbecue in the world). My stove is only for those evenings when I'm in the van early and just want something quick and easy. 

For me, the van isn't a place to live and cook--it's just a place to sleep and a way to get from one city to another as i travel.

But of course everyone has their own priorities and methods.  :)