The One Best cooking appliance?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TxLady said:
If you could only have one cooking tool/appliance that is not propane fueled and is not a microwave, what would it be?  What is the most versatile all-around thing to cook/heat a wide variety of foods with the least amount of electricity or other fuel?  Single burner butane camp stove? Something like a JetBoil?  The RoadPro lunchbox oven?  The small lunch-size crock pot?  In my research I've discovered there is a myriad of options.  I'm looking for recommendations from actual people with experience that aren't Amazon reviewers.

This:

41d9tYSe2BL._SX300_.jpg

Van-Tramp said:
keep in mind that a lot of propane filling locations have a minimum charge.
To be avoided when possible. Farm places like Tractor Supply are great.

But in practice, I rarely pay to fill my (yes very convenient) 1# bottles, usually do those myself out in the field from the bigger tank.

Which could be a 10# if I were weak, but stock BBQ size likely best for most.

I have a 2 burner propane that I expect to use the most often on a day to day basis.

I have a medium sized alcohol stove. Like the big brother of the Trangia. I think it was designed for boats.

I have a collection of older Coleman equipment. A 2 burner stove, a two mantle lantern, and a 1946 Coleman 530. All of these are set up to burn white gas and gasoline. The 530 will also burn diesel, lamp oil, alcohol, kerosine, and some sort of paraffin fuel that isn't available anymore. It would probably burn carbide like a miners head lamp. I tend to look at things in very simple terms. You could beat someone to death with that "Pocket Stove", render the fat from their body, and cook them in to a stew.

If I had to chose just one thing, just one form of stove for the rest of my life it would be something like a cast iron braizer, maybe a large dutch oven, a four gallon rendering pot maybe. I mean, if it had to last me the rest of my life a stove probably would not be my first choice, it would be thongs that will last a lifetime or two that I would have no hope of replicating on my own.

The other problem with questions like this is that you must define "best" and the parameters that it will be used, availability of fuel, types of cooking that will performed, etc.

wood fire + black iron frying pan or griddle when possible.

Jewellann

I have a Coleman dual-fuel single burner stove. I retired it after only two uses, after it suddenly became enwrapt in flames one day. Luckily I had it outside. Had to douse it with the garden hose to put the fire out. Would have been very bad juju in a van!
Liquid fuel stoves are banned from my van!

Txjaybird said:
Is that a sterno cooker or what?

Jewellann
Alcohol, low BTUs, only last a few minutes, used for hikers & mountaineers to minimize weight, good to boil up drinks and prefab meals.

There are lightweight gas units last longer per session, very little space, but not big enough for bigger group meals, when you've got a van to cart around something bigger.

My Colman Butane single burner is the best small stove for my Van. The canisters may be costly, but they seem to have more heat and cook at the lowest setting. They are not good in freezing temperatures. But I am not good in freezing temperatures and avoid a cold cold van. I have used Colman liquid fueled, Propane fueled, Alcohol, Kerosene, Wood, Pine-cone gasificators, and some I can't remember. I like an inductive cooker, but they do use much power.

Van-Tramp gave good advice. And there's nothing saying that you couldn't use BOTH a larger propane tank and a small 1# cannister, changing to the one that is most suitable for what you're doing at the time. Just heating water for coffee? Use the little one. Fixing a big meal? Use the big one.

I like to cook so these Silicone pot holders come in handy. The don't get dirty and can be used as pot holders, trivets, jar openers and coasters in the vehicle the honey comb pattern catches a minor spills.
https://www.amazon.com/Uniwit-Resis...89184775&sr=8-15&keywords=silicone+pot+holder

Also these silicone spoon rests double as knife fork and spoon holders on grungy tables, snack dishes, pot holders and of course spoon holders and sponge holders. I like multi purpose  
https://www.amazon.com/ORBLUE-Flexi...=8-1-spons&keywords=silicone+spoon+rest&psc=1

=Cosmo

The truck camper that I like has space for a 20 lb. tank and it's about chest high off the ground which would be tough for a 60+ woman to manage. But I guess a 10 lb. tank could be substituted for short trips, assuming the connector is the same size. Or I could find a stronger person to lift it. I'm fairly strong but have a weak lower back and can only lift a full 20 lb. tank a few inches off the ground, like just high enough to set it on the shelf under the BBQ pit.

My Instantpot pressure cooker. Yes i have the battery and solar power to support it.

Michael4104 said:
My Instantpot pressure cooker. Yes i have the battery and solar power to support it.

How much does that take? Interested because debating whether to take mine on the road.

I use a small homemade alcohol stove that I have had for years for backpacking. It's made from a couple empty soda cans and is smaller than a hockey puck, it has no moving parts or connectors to lose, and it'll boil a pint of water in about ten minutes. I run it mostly on denatured alcohol from the paint department at Walmart, but in a pinch it'll also run on rubbing alcohol or (in a REAL emergency) 151-proof rum.

Pkayell said:
How much does that take? Interested because debating whether to take mine on the road.

Not sure I understand your question. The instantpot is a 1000 watt machine, so it's power hungry.
I have 415 watts of solar panel energy, 360 amps of lithium batteries and a 3000 watt inverter so I don't pay much attention. The next time I use it I will hook up the Kill-A-Watt and see.

I just bought this one for my new van:
http://amzn.to/2lPnf3M

It's dual fuel (propane bottles of all kinds and butane canisters). It's tiny and stainless steel and being able to use both fuels is a plus. You get the best of both worlds, the portability, the easy lighting, and tiny form factor if butane and the cheap fuel of propane.

I 've never, ever had a problem filling my 1 gallon or 2 1/2 gallon bulk bottles. Maybe I've just been lucky for the last 9 years. Everyone laughs at them but then they fill them. I have only paid for the fuel they took, 1 or 2 gallons.

akrvbob said:

It's dual fuel (propane bottles of all kinds and butane canisters). It's tiny and stainless steel and being able to use both fuels is a plus. You get the best of both worlds, the portability, the easy lighting, and tiny form factor if butane and the cheap fuel of propane.
Looks very nice. I have the same setup with my Iwatani, more powerful but a little bigger, and with the propane conversion adapters, much more expensive.

akrvbob said:

I like this a lot! Thanks!