The "IF" Thread For 2117 RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Txjaybird said:
:D  I've just traded in my Viking on a 2004 Aliner.  It's perfect for myself and my attack Chihuahua, Queenie. 

Jewellann

Good luck in that A-liner.
We used to own a 1994, and really was pleased with it, but found it was too small for us, and I couldn't get into the opening all the storage areas up, to find my stuff. ;)

But have seen others with them, and they really love them.

So Hope it fits your needs!!!

I looked at the Aliner, and liked it, but couldn't deal with the roof sloping right over the bed
I want headroom in that spot
sure would have been easy for the Ranger to tow, though

Bonbon, congratulations, I bet you are as happy as can be. I've seen pics of them glamped. Dont know if that's your thing but you can do a lot to make them 'your own'.

Jewellann, I'm sorry you're not able to make it to RTR. I hope we'll meet sometime.

I would like to volunteer my camp for an "everyone-invited afternoon visit and fix-it."

I have no sewing machine but we could hand repair items or winterize boots or waterproof jackets or re-grommet tarps or make screens or whatever and just have a good time.

Any interest?

Sassy

***Camping near center fire in white hi-top with blue EZ-Up***

I will be there and be glad to assist.  I can also bring a machine.  Treadle machines are big and heavy. I couldn't get it and my dog in the van.  

Bob, 
The hand held machines are junk.  Mainly they work as a quick fix. Usually tape will do the same thing.  Hand sewing will work and be reliable if you do it correctly.  I have dresses that are over 100 years old that are completely handsewn.  The glue works but is not water safe.

I have lots of sewing supplies. If people have something special they want to do and don't have the equipment, let me know.

dragonflyinthesky said:
Bonbon, congratulations, I bet you are as happy as can be. I've seen pics of them glamped. Dont know if that's your thing but you can do a lot to make them 'your own'.

LOL Thanks dragonflyinthesky, but Hubby has gotten rid of it a long time ago.
He has traded or sold everything he has bought, traded for or inherited in the past 45 yrs, all except ME. (Thank God) so anything we have today, is subject to being gone tomorrow.
The A-Liners are great ways to travel, and easy to tow. 
I just didn't like the storage space and how you access it. 
Thanks tho for the tip. 
Sharon ;)

ArtW said:
I looked at the Aliner, and liked it, but couldn't deal with the roof sloping right over the bed
I want headroom in that spot
sure would have been easy for the Ranger to tow, though

I'm the same way about the ceiling being too close to my head.  I went on the Aliner site and looked at some of the floor plans.  Then I pulled all the cushions to the kitchen area and looked at the space where they had been.  It turns out that I can have a twin size bed running from the back towards the front on either side of the trailer.  

That means I'll be able to access the under bed storage that is side to side across the back easier and also be able to have some "table top" space for my PC and TV/DVD player.  There is maybe as much floor space as in a longer van, just everything has to be below the hinges of the upper sections when packing for towing.  I've gotten some really good Ideas about storage just by reading what others are doing/building here.  My problem is I forget where I put stuff...often for the things I put in a special spot so I wouldn't lose them :s  

Now I'm figuring out how to sew curtains for 5 different sizes and styles of windows without using too much material.  3 windows are triangular and 3 others "bubbles" in the roof sections.  There is a total of 9 windows.

Hope you make it to RTR

Jewellann

I wish I'd thought of that, mattress on the floor would make sense
I think because I'm stationary I had 'flush toilet' on the brain, too, and the Aliner I looked at was the smallest one, which would be cramped to live 'in' as I have to in mosquito country, but great to live 'out of' in less buggy climes, so now I have a trailer I need more truck to pull, at least in hilly terrain, oh well, live and learn...and get Luvs haha
I have every intention of making RTR
IIRC you won'r make RTR, right? Bummer

Art, you make a good point. We use to camp out of our van, out of our 13 foot trailer and tent. When bad weather hit the van just sucked, The trailer was a little better and the 10x20 tent wasn't to bad because we had room to move around and more comfortable seating.

I had the idea of a tent, too, but if it grts cold, windy, and rainy, a fella could get cold, wet, and out of a tent lol
I even considered a 10x17 'portable garage' thing
The biggest problem with living out of a Ranger with a camper shell, is gonna be when the weather's nasty and i have to use the bucket, no way could I pull that off in the cap, I can barely sit on my butt in there without hitting the top
wish I'd spent a few $$ on my crappy little 4x8 cargo trailer, wasn't really thinking too straight I guess

sassypickins said:
I would like to volunteer my camp for an "everyone-invited afternoon visit and fix-it."

I have no sewing machine but we could hand repair items or winterize boots or waterproof jackets or re-grommet tarps or make screens or whatever and just have a good time.

Any interest?

Sassy

***Camping near center fire in white hi-top with blue EZ-Up***
I like the idea of a fixit hangout time. I usually have a few things that need some sewing. Like right now, sewing magnets in the corner of the shade cloth that I put over my windows, and a fleece hat that is safety pinned but not cut or sewn. I've got a pair of shorts with the pocket ripped out.  Etc etc etc. ad infinitum

Ok, I'll separate this out to a new post tomorrow and we'll see what comes up. Sassy

Txjaybird said:
:D  I've just traded in my Viking on a 2004 Aliner.  It's perfect for myself and my attack Chihuahua, Queenie. 
I recently got to look inside an Aliner and I was seriously impressed.  Before I got inside one I would see an Aliner and think to myself "what a pointless idea."  Now I understand!
The headroom is incredibly generous and I am 6' tall.  The design is clever, lots of windows, excellent use of space.  Easy to tow.    It's on my shortlist of possible boondocking platforms.

jimindenver, masterplumber, Queen, towhee Nancy, wagoneer Adrian, JannaB, Traveling Vanlady,

Aha!  I finally found this thread where the idea to have a fixit get-together was started.  I forgot where it was!  

Anyway, to everyone here who expressed interest, YES!  Do come over to our camp around 1 pm on the 11th.  We'll try to be at the same spot as last year pretty close to the center campfire area, across from Nelda and Jerry, next to Tony and Karen.  White hi-top, blue EZ up if it cooperates.

Again, I don't think I have enough power to run a machine and I don't have an inverter anyway, but if someone can provide the means, sure, let's do it.  People can help carry stuff or you can drive over.

See my other post "Fix 'n Gab" at RTR 2017

See you soon and a very Merry Christmas, everyone!

Sassy

...Nelda, I completely missed about the chocolate peanut clusters.  That's just not like me, the chocoholic...

frater secessus said:
I recently got to look inside an Aliner and I was seriously impressed.  Before I got inside one I would see an Aliner and think to myself "what a pointless idea."  Now I understand!
The headroom is incredibly generous and I am 6' tall.  The design is clever, lots of windows, excellent use of space.  Easy to tow.    It's on my shortlist of possible boondocking platforms.

:)  I was lucky to get the Aliner as it was on consignment and just listed on craigs list a few hours earlier.  I think I was the first to call.  It's not as EZ for me to raise up the roofs as they do in the videos because of old injuries and old age creeping up on me.  However with a ladder to step up on I can raise the roof and set the sides and secure  them in less than 15min.  I move slowly and carefully when I'm alone and climbing up on things.  My model 2004 LX has a empty weight of appx 1,000lbs.  pulled great with my Ranger truck and the Safari van I have now will hopefully do as well.

Jewellann

sassypickins said:
jimindenver, masterplumber, Queen, towhee Nancy, wagoneer Adrian, JannaB, Traveling Vanlady,

See my other post "Fix 'n Gab" at RTR 2017

See you soon and a very Merry Christmas, everyone!

Sassy

...Nelda, I completely missed about the chocolate peanut clusters.  That's just not like me, the chocoholic...
:) Sassy, I sure wish I could be there with all of you.  I still can't find your Fix 'n Gab post however I caught the chocolate peanut clusters over here at Ft. Rucker AL :D 

Happy Holidays

Jewellann

Jewellann, I wish you could be there, too. Hope your tooth is better and you can get back to important stuff like enjoying chocolate! Teeth be damned - even if they all fall out I will still enjoy my chocolate.

I put that post in under "Gatherings" since it had to do with RTR.

Sassy