The "IF" Thread For 2117 RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Txjaybird

Reaction score
:D  I've just traded in my Viking on a 2004 Aliner.  It's perfect for myself and my attack Chihuahua, Queenie. 

Before anyone goes there I am a responsible animal owner and she has never bitten anyone she "warns" unknowns when they become too close to us or the Ranger when she is "watching the truck".

THE IF* FACTOR

*I make it to RTR

*Have a source of Elec

I would like to do a class/seminar on simple clothing repair and alterations, IF anyone would be interested?

I will bring my sewing machine and plenty of supplies, and a iron in case there is a elec. source

*IF no Elec. no biggie hand sewing is a good thing IMO

I'll include hand hemming  

Simple curtain making

Zipper replacement

How to flatten blue jeans side seams before hemming {bring your own britches and hammer} :D 

Due to 3 issues I have going on with my hands this will be a "SHOW and TELL"   my part with some "doing" by me.

A " Hands On Experience" that parts you guys

These would be an equal opportunity with no age or gender bias.  I began learning to sew on buttons at the age of 3.
 My sons father built custom sportnig rifles and sewed sleeves for his rifle and shotgun barrels, he was a old sew and sew!

Sooooo IF I get there would this suggestion fly or get shot down?  I'm open to 1 on 1 IF no classes and I'm up to it.

IF there are other sewer's you'd be welcome to pitch in your skills and knowledge

IF I can't make it perhaps someone else could do this IF there is an interest
I hope to meet many of the tribe at some point     :D 

Jewellann

I don't think I will be alive in 2117...hehe

Txjaybird said:
THE IF* FACTOR

*I make it to RTR

*Have a source of Elec

I would like to do a class/seminar on simple clothing repair and alterations, IF anyone would be interested?

I will bring my sewing machine and plenty of supplies, and a iron in case there is a elec. source

Jewellann

Thank you for your offer. I lived on boats for many years and have books on canvas making but don't have any practical experience. I would like to have a simple heavy duty machine for just that, (any shopping suggestions?). 

Sewing machines do not use a lot of electricity. You could run an inverter off of your vehicle, Park next to someone driving a solar billboard, (and help them with their excess capacity), or get a small cheap generator and make a sound dampening box for it. https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Pow...TF8&qid=1474050283&sr=8-14&keywords=generator Someone there may have a small generator that you could borrow, (maybe in exchange for the classes).

IF I make it to the 2117 RTR, I'll be driving my solar powered flying van;)

If thread? No ifs about it. :)

Just have Queenie back that little aliner up next to the rolling power plant and I'll make sure you have power.

Sounds cool. :) I won't be able to be there but I think it's great.

Some of the best stitchers I've known were guys---self-taught so they could redo automotive upholstery for themselves. LOL One turned it into his career by word of mouth.

I have a Honda generator from my truck camping days. If you want to use it let me know. I don't know how long I will be staying so that might be an issue.

Great idea for a sewing repair class. I would be interested. Most interested in hand sewing as I don't have any skill with the machine.

I have in my stick house a 1927 singer electric machine. I have kept it even though I am poor at sewing because it is sturdy and can handle heavy fabrics. I really don't know if I will ever really learn to sew well though.

Maybe look into finding a Treadle machine?

That is what I learned to sew on, and made my own wedding dress on the same machine. They are not "light" or "portable" but usually the machine folds down into the console and it can double as a table. And often they have a flip out side table for more work space.

I may have a older Singer myself, you can teach me how to not run my finger under the needle. I know somewhere we have a battery operated hand held model.

I would love to learn a few basics, mostly things like repairs in the field that will look better than the hacks I do now. My mother in law has shown me how to use the machine a few times, but it's always so long between needs that I forget and end up having her do it, like sewing my trailer curtains. I hope you can make it to RTR - would love to meet you.

Sewing is a skill I would like to acquire, dunno if I'll make the RTR though, depends on available vacation time from work

DannyB1954 said:
Thank you for your offer. I lived on boats for many years and have books on canvas making but don't have any practical experience. I would like to have a simple heavy duty machine for just that, (any shopping suggestions?). 

I have sewn in sewing factories making garments and hot air balloons.  The commercial machines are heavy and even used ones seem expensive to my way of thinking.  I've used Singer sewing machines all my life including my Grandmothers 1940 something black Singer.  Singer does make some heavy duty machines.  I googled sewing canvas with machine and found 2 Singers under $200.  The older Singer's and Kenmore's seem to hold up well.
A lot depends on both the thickness of the fabric and seams to be sewn.  I have never worked with canvas.

IF I make it to RTR I would absolutely be interested in some sewing tips. It's frustrating to need what appears to be a simple thing done, and yet now be skilled enough to do it.

I'll be inheriting mom's singer machines.
The second one is a baby lock (I can cope with the regular one well enough but this one looks complicated).
Then there is the space in the rig problem...........

I have that issue too. It's why I looked at some Class A's with basement storage. I want the Singer because I need to shorten and resew my awning and the Singer can handle it.

A sewing class is a great idea! If you can't make it I hope someone else volunteers to do it.

However, the reality is that most of us are not going to be carrying sewing machines or be willing to do hand sewing.

1) Has anyone used the tiny hand sewing machines? Any good or junk? A review and demonstration of those would be great!
2) What about the liquid thread, is it any good? If so, demonstration of that would be great also.
Bob

akrvbob said:
A sewing class is a great idea! If you can't make it I hope someone else volunteers to do it.

However, the reality is that most of us are not going to be carrying sewing machines or be willing to do hand sewing.

*********************************************************************************
:) I think mainly doing simple stuff like sew on button/hemming pants/skirts/dresses/ making short sleeved blouses/shirts out of long sleeved ones all by hand.

Curved needles are great for sewing up furniture and cushion seams and pillows......sometimes putting in apiece of stronger material material behind the repair can add further use to something that might be too expensive to replace.  Jewellann
*********************************************************************************

1) Has anyone used the tiny hand sewing machines? Any good or junk? A review and demonstration of those would be great!
2) What about the liquid thread, is it any good? If so,  demonstration of that would be great also.

Bob
I have never used #s 1 & 2 above.  I'm in a minority group I know.  I hope to earn a few $$$ or barter as I travel in the future with my attack Chihuahua and sewing machine.   :D   Jewellann