The "IF" Thread For 2117 RTR

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a sewing awl called a Speedy Stitcher. (speedystitcher.com)
Its slow going but very heavy waxed thread , will do leather and most anything lighter.
I've had this thing for about 45 years and it's earned it's price many times over.
I got it at LLBeans but I recently saw one at Wallys for $20

popeye I also have a speedy stitcher. if you have the older one you have the better one. highdesertranger

Looks like a good thing to have especially for heavier fabrics.

I think I have a few Speedy Stitchers. I need one , can't find it buy another. I find the first one, lose both, and buy another.

Maybe need a Speedy Stitcher class.

akrvbob said:
A sewing class is a great idea! If you can't make it I hope someone else volunteers to do it.

However, the reality is that most of us are not going to be carrying sewing machines or be willing to do hand sewing.

1) Has anyone used the tiny hand sewing machines? Any good or junk? A review and demonstration of those would be great!
2) What about the liquid thread, is it any good? If so,  demonstration of that would be great also.
Bob

I bought one of those battery handheld sewing machines a year ago when making curtains for my van. It works, but only on a couple layers of thin material. I stopped using it because what I was folding was too much.

I sew by hand. I never learned how to, I just do it anyway. As long as things I need don't fall apart that's all that matters.

My battery sewing thing will probably be on the free pile next RTR.

Looks like I am not the only one who needs/ wants u around!

That could be a interesting sideline. Have some power tools and appliances that people can't carry, rent them out along with the power to run them.

I hope to be at 2017 RTR not like last year when i was there and had to leave before it started.
I travel with a sewing machine. Sewing in the middle of nowhere is awesome to me. I have a folding table and solar panel. Traveled across the US last year sewing and doing alterations.
Also make silver jewelry for peace of mind.
JannaB

JannaB said:
I travel with a sewing machine. Sewing in the middle of nowhere is awesome to me. I have a folding table and solar panel.

Janna, do you use a lot of power with your machine? No prob running off solar? I have a machine also and large fabric stash. I just play for fun though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most sewing machines use 1 amp or less at 120 volts, (10 amps @ 12 volts), and that is only when the machine is working. Probably more time is spent preparing to use the machine than actually using it. The computer machines might use a tiny bit for the microprocessor,( the computer machines might need a pure sine wave inverter), and most all machines have a light. You could take the light out if you sewed outside during the day. If you turned the inverter off when not sewing, you could save a little more.

If you sewed for 2 hours and actually used the machine for half the time, that would be only 10 amp hours of electricity, (plus inverter loss). Unless you were doing a production line, I think most solar systems could handle it easy.

Thanks Danny.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In general, any newer machines will be made completely out of plastics with some metal or nylon bushings in them. The older ones from 1920-1970 are usually built like tanks by comparison, being made out of steel until the mid-60's and having a plastic cover on the outside with all steel or brass on the insides after that. These older machines are like boat anchors, and will easily handle most heavy canvas, denims, or sailcloth and some leather. I've found them at flea markets (not a good idea usually) and thrift markets or yard sales (much better) for $10-50 for either portable units with case or tabletop versions, complete with their own table. All are capable of being used as portable. Can't say about the newer ones, though. Brand names to look for? White, Brother, Phaff and Singer are among the most well known, but by no means the only good ones. Almost ANY of those oldies will work quite well, using 100-150 watts or so on average. Motors will sometimes draw as much as triple their rated amperage during startup due to inertia. A 400 watt inverter ran mine, as I recall. If you get one, have it checked out by someone with experience, get it oiled, etc...

I have an old friend that makes her cash as a seamstress, while I'm an occasional user, so this is the limit of my input....

I have a singer 221 featherweight early 50's comes in a small black wood case, and need to make me some curtains.

Wagoneer, your Singer Lightweight is the object of much lust and envy. Highly prized among quilters and collectors alike, they are among the best straight stitch machines ever made, and seem to run forever. Perhaps that gal will give you some valuable tips on it's use at the RTR....

My first job after high school was sewing vinyl luggage and canvas duffle bags sold at the Naval Training Center........"Flocked" with the Navy emblem ..............

I also have a beautiful Featherweight 221 that's going to travel with me............

I still have to get rid of.......... 2 old bentwood top gold-leaf Singers..................and an old battleship  Singer 328K made in Great Britain

I'm interested! I have a small plastic storage thingy with drawers dedicated to learning needle crafts; knitting, crochet and hand sewing. Eventually when I get some sort of reasonable dwelling the treadle sewing machine will be coming with me.

I have no curtains for the van as of yet. As it's been happening the best I can do right now is rubber cement Velcro tabs on the windows and cut some Reflectix to cover them, then use towels over that for a little more cold air blockage. I'm literally leaving by the seat of my pants.

When will the schedule of classes for the RTR come out? I'm interested in learning as much as I can about everything that will help me in living this lifestyle.

Caryn

:(   I will not be able to make it to the 2017 RTR.  There are too many obstacles in my way at this time.
This really SUCKS.  There are so many people I want to meet and so much I need to learn at the RTR.  I seem to miss out on a lot of the good things.

There are so many of you who have machines and various types of sewing skills and others with solar to spare  and generators  that have offered  to assist this sewing seminar/class.  I hope this sewing thingy can still happen!  Hopefully one or two or three folks will step up and make this happen....Please.

Just tonight I thought of a few things I'd like to pass along.  My Mama {Granma} started me sewing at 3ys old.  My Mother, who the sewing gene skipped never learned to sew.  She has for over 50 years often made her curtains.  At these times she has used towels and flat sheets for curtains with no sewing involved. Right now she has heavy cream colored towels on her bathroom window and cream colored flat sheets for bedroom curtains.  My favorite was the Lavender bedroom set in the late 1950s.  If you need a quick bed skirt to hide that stuff under there just use a flat sheet or shower curtainor big table cloth laid out flat under your mattress. Square or rectangular table cloths can also be used. All of these types of "curtain" materials can be found in thrift stores in good shape and very cheap prices.

No Sewing!  You just determine how long your curtain needs to be from the rod you'll use at the top to the bottom of your window or where you want the curtain to end.  Then pick out towels or sheets long enough to to cover that distance.  

The secret is round or oval clip on curtain rings depending on if you use round or flat curtain rods.  You can also use steel cable fastened to small screw in eye bolts or wooden dowels that have eye bolts in the ends that will slip over various types of hooks on walls.  The dowels  can be painted.

Just fold down the top of the "Curtain" and clip on a curtain ring, then do this all across the top.  Use as many or as few rings that you want.  I usually do every 2 to 4 inches, depends on how wide your window is.
Sheets or towels can be doubled if you need to. 

If you have short & wide windows these can be hung cross ways instead up and down.  Just fold the sheets lengthwise top to bottom and the fold becomes the "top" where you clip the curtain rings.

Safety pins are my friends. :)  Right now I have 84in long curtain panels folded up at the bottom to fit my 65in long windows in my bedroom.  Where is my sewing machine you might ask...It's at the back of a 10x20 storage unit that's packed wall to wall and 6ft tall.  I kid you not!! 
These bedroom curtains may end up in the Aliner resewn to fit a 4ftx2ft skylight and 2, 2ftx2ft skylights with hopefully enough to cover at least 2 of the 5 other windows. 

One more thing and I'll stop  Shower Curtains are  Big and have holes in the top, they come in many colors and designs.  I buy $10 to $40 shower curtains at my local thrift store for $2 to $4.  They make great table cloths, bed throws,  curtains, awnings, and slip covers and they are washable just like the towels and sheets!  No dry cleaning ever at my house not even the dry clean only stuff.  If not washable like me and Queenie it's in the wrong house.  I've lost very few of these thrift store bargains by washing them.

Well since I rambled on 'til nearly 4am I reckon I'll go wash dishes.  IT WAS QUEENIE'S TURN!!!

Jewellann

While reading this thread, I remembered a fact from days of old, when I used to do some sewing.
Make sure if you are sewing heavy fabric, like Denim, go slow over those thicker seams, to keep from breaking a needle.
Also there are different needles you can buy for most machines, there are leather needles, which I use for sewing heavy fabric, like Denim, they are not pointed like the regular needles, and are basically ground to a tri-point. They do go thru the heaviest fabric, without breaking and smoother than the regular needles.
Good Luck!!!!
Hope all goes well with that sewing class.