The Beginning of a Never Ending Adventure

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like some profitable hunting, good luck at the sale.

I know the boy scout should shed hunt Jackson hole area and make thousands a year on the antlers so he'll probably find some, has to be national forest and not state to take them though.

Oopslala said:
Been a while since I posted on here.  I spend the majority of my time shed antler hunting lately, averaging about 50 miles hiked a week.  Here's what I've got in a little over a month, selling them tomorrow, should get a nice chunk of money.
a42af231eaf9324e50593effdc308174.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who do you sell them to? Cool way to make a living off natures discards.

There's generally somewhere in most towns out west that buys them, and guys travel around buying them too. Not hard to sell them, just have to ask the locals what places buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I did my math correctly, today marks 1 year of full timing. At a buddies for a couple days in grand junction then I'm headed to where it all started in Gunnison on Monday or Tuesday to do some shed hunting. The shed hunting ban in the gunnison area ends Monday.

Haven't updated in a while again.

Didn't find many antlers since the last posts, funds are running lower than I'd like. Headed back to Michigan to get a job until spring rolls around.

I was wondering how you were doing. I was visiting our younger son up near Dubois WY last weekend - he lives and works on Game and Fish land there. We went out shed hunting one afternoon and didn't find anything. He has found a few, but nothing significant. There is one area he thinks no one has gotten to yet, but with the heat the river was still to high to safely cross. Even the creek we crossed later was pretty tough, and that was right above an irrigation head gate where there was a low concrete structure in the water to slow things down. The area is closed to human traffic until May sometime because it's a designated Elk winter range. He said his boss told him that at midnight on the day they opened it up there was 32 cars lined up. This is 15 miles down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. many had horses and covered huge areas so by the time my son had graduated and got there at the end of May it had already been pretty well picked over.
Hopefully you can find a seasonal job that is enjoyable and well paying back home, so you can head back out next Fall. Give me a shout if you head back through Colorado.

Guess it’s time for my semi annual update. I’ve been back traveling since March 3rd, put in the first true day of Shed Hunting and pulled 2 out, can’t complain about that in 4 hours. This time I came with an enduro motorcycle on the back and even got the dog to ride comfortably with a little training. We only go 15 at most but that’s plenty fast for the dirt roads I try to go up. Big goal of 400 total sheds this year, 2 down 398 to go hahaha. Also got a GoPro and a laptop to edit on, so there may be an occasional video or two in the future.

Masterplumber, my dad worked st the KOA campground there one summer when he graduated high school. I’ve never ventured that far, I have a (probably) irrational fear of grizzly bears and wolves. I’m still trying to build up the courage to overnight tent camp in wolf territory. I saw they’ve been banning Shed Hunting until may like crazy this year too. Colorado now has a $40? Fee to shed hunt as well, as well as the season ban until may around the gunnison area. My spot from my first year was picked clean last year in Colorado too. I’ll definitrly be back in Colorado sometime, probably once the rattlesnakes make an appearance where I’m at now.

There’s seems to be a reoccurring theme to nearly every night lately; waking up to critters outside.

Ive has a confirmed bear visitor at 5:30 AM, something that had some loud thudding but slow steps one night they, “hey bear” seemed to deter the other way, I expect that was a moo cow. Then I’ll hear random one time occueingn noises outside then fall back asleep. Oh and I think I have a god damned mouse.

Nothing gets the heart pumping like hearing the thud of bear steps and it’s deep breathing just outside your opened (but screened in + with dog wire on the inside. Clicked the side I sleep on closed and it proceeded to trot off.

Clock just rolled to 1am as I hear yet more movement outside. I rarely ever had this issue last year, not sure what’s changed.

I made it to Colorado April 27th I think it was, and have been shed hunting since. Just got back to reception for the first time in a while to find out one of my absolute favorite spots I’ve ever camped is engulfed in a 41,000+ acre fire because some dumbass couldn’t respect a fire ban that had been in place since mid April.

But the shed count is up to 142 on the year, after a week of binge watching the World Cup I’m going to work my way to northern Colorado and pray the wild fires stop popping up.

I’m hearing that they are thinking about shutting down the national forests in the south west of Colorado until they get some moisture.

Time for the every few month update again.

Since the last time I posted I’ve been home, back to Colorado, home then to New Mexico where I’m currently at. I’m getting a job in wildland firefighting next year so was meeting up with some potential crews, only to be not referred in this region but referrred in region 1 with the exact same application.

I’m still camped pretty high up at 8500 feet, it’s probably time to lose some elevation soon. I was planning November 14th roughly but it’s hard to stay when you can see your breath 24/7, I’m thinking I’ll head straight to Ehreneburg once I leave here.

I had a pretty good year shed hunting, I’ve found 222 as of this morning but hope to get to 250 on the year. I’m not holding my breath though, I’be already stayed too long in my favorite spot so I’m up a random service road poking around waiting for the weather to turn or to get cold enough to leave.