The Beginning of a Never Ending Adventure

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple days ago, I woke up to a hot air balloon landing right next to my camper. It was pretty interesting watching them pack it all up to do it all again.

Packed up camp today in Sedona and drove to Mayer, I plan to be here for a couple week. I had a pretty close call once I got on the dirt roads, should have dropped the camper and drove with only the truck to check it out, but my stupid self didn't. The road turned into rough hair pins with no sites, eventually found one tiny sight. It took me about 15 minutes to get the rig turned around, pretty damn stressful. But, we made it and we're all set up now.

Well, I'll be ehrenberg bound on Monday. Hopefully i find the group that's already there eventually.

I think I've decided it's time to get another dog. I toyed with the idea of getting a smaller dog like a dachshund, chiuahaha mix, and a couple other smaller breeds but decided to go bigger. The amount of time I spend hiking long distances there's no way it'd be able to come, so that would keep it alone in the camper a lot of the time.

I've always had a thing for beagles and hounds, and I currently have a hound/beagle mix. Their just the perfect size in my opinion, and love the outdoors and being on the move.

Thankfully, I've found a place that'll allow adopting while traveling in a fifth wheel. Now the wait to find the right beagle begins!!

My first dog was a beagle, loved everything but the howling.

There is a cute little black miniature schnauzer at a rescue not far from here. I'd love to adopt it but am waiting to see how I do on the road.

There are two important factors to a boondocking dog that are unique to their wild, natural life:

1) They will be in regular contact with predators that see them as prey--they are dinner. The bigger the dog the less appealing he is.
2) They will be in regular contact with prey, and be very tempted to chase them off into the boonies--for dinner. The less of a prey drive/chase instinct they have, the safer and longer their life will be.

I had to deal with his instincts to chase before I came out here. He's to the point now where a loud yell will freeze him in his tracks. I still make him wear a shock collar on the off chance he decides not to listen and chases game. He did very well when we got bluff charged this year, just sat there barking next to me. Obviously a new dog will have new obstacles but I'm confident I can get him/her suitable to live and hike with me in the mountains. Fortunately we'll be in AZ until march so there would be the prey for them to chase most likely.

I only let them out when I'm there with them so I'm not too worried about them running off without me noticing.

Just went for a walk and jones pooped, looks like he's got worms. Taking in a stool sampling tomorrow and scheduled his annual shots/checkup for dec. 13. Pleasantly surprised to find out the shots will only be $47 or $59 depending on what he needs.

That's pretty good price on the shots. I always take Wolf in for his annual checkup and shots right before heading to RTR. It seams like it runs about $110 - $120. I used to only take my dogs to the vet if there was an issue - which was rare. Growing up on a small farm I have a pretty good handle on basic veterinary issues and I used to be able to give the shots myself. I don't have a source for the vaccines anymore and it's also nice to have that little certificate as proof if an incident ever happens. I'd hate to see my buddy in doggy jail over something stupid like someone stepped on his tail and he nipped them out of fright.

Just got back from the vet, $31 dollars later (including the sausage biscuit sandwich jones took the pills with) later, and he'll be worm free in a week. 4 pills all at one dose. I was quite pleased with the price and professionalism. I went to the vet in Blythe, CA. If you need to get a pet seen plan ahead and set an appointment, they're 2 weeks out for openings most times.

Dec 6th he gets his shots and heartworm check, then he'll be all set for a year.

Adopted the 2nd dog today, got a beagle german shepherd mix, odd right?

I'd post a picture but every time I try it fails :(

Would like to meet you and your dogs. I'm in Ehrenberg now but camped far out in the burbs, not sure where your at. Let me know if your intetested.

Don't know if the new pups going to work. She absolutely hates the camper so far, and can't do stairs. Gonna give it a week or two but I'm not getting good vibes right now.

As for meeting me, right next to the group in ehreneberg, but I'd like to wait until I get the dog issue resolved.

Also forgot to mention that I'm doing this through a foster to adopt group, so she will have a home to go to if it doesn't work out.

Give her time, you never know what the poor thing has gone through or why she is acting this way. It's a enormous change, new person, new home, new ways of doing things, might be a bit freaked out until she and you get use to things.

I had a young dog once that would not use the stairs.  All it took for her to use the stairs was some tempting with turkey meat.

Finally downloaded tapatalk so time for a few pic heavy posts from Colorado:
6ae50cf290269d787a5f01964ad26762.jpg
3b43b128c0b64569ab616d4ebfcfae6d.jpg
f29fb5bfc1ae0f205827e7556cdf2502.jpg
e3fbb62e49fae71a7ea326c42123a9c1.jpg
49fbf01a23bcd1f70bb64213d78a70c5.jpg
85bfbeb97c55e93615509ff40d148aca.jpg
6cfc65f77aba22fbbcce9bb897fd8b84.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk