The Amazing 5 Gallon Bucket

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a shop vac top at Home Depot that snaps on any five gallon bucket. Cost less than $20 and works great. I can still use the bucket for washing the van or whatever and the top takes up little space.

I use a couple of 5 gallon orange "Homer" buckets as ebuckets (from Dave's Garden Forum... some of you might enjoy their Container Gardening Forum). I planted a Thompson Seedless grape and a Red Flame grape in a bucket each. I have two more cheapie Dollartree plastic colanders and need to buy two more buckets and a few plants.

BTW, Our Home Depot carries Gamma Lids in stock. And the orange Homer Buckets are food grade plastic. Just an FYI in case you are interested.

Just a word of warning. Bringing plants into CA is not allowed any more than bringing produce in is. I am having to give away all my houseplants before I head West.

Figured out that the picture I was trying to post of the reflectix wrapped 5 gallon bucket was too big, so here's hoping that this one works.

Attachments

• Reflectix wrapped bucket - Copy.JPG
    Reflectix wrapped bucket - Copy.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 65
I always carried a bucket with a screw-top omega lid with me...below are some of the uses.....

Dry Storage while rafting.
Seat.
Shower water with my Zodi
outback toilet (double lined with HD garbage bags)
ottoman
full of water used as an anchor for my awning in high winds
flipped over for impromptu drum circle
washing machine (put in soap, water and dirty clothes and drive for a few hours..rinse and dry)
buoy when sinking a mesh bag in the river to chill beer
bail bucket for boat
garbage can (strapped to the rear ladder on the van)
filled with ice as a cooler
lid used to fan flames on a camp fire
sound amplifier with my tiny battery powered guitar amp inside
filled with blueberries from a secret spot on the blue ridge parkway

gamma lid ^

-Sink/water dump when washing dishes, brushing teeth, etc.
-Only in emergencies will I use it as a toilet, in which case I line it with TWO trash bags, do my business, tie the bags individually, then put the lid on tight (usually I can just rest the lid on top and any stinky water will not leak through).
-Table, prep area for food

I also have a second lid with a hole, which also does double duty: in I need to do laundry, and it serves at my tip bucket, since I'll often busk at farmers markets and festivals with my balloon twisting.

I also plan to make a swamp cooler out of another bucket when I get out of the humidity.

Who has some pros and cons for 5 gallon vs smaller? I certainly never use all 5 gals and it does take up a fair amount of space.

bumping this thread. great information in the bucket link.

Stargazer said:
I don't carry a bucket but now you have me rethinking that. 

Me too!  I have a flushable 5 gallon toilet I use when camping, but it takes up a lot of space and only serves one purpose (well, OK, technically two).  :p

I'm not fond of the idea of pooping into a garbage bag in a bucket, though I did it a few times as a kid when the plumbing went out, but the multiple uses for the bucket make it sound like a good idea!  

I could definitely see washing cloths and dishes in it, and maybe even using it for bathing, though I do have a shower-tube mounted to my crossbars for bath time..

I use buckets.  I have posted this pic a few times lately.
oregon 047.jpg
there are 17 buckets in that pic.  highdesertranger

Attachments

• oregon 047.jpg
    oregon 047.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
it's a 1951 GMC short bus that's been converted to a MH. it has a way to big, beautiful wood burning stove in it. it has not moved in years would have to be totally gone through. the lady that owns it will sell it. I have though about it, but would take a lot of money to bring up to my standards. highdesertranger

Just put a GAMMA LID on a bucket. Takes a hammer to do that but got it on okay. Don't think the buckets can nest with a GAMMA LID. But the screw on and off action is so nice.

I've always thought that if we were in a spot long enough that a bucket toilet in a potty tent would do well. The difference would be I'd dig a hole, cut the bottom of the bucket out to sit over the hole and put the bag down into the hole with its bottom cut too. This way you have a out house cat hole and the bag keeps the bucket clean. Toss a shovels worth of dirt in after each use to keep the smell and flies down.

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Humanure Toilet. Done properly, there's no smell, and you're left with compost for a garden.

Here's the link: http://humanurehandbook.com/humanure_toilet.html

I'd also add that getting a good food grade bucket with a lid can help you store beans and rice. I don't think I'd store flour in one because I don't use that much, and it tastes bad when it gets old. If you can find a good sale on beans and rice though, I'd be all in for 5 gallons of it.

eapvan said:
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the Humanure Toilet. Done properly, there's no smell, and you're left with compost for a garden.

Here's the link: http://humanurehandbook.com/humanure_toilet.html

I'd also add that getting a good food grade bucket with a lid can help you store beans and rice. I don't think I'd store flour in one because I don't use that much, and it tastes bad when it gets old. If you can find a good sale on beans and rice though, I'd be all in for 5 gallons of it.

The big problem for most of us who live mobile is that we do not have a garden nor any other place to properly dispose of the humanure. I think Canine does do this, however, and finds it works very well for him.

If you are storing beans or rice long enough to use up a 5-gallon bucket, I'd recommend you create smaller packets (best in mylar sealed bags with an oxygen absorber). I'm not sure how well putting oxygen absorbers into the bucket only would work but for a really long shelf life, you would need these. Most prepper or Mormon food storage sites have videos and instructions for doing this.

Latest posts